Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
  1. Collapse Details

Here is a small sketch I made (forgive the powerpoint artwork) of an idea to put more lights on my rig. From the events that I have covered, a big problem is poor lighting as you travel around a ballroom or conference room.

I really wanted to make it an LED solution, as it is both electrically frugal, light to carry and cooler to the touch. I see alot of R/C batteries at Radio Shack, one option,.. or a really cheap rechargeable power tool, either a drill battery or a cordless screwdriver. This should power the LEDs for a good, long time, plus you could carry a spare charged battery in your hip pocket.

Give me any feedback. I don't have the electrical expertise to do this yet, but am reading up to try and figure it out. I think I can wing the rest of it.

One more note.. a lens controller is a MUST.. my video looks great, till I move my hand away to the camera to hit REC or to controll the zoom.. then, shake city! A LANC would go miles toward making it useable.

Joseph
    Last edited by TeamJoeDawn; 03-11-2007 at 08:17 AM.
    TeamJoeDawn

A husband and wife team just "tryin' to get started with the dream" while paying the bills.

http://www.scene6video.com

2. Collapse Details
    I don't see your sketch JoeDawn. I will try to post some pics this afternoon of the window sash. My tripod is not a bogden, so its a different mount.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdawg
    I don't see your sketch JoeDawn. I will try to post some pics this afternoon of the window sash. My tripod is not a bogden, so its a different mount.

Sorry, realized I didn't attach it about 10 miliseconds after hitting the "send" button.

:-) Mea Culpa!
    TeamJoeDawn

A husband and wife team just "tryin' to get started with the dream" while paying the bills.

http://www.scene6video.com

4. Collapse Details
    looks like a good solution. I may have to give that a shot myself The battery at the bottom should balance it pretty well. Stinkin leds and all the mathmatical figuring around them! Let me know if you have any luck with it.

And yes, you need a varizoom remote. I got one just for the figrig.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamJoeDawn
    Is this the DIY thread, or marketplace?

I do get a little tired of people promoting their products in the wrong section.

Sorry, but I had to say it.

J
    It is and I did do this myself which is now for sale on the market place. The items the other cat was refering to are the red clamps from bogen which are not DYI. Hope that clears things up for you.
    Sinivision Productions
    http://www.sinivision.com
    JoeSinicropi
    Joe@sinivision.com

Gear:
    Win XP SP2 - 10K RPM sys drive
    Avid Liquid Pro 7.2
    Tyan Mobo
    2-Dual core Opteron 2.61GHz
    2 Gigs ram
    Pioneer DVDR
    Samsung litescribe burner
    Dual Samsung 930B monitors
    1 TB media raid 0
    320 GIG G-tech ext drive
    ATI X1950 - 512 ram
    650 watt PS

6. Collapse Details
    I just made one! Really stoked. Ill post footage ASAP

7. Collapse Details
    Here's my try at it. I've seen a lot of people using PVC, I wanted something with a bit more rigidity and professional look. Originally I went to a junk yard and got a 20" steering wheel off a big truck, it was pretty heavy and seemed to pose more challenges of attaching the cross bar. Instead I used 3/4" EMT (conduit) and made a jig to bend it. I took some time to measure the camera and get the lens exactly in the center of the circle.

Made a jig:
    I Cut a 16" circle (found an interesting way to do it on a table saw here) Originally I was going to use 1" EMT, but wasn't sure how hard it would be to bend. Also, it wold be a bit heavier. The 3/4" bent fairly easy, just took some jimmying to get it to stay in the jig and adjusting for the overlap

Bending it all the way around was a bit of a challenge, had to lift up my circle a bit so that the EMT could overlap

I placed a curved piece of 1/2" EMT inside the seam and drilled a hole through both and bolted the ends together (I later realized that I could use the same holes to bolt the cross bar)

Added some 1 1/2" angle iron. Had a few pieces of 1/4" aluminum cut to raise up my quick release adapter (needed space to move release lever)

Detail of the bolted together pieces:

Painted it fat black and added some bike handlebar wrap

And the finished piece with an HVX. Now I'm getting started on making a couple remotes for zoom/start stop on one side and focus/iris on the other.

I did some testing today and it works like a charm. It had a bit of flex in the cross bar when I first had it roughed together, but now it's rock solid. I'm sure its a bit heavier than the real deal, but it's around 4-5lbs. All together with the camera on the unit the total weight is 9.5lbs. I'll try to get a better idea of cost in the coming days, I had the EMT already, but I know they are about $7 for a 10' length. The angle iron was about $7 or 8. Bike grip $15. The hardware, maybe another $8 total since I was trying to get exact sizes and head types to minimize bulk and to countersink. Some machine screws I could only find in stainless steel which is quite a bit more than regular zinc plated. Well, I hope this was helpful. Thanks for all those before me on there for the ideas. I'll keep you posted with test footage and such.
    -Justin

8. Collapse Details
    Nice job, seems like a lot of work to ge through when you can get the real deal for about $225 and it's a real piece of gear. For me the issue here is weight more then looks as yours looks great.

Will it fit in the Quick-Base Universal?
    Sinivision Productions
    http://www.sinivision.com
    JoeSinicropi
    Joe@sinivision.com

Gear:
    Win XP SP2 - 10K RPM sys drive
    Avid Liquid Pro 7.2
    Tyan Mobo
    2-Dual core Opteron 2.61GHz
    2 Gigs ram
    Pioneer DVDR
    Samsung litescribe burner
    Dual Samsung 930B monitors
    1 TB media raid 0
    320 GIG G-tech ext drive
    ATI X1950 - 512 ram
    650 watt PS

9. Collapse Details
    Hello All,

I'm new here and actually learned a ton just by reading through this DIY fig rig design ideas. I ended up making one too, a bit of a make shift design but have had awesome results for very little time and money. (obviously the most expensive part was the quick release plate.

I was concerned initially about the weight of the camera, but since I used a thicker PVC (though slightly heavier) it seems rock solid. Here are some photos...

Anyway, thanks so much for all the great ideas!

David in Minnesota
    Last edited by minndavid; 06-13-2008 at 09:48 AM. Reason: images didn't show up

10. Collapse Details
    Carlos- did you ever come up with a solution to your problem? Minndavid- have any footage that was shot with the rig? Lots of good ideas on here.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516