Thread: Focusing

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I bought a palm just for that purpose...but don't really like using it.
    It's much quicker and more rewarding to spin the wheel...you also get to see the whole range of DOF for your lens with out constantly tapping on a screen.

BTW, I just came across this:
    http://www.fuerstentum.net/Widget/index.html

I guess if we're starting to lug our laptops to the set anyway...

2. Collapse Details
    Barry, how does this unit look to you? It has pretty good resolution, do you think it is enough to really help with focus? I'm waiting to hear from them to see if they have any goodies that would work to make this one more useful for our purposes.

David

This 7" looks good at $349.

XENARC 700Y™ / 700YV™
    7" TFT LCD Monitor with VGA and Optional AV inputs about 1.28 Lbs.

NTSC / PAL Multi-System (700YV)
    16x9 Aspect Ratio
    High Resolution Display - up to 1600 x 1200
    http://www.xenarc.com/product/700y.html
    Now Available in Silver or Black!
    Xenarc Technologies Corp. is one of the first LCD manufacturers to introduce a 7" LCD screen with VGA input. In-Car computing is the next step in computing technology, and we are committed to serving this up and coming technology sector.
    Don't mistake this monitor for an ordinary video monitor that displays composite video. This 7" monitor has 800 x 480 pixels (2400 x 480 sub-pixels) that help display crystal clear texts and ultra-sharp images through your computer's VGA signal.
    These monitors come included with an instruction manual, a monitor stand, an AC adaptor, a connection cable, and a cigarette lighter car adaptor.

Here is the rest of the specs on it.

For In-Car Computing, PC, Server, GPS, and various VGA Use
    VGA Input (15 pin D-SUB) x 1 (700Y) or VGA Input x 1 & Video Input x 2 (700YV)
    Audio Input / Built-in Speaker (700YV)
    NTSC / PAL Multi-System (700YV)
    16x9 Aspect Ratio
    High Resolution Display - up to 1600 x 1200
    Auto detects 800x480 resolution
    Upgraded High-Brightness CCFL Backlight
    Adjustable backlight level for night-time use
    Pixelworks High Performance Image and Video Signal Processor
    AISS - Advanced Image-Scaling and Shaping
    16:9 / 4:3 Scaler settings *New*
    Last Input memory (700YV) *New*
    Last Power setting memory *New*
    IR Remote Control (700YV) *New*
    Auto power-on upon signal detection
    Automatic display adjustment
    On Screen Display Control
    Metallic Silver or Black Casing
    Copper Stand: 360 / Height Adjustment
    20-Pin heavy-duty connector
    Supports 11V DC ~ 24V DC
    "E" Mark Certified for Automotive use
    Compare Features
    Model #: 700Y / 700YV
    Screen Size: Diagonal 7" (16:9)
    Physical Resolution: 800 (H) x 480 (V) WVGA
    Supported Resolution: 640 x 480 ~ 1600 x 1200
    Dot Resolution: 2400 x 480 = 1,152,000 (dots)
    LCD Panel Brightness*: 400 cd/m
    Display Brightness: 350 cd/m
    Operating Voltage Range: DC 11V ~ 24V, 1A
    Power Supply: DC 12V
    Power Consumption: <8W
    Operating Temperature: 23F ~ 158F
    Dimension (in): 7.75W x 4.75H x 1.38D
    Weight (lb): 1.28
    FCC, CE, E13 Certification
    18 Month Warranty
    Available in Silver or Black
    30 days No dead Pixel Guarantee
    Last edited by David_M_Payne; 03-13-2006 at 05:47 PM.
    check out my tales at www.holywar2.com

3. Collapse Details
    Well, that's the same resolution as the Marshall (don't be misled by the 1600x1200, that's the input signal it can support but the LCD itself is 800x480). The Marshall is surprisingly effective at getting focus; not as good as a native-res panel obviously, but not bad at all, certainly much better than just the viewfinder or flip-out LCD.

You'd have to figure out some way to get the analog component signal converted into VGA if you wanted to try to use that though.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green
    Well, that's the same resolution as the Marshall (don't be misled by the 1600x1200, that's the input signal it can support but the LCD itself is 800x480). The Marshall is surprisingly effective at getting focus; not as good as a native-res panel obviously, but not bad at all, certainly much better than just the viewfinder or flip-out LCD.

You'd have to figure out some way to get the analog component signal converted into VGA if you wanted to try to use that though.
    Thanks for the feedback Barry. I added some more info from Xenarc to my post on the monitor, you might want to check it out. When I get in contact with them I'll ask if they have any thoughts on how to convert an analog signal to VGA signal.

David
    Last edited by David_M_Payne; 03-13-2006 at 06:52 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gilzoo
    Yeah, I bought a palm just for that purpose...but don't really like using it.
    It's much quicker and more rewarding to spin the wheel...you also get to see the whole range of DOF for your lens with out constantly tapping on a screen...
    Where did you get the DOF Palm software? I have been searching for a DOF guide for my palm.

6. Collapse Details

7. Collapse Details
    Got it! Thanks!

8. Collapse Details
    Barry I did a little more searching on the site and found this model. Should work OK, right? And its $249.00

David

XENARC 700V™
    7" TFT LCD Monitor w/ 2 AV Inputs
    This high resolution monitor is perfect for
    viewing DVD's with its 7" wide screen 16x9 aspect ratio. Easy access front control and
    the included remote control allows for the manipulation of all of the monitor's functions.

This monitor offers 800 x 480 display resolution (2400 x 480 dots) in comparison to the 480 x 234 (1440 x 234 dots) that most other 7-Inch TFT LCD monitors offer. That is 242% more dots! See it yourself for the difference in picture quality.

This monitor comes included with an instruction manual, a monitor stand, a Audio/Video cable, an AC adapter, and a cigarette lighter adaptor.
    Last edited by David_M_Payne; 03-13-2006 at 07:37 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Well, $249 is about 1/6th the price of the Marshall, and the Marshall is considered pretty darn inexpensive for what it is. So -- I'd say that I'd be skeptical until seeing it proved.

When it says "AV inputs" -- what does that mean? If it means composite video, then it'd be functionally useless for focus. You've got to have HD analog component inputs, or you're not going to be getting a high-enough-res signal out of the cam to accomplish anything any good. S-video or composite will be limited to around 330 lines.

10. Collapse Details
    Barry- Regarding monitors (not the small camera mounted variety) . . . I read a lot (here) about the Dell 24" and the Panasonic 17 HD monitor. I anticipate that 90% of my work will be shot at 720/24p. Do you, or does anyone, have a recommendation for a reasonably priced monitor with the right inputs but does not necessarily have to handle 1080p?
    Canon 6D Mark II Tokina 11-20, Sigma 18-35, Rokinon 35, 50, 85, 135, GH4, Lumix 20, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast