Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    JTyner and I both liked Gintaras quite a bit... it was very "twilight zone" and very cool.

Criticisms would be that the lighting during the beginning and end (with the narrator) was a bit washed out.

Music/Sound: I picked up on the use of SoundTrack/Apple Loops... and that's a tough one for me... it takes me out of YOUR story when I hear the loops I'm familiar with... someone else in this fest used a couple of the same loops, and I myself have used them for home-movie type stuff... and it immediately removed me from your story and puts my mind somewhere else.

I can give you a mainstream example of this... The first movie trailers that were hitting commercial TV for "Munich" had some music in them that was the same music used in "The Life of David Gale". Everytime the commercial came on it drove me nuts because it immediately made me think of a different movie! And don't call me crazy... I actually TiVo'ed it and checked it against my "Gale" DVD... I was right.

The average viewer probably wouldn't pick up on things like this... but I say, go original when you can.

The cinematography was very good... I liked your use of shadows. The framing really matched the feel and the pacing/editing seemed "right". The acting was very good.

Overall I enjoyed your film very much! Thanks for sharing it!
    Last edited by EditPhish; 02-22-2006 at 08:51 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Production was great overall - lighting and sound was not as bad as has been indicated by other posts. Really liked lighting in first shot of the older man in the chair, when it turns to color. GREAT art direction - best I've seen in the fest. Very, very nice, especially outside, and in the shot with the older man with golden light on his face contrasting the dark, green wall behind him. I didn't really dig the narrator, but everything else was great. Good job! I hope you get more posts - this is a good one.

3. Collapse Details
    I gotta say, I think my biggest problem with this film was just that the indoor shots didn't come close to how great those outdoor shots looked. I have to admit, I thought the opening monologue could've been performed better, and the story itself didn't immediately grip me (though it's a good idea), but the second we enter that dream I was involved and ready and wanting more. I did like the look of the hobgoblin and the lead did pretty well, but I think I would've liked to see a more obvious plot progression carrying us through. Overall, some thing sI really enjoyed and some bits I didn't really buy into, but pretty nice work.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by EditPhish
    Music/Sound: I picked up on the use of SoundTrack/Apple Loops... and that's a tough one for me... it takes me out of YOUR story when I hear the loops I'm familiar with... someone else in this fest used a couple of the same loops, and I myself have used them for home-movie type stuff... and it immediately removed me from your story and puts my mind somewhere else.
    After having thousands of loops embedded into my head, I completely agree with you. I now hear recognizable loops all over, including within other contest films.
    This was my first project on Soundtrack, but next contest I'll either try to find more obscure loops or most likely I'll just get it scored by someone.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Z B Brox
    I think my biggest problem with this film was just that the indoor shots didn't come close to how great those outdoor shots looked.
    Looking back now, the biggest problem I had with lighting was in terms of intensity.
    We were going for a very dark look, with strong highlights at specific moments. However during those setups, using CTO gels, I really had trouble preserving detail in the highlights while getting enough of the color I was going for. I think I ended up going too dim on a lot of shots to try and preserve that dark look. The one professional light I was using, a 450W lowel omni, just seemed too intense most of the time, but perhaps it would've been better to overlight the scene and just underexpose it??

I also feel that there could have been more fill light in certain shots now that I am reviewing them, however it just didn't seem to fit the mood properly when I was lighting the scene.

Oh well...you live and you learn---and I've obviously got a lot to learn when it comes to the finesse of lighting, but I look forward to giving it a much better shot next contest.

BTW...Our lighting kit consisted of 3 china balls, a lowel omni, a small home depot accent light, foamcore boards, some gels, and a reflector.

6. Collapse Details
    Envision and Briceman:

Thanks for the tips on the compressor/limiter. I'll definitely check into those for next time. Does FCP or Avid Xpress have either of these features built in, or are they strictly found in audio editing apps?

7. Collapse Details
    I think it's more on protools where you'll find these things. Also, I know you can have one on the set while shooting to process the sound.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Nature Shooter
    Come on, there have to be some more comments out there.

Good, Bad...Whatever. I need some kind of feedback here
    I can't believe I didn't comment on this one, or how I missed it, unless my eyes are going. I know this is far too late too, but wtf.......... ;o) Bearing in mind I wrote a few lines to each film after I had watched them.

My comments are as follows:

good beginning, had the sound up loud (as the previous ones I had watched, I couldn't hear very well.) I found this a bit 'scary' to the degree that I thought it rather good, although once again the pic was a bit jerky.

Ok, all complete now AND I don't need to up my posts ;o)
    If you're not mature enough for criticism, you're too immature for praise.

"Life will forever be a challenge, some things are meant that way. Learn to deal with each challenge, using time and thought, so in the end it will be a lesson well learned."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12