Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
  1. Collapse Details
    Definitely the 50mm f1.4 - it approximates the human eye's angle of view, and is the most versatile focal length: move in for a nice shallow dof, or step back for reasonably wide shots.

I wouldn't get hung up on what 50mm 'means', but generally think of lens focal lengths in three categories:

wide angles (35mm or less in focal length)
    'normal' (35mm-65mm)
    telephoto (85mm +)

eventually you'll want one of each. I'd probably look for a good 35mm or 28mm focal length next. FDs are so inexpensive you can get fast lenses for not much $$ at all.

Also consider Canon FL lenses, the precursor to FD lenses, which are also excellent buys.

Cheers

Brian

PS - in case you absolutely have to know: the focal length of a lens is defined as the distance in mm from the optical center of the lens to the focal point http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=focal_length
    ===========
    Brian Valente
    Redrock Micro
    www.redrockmicro.com

2. Collapse Details
    That was a great read. It was very helpful, now I can start building up my collection of lenses =D
    Canon 7D | Nikkon 35mm f2.0, 50mm f1.4, 135mm 3.5 | Tascam DR-100 | Rode NTG-1 | Jag35 Full HDSLR Shoulder Rig | FCS 2 | FCPX | MBP 15"

Personal Website | Crisp Media Productions

Legit List:
    rahn

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627