1. Collapse Details
    Hearing the films..
    Perhaps this is casuing my dismay as I watch the entries..

There are a lot of poorly poorly written and excuted films in here so far... the percentage of good films to quantity submitted is low...

but.. my theory is, that with decent sound recording many of these could be a lot better, but alas, a large quantity of them really suck, and I am almost positive my attitude would change to a favourable viewpoint if the sound was good.

Audio is 50% of the equation. I know it is hard to make a film, I just finished shooting a short film also (reasons why I didn't create a submission for this). But I don't consider it an excuse to ignore the other half of filmmaking...

yet I understand sound is hard... oh the conundrum.

I am about halfway through the entries.. I like about 3 so far.... too many films feel really rushed and not well written.

oh btw.. if you feel I am being harsh, in a month or so you can return the reviews on my work ;) www.dreamsoftfilms.com (when my newest film is edited).

back to watching the others.. and editing..

peas.
    Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.
    http://www.dreamsoftproductions.com

2. Collapse Details
    After reading alot of the posts, it would appear that the films were longer and they've had to shrink them to fit the 6 mins.

So to get across what they want they must've picked the bits they thought were best and put them together. Read the posts for their explanations.

I can't wait to review your work.

3. Collapse Details
    Loki,

It's amazing how hard it is to tell a coherent story in only 6 minutes... I think that was part of the challenge. I agree quite a few films had a hard time getting it done... and I include myself in that lot!

I agree with you on sound... it was one of the areas that stood out to me in a lot of films that needed work. JTyner and I DID pay a lot of attention to sound and music, but that doesn't mean we did a supurb job (would love to hear your thoughts on our film if you want to give some constructive criticism in our film thread).

A lot of us are here to get better and to learn, so I consider that the ultimate goal of the fest. The prizes to me are hearing what people think.

4. Collapse Details
    agreed. 6 min is very hard to tell a story that needs longer than that.

But a well structured idea can be very entertaining in 6 min.

iSTY, I can understand if people had to cut down the length to get it in, but there is a difference between "trimming the fat" and cutting out useful bits of story...

but alas, when you review my work, I didn't have a 6 min time limit.. who knows that may be better or worse... time will tell I suppose..

5. Collapse Details
    I will watch yours for 6 mins then review it

6. Collapse Details
    lol

7. Collapse Details
    Well thats the challenge, to think about a story you can tell in 6 minutes. It seems like quiet a few chose stories that go way beyond that and try to snip it down which in my opinion is not going to give you a coherent story in 6 minutes.
    Its definitly an exercise in picking something very small and making the best of it.
    That I think is one of the hardest things to do but if you can nail it, making a larger film will be a piece of cake because every scene you create will have solid meaning and move the story along. I actually like doing these small ones because of the challenge of trying to think small and keep in engaging. I will probably enter every DVX fest we have because of that.

Yeah Loki, sound was killing me too watching these but I tried to ignor it and stick to the story line.
    UrbanMouse.com

2013 Narrative Reel

8. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    video game company did a market study and discovered that sound was more important than graphics in rating a games overall quality

crap graphics and sound = crap
    great graphics + crap sound = mediocre
    great sound + crap graphics = good
    great sound + good grpahics = excellent
    great graphics and sound = excellent

as far as length

when writing mu script my climax scene was initially 15 pages long ... woops

So I cut a comlication in the story entirely

Next draft, beginning/middle/end was 11 pages

next draft 9 pages

then I started reading the thing out loud and didn't stop cuttin until the script was 6 pages and read at 6 min and 20 seconds

I think my DVD edit will be 6:30 -- pretty much every shot except the car scene was storyboarded with the 6 min time limit in mind
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...