Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Composers Ticker Tape Parade!
    Congrats to the TOP 10 Original Sci-Fi Scores!

A Brief Case 7.1 1st (tie)
    CPU 7.1 1st (tie)
    The Sequence 7.0 2nd
    We Are Not Alone 6.9 3rd (tie)
    Pandora 6.9 3rd (tie)
    Wages of Sin 6.7 4th
    Synthetic Love 6.5 5th

In The Beginning 6.4 6th
    Dead Inside 6.1 7th
    Mi, Robot 6.0 8th
    The Wooligans 5.8 9th (tie)
    Signal Decay 5.8 9th (tie)
    Home Invasion 5.8 9th (tie)
    Bass Cops 5.7 10th (tie)
    Insurance 5.7 10th (tie)

good job guys!
    and good luck on Hero Fest!

I don't know everyones name, so if you were the guy or gal behind the score, step out of the shadows and say hello!

And don't forget to mention your score!

Chris Rojas
    (Pandora)
    (click for Score Samples)
    Last edited by RMI Studios; 03-01-2006 at 12:29 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Well done to everyone, congrats to the The Odd Squad's composer...step up!
    Score sample from CPU: Into the Darkness

Great job on your score for Pandora, Chris R.

-Chris
    Last edited by ChrisHurn; 02-27-2006 at 10:33 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    You too Chris H! I had forgotten that you worked on so many films...good deal! Any cool behind the scenes info, mishaps, footage, images you care to share with everyone?

C.R.

4. Collapse Details
    Oh, and great job on Gaussian Project! I wish I could have heard the score better, it was really buried..but oh well..go ahead and post that score too if you can!

C.R.

5. Collapse Details
    Hey Thanks.

Actually I wrote the score like that mostly, I didn't want to overpower Chad's awesome dialogue.

I had very little time to write it (I think 2 days) - and wanted to save time on mixing on Chad's end. Here's a screenshot I took while working on the score:

I use Cakewalk Home Studio, Garritan Personal Orchestra. For this project I also pulled in a very interesting drone, which ended up being very effective with the harp harmonics I used. IMO.

Here's some trivia:

For CPU, the music was written without seeing the film. Since it relied on so much visually, and wasn't ready to be handed to me, I was given descriptions from spidey, and I wrote the music to that. I think it worked well.

Mi Robot's music was done in a few hours. Aram sent me the clip a few days before the deadline and I still hadn't got Chad's, so I was really pushed for time. Fortunately Aram knew exactly what he wanted - there was some temp music in there which he wanted me to try and stick to, style wise.

-Chris
    Last edited by ChrisHurn; 02-27-2006 at 11:16 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Great job to the both of you! I downloaded your full score for Pandora, Chris Rojas, good stuff! I gotta give my man Matt a bump too. I think our score got overlooked since our film overall didn't play as well, but he did some incredible music. Check out the thread for A PRICE TOO HIGH http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=46457
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film COMPROMISE now available to see!

7. Collapse Details
    www.elmatadorfilms.com

"There's a lot to be said for making people laugh. Did you know that's all some people have? It isn't much, but it's better than nothing in this cockeyed caravan."

8. Collapse Details
    Hey gang. Composers unite! :P

http://crisislab.com/kevin/Home-Invasion_score.mp3

That's the musical-score alone for Home Invasion... although RMI_Studios... I don't know what list you're looking at for that top-10, b/c on the one I DL'ed I didn't make the list. But at least I'm on someone's list. I certainly put a LOT into this score. It starts kinda slow with lots of creepy-crawly stuff, but really gets going about half way (these aren't solo musical pieces after all, they have to follow on screen action).

-Kevin

9. Collapse Details
    Home Invasion got a 5.9, which ties it for 10th! I have 5.9 in my excel score sheet...

HERE'S SOMETHING WEIRD!

gratuitous post-prod footage...shot with my cell phone in January...
    let me know if it makes you laugh as hard as it makes me! i believe it was like 4 in the morning and i was messing around with some french horn stabs, what else is there to do at that hour?

Pandora Scoring Session - french horn action (right click/save as)

C.R.
    http://www.rmistudios.com

10. Collapse Details
    I noticed that a lot of you guys wrote seperate cues for your films. For some reason, I attacked this movie as a whole piece, don't ask me why. I scored it quite literally from start to finish, from opening credits to closing, completely in order. And all within the same ProTools session (I'm probably going to transcribe everything in Sibelius3 for fun, nothing like transcribing a big orchestral score for no reason!)...It definitely made things easier mix wise, which allowed me to both record and mix as i went along (in retrospect this might be why I worked this way), but I can't help but wonder how the score might have turned out differently if I had worked on seperate cues...

I'll get some crazy screenshots up for your guys tomorrow..

Oh and in terms of gear/software used for this score:

ProTools HD, Roland XV-5080, EastWest Symphonic Orchestra library, MOTU MachFive, and I ended up playing a lot of live violin overdubs myself to simulate a real orchestral string section at times.

C.R.
    http://www.rmistudios.com
    Last edited by RMI Studios; 02-28-2006 at 02:06 AM.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast