Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I am looking for Final Draft for Mac, especially for free.

2. Collapse Details
    For some reason, you have www.simplyscripts.com in your list twice in a row.

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details
    Question
    I'm very new to script writing. Any chance someone can post audio books and/or video tutorial links on the how to screenwrite. I'm willing to pay for the audio/video tutorial if the price is reasonable.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac_Brody View Post
    Copyright:

U.S. Copyright Office
    http://www.copyright.gov/register/performing.html
    Cost: $45

Writers Guild of America West
    http://www.wga.org/subpage_register.aspx?id=1183
    Cost: $20

Writers Guild of America East
    https://www.wgaeast.org/script_reg//#
    Cost: $22

Note: WGA registration doesn't provide copyright protection. For twenty-five bucks more you can protect your work at the U.S. Copyright Office.

Just finished my screenplay and I'm figuring out which of these to get. What's the point of getting the WGA's if it's not a true copyright?

6. Collapse Details
    For Canadian writers, add this:

Canadian Intellectual Property Office
    http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/sc_mrksv/c...cp_main-e.html
    Cost: $65 CAD

It's the copyright section of the CIPO website.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ieditshoot View Post
    Just finished my screenplay and I'm figuring out which of these to get. What's the point of getting the WGA's if it's not a true copyright?
    WGA is instant registration. LoC takes time. But they are currently BEAT testing an online version.

EJ

8. Collapse Details
    Thank you Isaac. Great list and very useful.

9. Collapse Details
    Need your ideas, opinions and guidance for my script!
    First off thanks for any input.

I am a professional actor/writer living in NYC. Many years ago I was also a professional level pool player.

I am writing a script that is about racism and bigotry. The problem that I would love your help on is fairly basic but I want to make sure my judgment isn't clouded because of my closeness to the material.

My story is basicly "The Defiant Ones' (1950's Stanley Kramer Dir., Sidney Poiter, Tony Curtis) in a pool room.

My story is only 2 characters, 1 black man & 1 white man. It's 3am at the start and within minutes of the start I have an attempted robbery (with a fake gun)followed by a knock down drag out fight between the 2 characters inside a closed pool room. There is nobody else there. They wind up being locked in this place with no phones and no way to get out until 10 am later that morning. They hate each other only because of each others race but they are now a captive audience for each other.

The only thing they have in common is they are both incredible pool players. This becomes the ice breaker that starts them dealing and listening and talking and shooting pool some of the most incredible pool they have ever played and starting to understanding what its like living in the other guys shoes.

Obviously there are many details I have not included here.

My questions: 1) Should I establish the place and world and who the 2 characters are before I get to the robbery and fight? Does it seem like I am getting into the 'meat' too quickly?
    Example: Is it better if the story starts 10pm earlier that night in the pool room. The 2 characters are established and seen working and playing and the atmosphere is established along with other customers etc. OR showing the 2 chars. outside the pool room going thru there day letting this lead into the main conflict and story.

Also

2) I'm concerned about only having 2 characters but that is my story. I think it is a belief that a 2 character story for film is a mistake and that there should always be more if only for variety.

Thats it. Hope this makes sense.

If you want more story details I'd be happy to give them.

10. Collapse Details
    JJ,

I'd delete your message and re-post it in it's own thread. This is FAQ about screenwriting.

EJ

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast