Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
  1. Collapse Details
    The Southeast right now...but I'm California Dreamin...
    This has been the most awesome thread ever. Thanks for the help folks...seriously.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dougspice View Post
    Write only what they DO see, simple as that. Getting any more specific with descriptions of camera work in the script is usually a mistake.
    This is exactly right, and to tee off further from this, I've found it helpful to consider how to tell my story in strictly visual terms, sans dialogue. Film is obviously primarily a visual medium, and while I love dialogue perhaps more than I should, approaching your story this way helps reduce it to the bare necessities in terms of how you advance your story. It doesn't mean you aim to drive a scene with no dialogue, only figure out how to use as little exposition as possible.

While I'm at it, this exercise reminds me of another mental exercise/visualization I've found helpful. I'm a firm believer that every scene needs to be doing something in terms of advancing some plot line. I picture each scene having knobs which control each plot line. Each scene can turn one or more knobs to advance the story. If you can't easily see how a plot line's knob is being turned in a scene, it's either too vague, or the scene as a whole is deadweight and needs tossing.
    ~ The grand essentials in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for. - Addison

3. Collapse Details
    Junior Member CheapFilmmaking.com's Avatar
    Once a story pops into my head I immediately write it down on celtx already in the right format, just so I won't lose it. Doesn't matter if its the beginning, the middle or the end. This is the time where I'm usually so amped up that all I could think of is to write and try to catch up with the ideas in my head. A couple of pages after this, I slowly loose steam and stop. I'll re-read whatever I wrote and start dissecting: what if this scene goes here, character could say this, etc etc. Then I would start my notes, copying down stuff for research, putting stuff in bullet points so it would quicker and easier to read. These bullets would end up to be the other scenes or parts of dialogue. After this I'll start again with the script.

I find this to be an efficient way for me to write the first draft. It may seem like I have a lot of confidence in myself, but I find it that not thinking twice about it too much and just letting it flow really helpful. I could always clean it up in the 2nd draft.
    Please contact Jason Ramsey for DVXuser advertising rates.

4. Collapse Details
    This might help:

Academy Award nominees and winner 2017 deconstructed: http://www.kalbashir.com/Oscars-2017...-Nominees.html

5. Collapse Details
    These days I no longer do outlines, use index cards, etc. I just start at the beginning and see where I end up. I actually find it very exciting. Found out recently Pinter worked that way as well. This way I really do go on the same adventure as the viewer. It's less manipulative, more organic - writing out of feelings and the unconscious. No agenda. More myserteous. I no longer feel the writer's hand on the back of my neck.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678