Thread: DIY Butterfly

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I cant say enough good things about amvona.com I purchased three long gobo arms and 3 c stands all for under $150. They usually auction off one a day with no reserves. I used esnipe.com and with patience won bids for my c-stands at an average of $15. I can't say much about shipping because I live in the New York Area.. I had amova hold all my items at the warehouse and paid my Boston friend $50 gas money to pick up the winning items and drive them down over easter & passover weekend.

2. Collapse Details
    I've spent the better part of a decade fooling around with scrim fabrics...

When flammability isn't an issue (and to get big, soft light, hot lights should be a bit away from your scrims) there are plenty of white fabrics at the fabric store with the right transparency. (Take a bolt into the sun with a light meter if you want to know specifics).

"Standard 1-stop white scrim fabric" is a bit of a knee-jerkey choice; it's handy, but white netting of various densities (or a gauzey or cheese-cloth-ey fabric) will knock down highlights, soften things up, open the shadows, but still looks natural; it's a more subtle softening and doesn't jack up the f-stop level. try it in the sun, it can be pretty as hell.

Black netting will knock light levels down but keep the light hard; good for toning down a hot background, etc.

Fabric stores usually have a binder full of "little old ladies" phone numbers for sewing. (You may need several pieces sewn together for a big scrim). I had a nice granny make me a 12' x 30' blackout curtain for $20 (I supplied the fabric)

If you've made a big frame (or own a matthews butterfly), have someone make you a big, black velour panel with one long strip of white, top to bottom, maybe 10" wide. A soft strip light is a killer thing to have for dramatic lighting.

Hot air balloon fabric can get RIGHT up to your tungsten lights (eats 2 or 3 stops though!)

And, a solid black panel can be handy when you need a BIG flag...

3. Collapse Details
    Love that long strip of white idea, thanks Michael!

4. Collapse Details
    Silicon Valley, USA (slightly irradiated)
    I think your "how to" came from dvcreators.net. They also have several free videos there including how to make a cool backdrop cloth for interviews, etc.
    "Jacket... radio... music... ha ha ha ARCADE!"

5. Collapse Details
    hardware stores often sell these white meshy free standing canopies, frame included, but outdoor events. anyone ever tried one?

6. Collapse Details
    What if you glued only half the joints and drilled a 1/4" or 3/8" inch hole for the other half (that's one joint glued and one joint with a hole through it) and placed a bolt with a nut through the hole for easy break down or even change the fabric on the fly?

7. Collapse Details
    Links are dead.

8. Collapse Details
    Sorry, I was in the middle of moving my web site to a new hosting provider yesterday. The links are back up now.

Peace,
    Larry

9. Collapse Details
    I'm going gonzo on all this. I purchased 60 yds of white .65oz ripstop nylon (60" wide) from an online kite store. I want to make a 30x30. At .65oz it should only drop 1/4 stop as it's fairly translucent. I'm going to cut 6 10yd strips and tape or sew them together. Then try to figure out how to build support that can be broken down to easy carry size. First have to find someone who can sew something this big.

Amazingly, the entire bolt weighs less than 10lbs.

Joe C.

10. Collapse Details
    I know you mostly use these scrims/diffusion for use in the sun but can they be used for night shoots too with bright lights?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast