Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    discussion threads before or after voting?
    what do people think? should they be saved until after voting?
    www.elmatadorfilms.com

"There's a lot to be said for making people laugh. Did you know that's all some people have? It isn't much, but it's better than nothing in this cockeyed caravan."

2. Collapse Details
    i think that people would mostly post about the winners... so i guess i vote for threads before voting.

3. Collapse Details
    I agree with TheMacB
    Unintentionally, people pays more attention on films with hot threads, maybe missing other good films with less discussion. I guess there is also a sense of familiarity that can, subconciously, raise your votes towards a filmmaker you admire.

In this case, I vote for threads after the votation
    Pablo
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies." Groucho Marx

4. Collapse Details
    I have seen the threads as in interesting idea.

For me, i saw all the shortfilms and i look into threads only after watching the film to look what people thinks about it. But that doesnt change my mind at all.

In our case, i think our controversy similo thread has had more disadvantages than benefits.

5. Collapse Details
    I hate to say this but I think some of you are putting the cart before the horse. We're not paying attention because there are hot threads, perhaps there are hot threads because those were the films worth watching and commenting on.

I have to be honest, it was pure drudge work getting through many of the entries. Not that I could do much better, maybe next time around I'll submit one and you can post the same thing about me. I'm not trying to come off as superior, I'm just saying that the films that are receiving attention are receiving it for a reason. By eliminating the threads prior to voting, I think the end results would be the same.

Matt
    "If I've learned one thing, never hit on a girl before she takes off the puffy coat..."

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC
    I hate to say this but I think some of you are putting the cart before the horse. We're not paying attention because there are hot threads, perhaps there are hot threads because those were the films worth watching and commenting on.

I have to be honest, it was pure drudge work getting through many of the entries. Not that I could do much better, maybe next time around I'll submit one and you can post the same thing about me. I'm not trying to come off as superior, I'm just saying that the films that are receiving attention are receiving it for a reason. By eliminating the threads prior to voting, I think the end results would be the same.

Matt
    I hear you matt, they are receiving their due attention -- but at the same time in many cases that requires defense for your film. I think what MacB is saying is that letting the films speak for themselves might be a more interesting route.

And conversely, I think the posting results would be the same if we had waited until after. I just don't like to think that the popular DVX posters, (no offense guys -- in fact, this is a compliment) like John_Hudson and briceman and Shaun_Murphy have an affect on other people's voting.

Maybe we could have a watching and voting period,
    And Then a commenting period,
    Then afterwards, a Results period?

s'a lot of periods. But I think it would be a much more sound way of dealing with things, and still getting comments to all of the filmmakers.

el matador films

www.elmatadorfilms.com

7. Collapse Details
    How about the films go up ANONYMOUSLY until after voting... so we don't even know who made what.

Some might be obvious, but for the most part you'd be focused on the movie-only... not who made it.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of comments after... but I can also see the point that the winners would be commented on most. Personally, I'd go for "after the voting" if it were a requirement that as part of the contest you have a month to comment on every film... and only then do the results go up. If you didn't comment (or at least show you made your best attempt to put up something constructive for every film), you're DQ'd.

Though I have NO idea how you'd enforce that

8. Collapse Details
    EditPhish says :
    "How about the films go up ANONYMOUSLY until after voting... so we don't even know who made what.

Some might be obvious, but for the most part you'd be focused on the movie-only... not who made it.

Thoughts?"

I think that's an excellent idea, although my votes weren't made on who made them, but my own humble opinion.

It depends on whether the 'makers' can keep quiet if coaxed. ;)

9. Collapse Details
    While I'd love to see this become a more pure and uncorrupted contest, I'm not yet convinced the current way isn't the best way. It's simple, it encourages discussion of even the films that didn't do as well in the voting, and it keeps us occupied during the gruelling watching-and-voting period. ;)

10. Collapse Details
    I think AFTER the contest results. But that's some self control you're asking from a lot of eager people. lol.

I think one way to stem this could be to release a poster of the film, and maybe even the script. This way it forces people to look at behind the scenes, and then they get to see final film and vote. A sort of education of production perhaps, to kill some 'balloting' time.

Just a thought.

EJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast