Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Gintaras - NatureShooter, not reviewed?
    ok, I've looked several times now and can't find any mention of this one, and I actually thought it was the scariest of the whole lot!

Great music and some freaky images and sequences. The opening was a little dry? (not sure what it was that didn't work that well for me, but it definitely had that twilight zone feel). The old guy was great and the monster was great. Not sure why the scene in the forest changed colors so dramatically, but overall this was one of the top 10 for sure.
    Last edited by Shawn Murphy; 02-18-2006 at 05:33 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Good job starting a thread for this one, Shawn. This was an interesting story tapping into our fear of the big drug companies. I think he successfully pointed out that we definitely have to know what's in the drugs we're taking. Science fiction has always been a field that speaks to our social issues in a way that is usually acceptable to a wider audience because it's seen as entertainment. This one definitely had a Twilight Zone vibe going on.

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I dug the Rod Serling thing and the outdoor shots were gorgeous. I can see why he calls himself "Natureshooter".

4. Collapse Details
    This rated VERY high for me with regards to cinematography, but only for parts of it. Basically the outdoor stuff was simply AMAZING. Wow, gorgeous stuff ... but then the indoor shots completely paled in comparison, most likely due to lack of good lighting. The framing, again however, was exceptional for the majority of the film.

Where this film fell for me with regards to a weakness was the sound design, or more specifically the balancing. The dialogue was difficult to hear in spots near the beginning, especially in comparison to the SFX, but then later the SFX nearly blew my ears out ... really could have used a compressor, and worked on balancing more.

As far as Sci-Fi, Twilight Zone comparison is the only thing that might put it in the sci-fi category ... otherwise, I didn't see much science fiction as it was just drug induced hallucinations ... something that's actually quite real for some poor folks today ... meaning, there's nothing sci-fi about it.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

5. Collapse Details
    Interesting, I quite agree with Norm. The story wss pretty good. Sound design was the biggest flaw, and that is soooo hard to do well.(Some stuff was way too soft) I did like the look of it for the most part...(mainly the outdoor stuff) but was wondering what was sci-fi about it...
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

6. Collapse Details
    Seemed very Twilight Zone-esque. I liked that nod.

Science fiction on the heels of todayís relevant social issues. Such terrible, terrible medicine. I loved the message behind it. Prescriptions arenít the cure for everything. I definitely get it.

Very creepy, I liked the lighting and cinematography.

Keep it up man.

7. Collapse Details
    Thank you everyone for all your comments on Gintaras, whether positive or negative they are all appreciated.

In regards to our sound design, I agree it needs work. It was our first venture into Soundtrack Pro and was a tremendous learning experience. Any further criticism or suggestions on sound design would be greatly appreciated.

Envision--You mentioned the use of a compressor, I'm not very familiar with audio...could you elaborate more on what that is?

Blaine--- Wow...You really summed up our theme very well. We really didn't go with the classic sci-fi approach, we kind of skated along the outer limits ;) of the sci-fi genre, dealing with the trust we place in drug companies and other people so willingly. Freely placing our lives in their hands without question.

Shawn---Thanks for starting this thread, I've been out of town the past week so I wasn't able to get online until today. As far as the change in lighting, I added a little more color to all the shots once the object crashed into his dream (outdoor sequence). Unless your referring to the 2 shots that are orange in tone? These shots are supposed to be from the creatures POV.

Any other questions and critiques are certainly welcome, encouraged and appreciated so please, keep them coming.

Brendan

8. Collapse Details
    Feedback
    Come on, there have to be some more comments out there.

Good, Bad...Whatever. I need some kind of feedback here

9. Collapse Details
    Hey Brendan,

Think of a compressor as that feature on your TV or Stereo that keeps the louds from getting too loud. You can still tell things are supposed to be loud, by the intensity of it, but it's not CRANKING out the speakers during some spots, not so on others, etc.

So an audio compressor kind of caps the high points at going beyond a certain level ... if I'm not wrong (I'm not an audio guy either), it may also bring the quieter points up some, helping to just overall smooth/even things out a bit.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

10. Collapse Details
    Yeah, it's also called an automatic gain control, or AGC. I know they're used in sound systems for speakers and stuff. I don't think it's recommended to use an AGC for video audio, but compressor's and limiters are used.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast