Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    I registered my first 3 scripts with the WGA. Glad I read this post about the LoC. Will definitely register them with the LoC now. Thank you for this great post!

2. Collapse Details
    Most of those websites give shooting scripts not actual first written scripts. Any ideas where to get original scripts? Thanks!

3. Collapse Details
    Found this PDF which compares all the major structures: http://www.dramatica.com/downloads/d...digms-0707.pdf

4. Collapse Details
    Alright, I'm new to the industry. I'm preparing to write a script, what would be the best way to protect my script/screenplay? And what is the procedure is required to sell a script/screenplay? Please any reply would be appreciated.

Tall Man

5. Collapse Details
    Write (c) yourname 2012 on it. If you are really concerned someone is going to steal it mail a copy to yourself and keep it sealed. The postmark dates it. Note that ideas cannot be protected, only your actual words. Quite often when a film purchases the rights to a material it is not for the ideas, it's for the marketing potential of association with the source material.

The best way to sell a screenplay is to get an agent. You will need to put a lot of work in before you can do that. Start by writing a few scripts, read a few scripts, submit to competitions, read a few books and solicit feedback. Offer short scripts for free to amateur filmmaker's to see a couple made and get some credits. No matter how good a writer you are, if you've never written a script before it is going to take a few attempts before you get it right. The requirements of prose and scripts are very different. Think of a script more as a technical blueprint, it isn't poetry (dialogue can be). Your audience is actors, crew and production staff. They don't want to get snagged on brilliant flowery language. They just need to be able to find the parts that are relevant to them quickly and clearly. The best scripts are the ones the actors and directors can put themselves into, leave some room for interpretation. They don't want to make your film. They want a blueprint they can turn into their film.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Born Son View Post
    ... mail a copy to yourself and keep it sealed. The postmark dates it. ...
    As has been told over and over and over and over again, DO NOT DO THIS! Worst possible thing you can do. Its not protected and won't hold up in court. PERIOD.

7. Collapse Details
    I won't disagree, that's what I was told to do in all my writing classes but that was some 20 years ago. The alternative? How is it the worst possible thing you can do? If you say it doesn't hold up I believe you but I don't see how it can make things worse. Here in Australia all you need to do is to write (c) yourname 2012 and it's protected. I've personally never done more, certainly never mailed anything to myself. The idea someone might steal a story wholesale is ludicrous to me. Ideas and plot, maybe. But neither of those things are sacrosanct.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Born Son View Post
    ... The idea someone might steal a story wholesale is ludicrous to me. ...
    I agree with you there wholeheartedly. People only steal stuff if they can see a buck in it for them. As for the expression, "Worst possible thing you can do", its an expression, as there are a lot of things you could actually do which would likely be worse.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the feedback. No I haven't finished a script (don't come down on the noob now) but I will. Why I have even thought of selling screenplays/scripts is to fund a film project of mine which currently... well still writing the script lol. So I'm looking for ways to fund. I know that an entire film takes thousands of dollars to make, and the money tree seed I found in the closet hasn't sprouted yet (lol) so I'm trying to find ways to fund it. Is there any other ideas that you guys have for that?

Q: If you copyright your work (and I will if I write to sell, please I'm really new to this) I sell my copyrights as well? Or do I retain any soveriegnty over the idea at all?

Very grateful for the answers guys!

The Tall Man

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345