Thread: The Odd Squad

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    thanks for starting this thread John
    I'm, PMing you our credits so you can put them in the 1st post
    We're moving and I don't have hi speed access anymore until we get to a hotel so I may not post much ... thanks for your comments everyone.

2. Collapse Details
    Some of the effects didn't completely sell, but they were good enough not to bother me.

I highly enjoyed the movie's tone, but I think the racism card wasn't dealt with properly. I get that he was feeling compassion, but I think the change was too quick. But, it didn't bother me too much, as it was such a fun short film.

I also wish the opening was a little tighter, and the ending was a little less hit-you-over-the-head.

Good makeup, fairly strong acting (especially the older guy--he's spot on), awesome music, and great camerawork put this in my top five. oh, and style.

style, baby, style.
    -william

3. Collapse Details
    This one is my favorite so far. We all actually clapped after this one was done.

"It tickles me sometimes...."
    UrbanMouse.com

2013 Narrative Reel

4. Collapse Details
    Def. my fav. so far. There were some technical things that I wrote down, but don't feel the need to post because it didn't take me out of it. Some of the compositions were frickin great. Loved it all. The only shot I didn't really care for was the Long Est. shot of them entering the hideout. The fx were kinda fake, but it totally worked. Great job. You are one talented bastard. Tim.

5. Collapse Details
    Darn work got in the way ... otherwise I was hoping to be the first to comment in your thread ... would have been impossible though, since John started it for you! Good thing too, since it's already got 13+ posts already!

I've only read the first post (Hudson's) so if I repeat anything, forgive me.

So, I Loved it, with a capital L. Like John said, very cool, hip feel to it. I'm assuming this will be unique in the feel/vibe compared to others. Some of the FX were ABSOLUTELY top shelf as well ... to the point I tried pausing as often as possible the second time through to catch stuff. Really great work, Jack ... you do all that yourself?

The music was perfect ... only complaint would be the transition at about 3 minutes in ... just too quick, and would have preferred something more organic.

Also, as a critique, I noticed the ADR ... specifically when we see the ODDD Squad with the blue alien near the beginning.

Otherwise, great actors, and incredible dialogue/scripting ... by far, for me, that was the strongest aspect, though the whole thing was strong all the way through.

The low gravelly, 40's style detective voice was perfect. Some nice comical stuff too, especially with the lady in the warehouse, reminding me of THE MASK, as her hand turns into this huge anvil.

The co-lead, looked like David Arquette (sp?). Cool.

Many parts brought a smile to my face, and I cared about the characters enough in that short bit of time to hang & wonder if he was going to report the kid or not.

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to see the extended cut of this. Great job. In my tops list.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

6. Collapse Details
    wcs, just read through the posts. I didn't get that this was a racism thing ... more of a MIB feel, that they had to keep the ODDS in check before they completely freaked out & harmed everyone else around them.

I could be wrong ... just didn't see the racism card in this one.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

7. Collapse Details
    This film had me smiling from start to finish. It had its own flavor. And what a tasty flavor it was. The 70's exploitation look made it even cooler. It almost had a color-reversal film look in places. And the freeze frames were in just the right spots. One of my favorites so far.
    "What IS your fascination with my forbidden closet of mysteries?"

8. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    thanks everyone for comments and thanks again john for starting the thread while I had no internet access and for pasting my credits up.

REALLY appreciate EVERYONE's comments but I have to help my GF pack as we move to NYC tomorrow and she's done 98% of it by herself while I was dealing with film fest stuff -- I wish everyone could have a GF like her.

"Honey I have to go to the internet cafe for a couple of hours to download/check the corrected version of my movie because there was a problem with it"

and she says "OK"

Not -- "the movers are going to be here in 15 hours and I'v done almost everything by myself and we're barely packed and your going off to an internet cafe to check on your little film"

OK that was time I could have used to respond to peoples posts -- sorry -- but I have to give her props -- don't know how I'd ever get frame one shot without her, get any bills mailed out on time, or find my keys, lol.

Damn ... thanks again for comments will try to somehow get internet access later to answer your questions

thanks thanks thanks guys!

Jack

9. Collapse Details
    You da man again!!!!

i've only seen about 10 so far. had a late start and don't have time to see that many per day. i was already excited about seeing yours before it even dowloaded. very much worth the wait.

again, i haven't seen that many, but this was definately the very best so far. did you score this thing too?

can't wait for the bts stuff and the dvd version

by the way i'm going to pm you later on some other unrelated stuff.

but again, congrats on another great film.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Envision
    they had to keep the ODDS in check before they completely freaked out & harmed everyone else around them.
    In my opinion, that statement is the origin of racism. (replace ODDS with 'blacks' or 'arabs'). I'm not calling anyone a racist, just noting where I'm coming from in my analysis of the plot.

I get your reference to MIB, and I would agree, but when I looked at the dramatic base, I saw something else. I wasn't saying that there was anything wrong with his choice of arc; I was just saying it needed a little more to sell the climax.

In the end, it's a really funny, well-made movie. I'm just mentioning what would have made it 5% better for me.
    -william

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast