1. Collapse Details
    What happened to space dogs
    Hey I thought all the Sci-Fi entries were well done, but what happened to Tipper VS the RED hornet???? It didnt look like it got any awards and was not in the top 10. I thought the special effects were excellent, and it was funny, very clever and creative. Did I miss something?

Grant

2. Collapse Details
    Nope, you didn't miss anything. It just didn't place is all. I also liked it, especially that my kids could see one of the films I was watching, but the overall votes must not have ranked it high enough to take a prize and/or place in the top 10.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

3. Collapse Details
    What a shame . I really enjoyed this .A full 6 mins of entertainment .
    Ian

4. Collapse Details
    It should have at least made top ten for effects...

5. Collapse Details
    OK, so I just did a search and reviewed this film.

http://www.youare.tv/watch.php?id=268

Where did this fantastic effort go wrong?

The short starts out great with lots of laughs.

But the second the 'dog-fight' begins between tipper and his nemesis, despite the great effects, the film falls flat. The pace becomes dead dull. Hey, maybe this would have been great on a big screen with the music blasting and 'sub-woofer' shaking the floor. But on my computer monitor these moments are far from the 'cat's meow.'

This was the moment for dramatic dialogue. John Hager missed a real opportunity to get our tails wagging and perhaps he was discouraged by the challenge of animating the character's mouths. This was the moment to explore the comedic, dramatic tension between Tipper and his goof off co-pilot. He could have taken a cue from any number of comedic duos whose comedy is built upon the tension between two characters. Pinky and the Brain; Danger Mouse and Penfold; Abbot and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, Hans Solo and Chewbacca, R2-D2 and C3-PO.

Sure he throws us a bone every now and then. The Red Hornet, peering over his ridiculous glasses which don't do a thing or the Little Rascals inspired moment when Tipper's co-pilot is munching on the wires of the control console. Other Scooby snacks include the moving bone on the radar screen and those moments when we're treated to Tipper's self satisfied smile . But its not enough. This was the time that the characters should have been shouting, fighting the enemy, fighting the inadequacies of the their own vessel and fighting with each other. There could have been some fabulously entertaining mayhem here, all brought out in the dialogue. If it where funny enough, the audience wouldn't even care if the dogs mouths moved.

There's nothing about this film that can't be fixed with a few wee wee pads and a rolled up news paper.

The director's leash may have been a little too long on the effects and a little to short on character development. But even the greats have fallen in this respect. Though not a comedy, Ridley Scott's 'Legend' comes to mind. An amazing film filled with amazing effects, cinematography, scenery, costumes and makeup and characters nobody could give a damn about. Some reviewers have even criticized his masterpiece, 'Bladerunner' for this short coming.

This was an amazing effort and I would encourage the director to revisit this short and rework it to its fullest potential.

I'll be reposting this review in the indivual film discussion threads.