Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I'm going to do more detailed comments/criticisms on all the shorts later, but I just had to comment on this one now. This one can pretty much be summed up in two words - fun and hilarious (or three words... however you look at that!). Seriously, in most cases, the basis of a good film breaks down to if it is enjoyable to watch or not. For me, even though it lost momentum as it went on, this one was very enjoyable to watch!
    More to come on the constructive criticism side of things, but I just wanted to let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed watching and had many laughs throughout! Our dog (Bootstraps) loved it as well!

-pastywhiteboy

2. Collapse Details
    i thought it was so funny when the writing was just scribbles on a page. nice touch.

keep up the good work.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Pasty, I look forward to your comments.

And thank you Jim, I thought it would be pretty funny since he's a dog and dogs can't write..., but he can fly a fighter jet.
    "We live in a world of accidents finally, where only aesthetic principals have a consistency of which we can be sure."

4. Collapse Details
    I really enjoyed this. This film was funny. It was like playing "Firefox".
    You have my full respect for your choice of work load. Thanks for many angles and choices of shots. How long was your render session, man!?

5. Collapse Details
    lol Thanks Matthew. To break it down, the average shot was rendered no longer than 6 seconds. I knew they would be cut down shorter with the exception of a few that I knew would be longer. For rendering, each shot was broken down in layers by objects in the frame.
    1.) Tipper's ship
    2.)Asteroids
    3.)nebula background
    4.)sometimes the engine glow (if the back of the ship was to the camera)

In real CGI work, the objects themselves would be rendered in layers for color, shadow, highlights, reflection, etc. but that would've taken way too much time. lol

Each layer took on average about 4 hours to render. So a shot with 4 layers in it would take roughly about 16 hours to render. A lot of time for a 6 second shot. lol

I would post stills but I don't know how. I would love to share so some people could save the images and play with compositing themselves. It is a lot of fun.
    "We live in a world of accidents finally, where only aesthetic principals have a consistency of which we can be sure."

6. Collapse Details
    Tremendous effort for a short.

Just being honest it felt like I was watching someone else play a video game in the middle of your short. I'm not talking about the CGI it's mostly in editing and choice of shots used. The strongest parts to me were where you were cutting back and fourth from Actors/Dogs to CGI stuff. Maybe a paw on a joystick or something...flipping switches...when the dog was chewing the wire...that's what I'm talking about.

Now I'll just get pickey...

I would have chosen a different angle to shoot the oldest war hero. I got the joke, and it was a good one, it was just too simular to the first war heros shot. Possably a lower angle with more dramatic lighting.

Great fun to watch. Thanks for your entry.

Kip Kubin

7. Collapse Details
    Hahahaha this was great ..loved it !!!!!!!!!!
    Glad your 2 dogs had fun doing this ..lol
    The thing I like about this you gave us 6 min worth of entertainment !
    Just where did you find the time to put this together?
    Thanks for sharing .
    Ian

8. Collapse Details
    THX-1138, you are right about the editing. Thats the main issue I've gotton from everyone. I do believe that adding more shots of the dogs and the Red Hornet actually doing stuff to cut too would have filled the seemingly empty areas. I have a longer version that does have more put in there and I'll post it on my website when the contest is finished. As far as the angle change on General Wilson Sr. I feel the angle has to be the same, but I would agree with a change in the lighting. Part of the joke is in how similar the two men are and changing the angle might affect that. The only difference I wanted to show was the eye patches. I actually had another actor who looked a lot like the first guy but older, but he wasn't available. Oh well.

Arlieman, Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you liked it. It did take a long time and I was editing right down to the last few hours of the FIRST deadline. haha. Then it was extended and greatfully so since I found some other issues to fix with it.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by HagerNYC
    lol Thanks Matthew. To break it down, the average shot was rendered no longer than 6 seconds. I knew they would be cut down shorter with the exception of a few that I knew would be longer. For rendering, each shot was broken down in layers by objects in the frame.
    1.) Tipper's ship
    2.)Asteroids
    3.)nebula background
    4.)sometimes the engine glow (if the back of the ship was to the camera)

In real CGI work, the objects themselves would be rendered in layers for color, shadow, highlights, reflection, etc. but that would've taken way too much time. lol

Each layer took on average about 4 hours to render. So a shot with 4 layers in it would take roughly about 16 hours to render. A lot of time for a 6 second shot. lol

I would post stills but I don't know how. I would love to share so some people could save the images and play with compositing themselves. It is a lot of fun.
    I wouldn't be able to handle that. I'd freak out while waiting to see an image. Props

10. Collapse Details
    I had seen you replied with questions and have been sick the last few days, so not around much, but did want to come back and answer...

EditPhish Thanks for your comments and honesty. Granted pehaps it could've been cut shorter, or as indicated above added dialogue for the actors/dogs to have to fill in seemingly empty spaces. I'm not sure which shots of the dogs you refer to that I held on them for too long. I was cutting to the beat of the music. Until the beat happenes, I don't feel the cut if you know what I mean.
    Totally understand cutting to the beat of the music, but that doesn't always work if it's not a music video... it leaves you on a shot for too long. That can be a downside when editing TO the music (as opposed to scoring after the editing). YOU (or whoever) as the editor are much more focused on the music than the viewer is (again, unless it's a music video).

"but I also felt like I was watching a video game, not a movie... and ultimately, this is a flim contest." Are you saying I made a video game and not a short film with a begining, middle and end?
    I felt your story did have a beginning, middle and end, but the middle was just way too long and paced slowly... which made it a bit boring after a while (especially with cutting back to the cute dogs doing nothing but sitting there)... and then because of the nature of the CG, it LOOKED more video-game like than film-like.

"Thanks for sharing it... You obviously have the skills to become a good CG artist." but not a filmmaker?
    Wasn't at all saying that. Based on this film though, I couldn't give you my opinion about whether you can become a good filmmaker or not... and I wouldn't want to... meaning, if I judged you on just one 6-minute-work, it wouldn't be fair... or accurate.

Anyways, thank you for your honesty, I really am going back and looking at the cutting. I never liked this version anyways. My longer one has a little more action during the chase.
    You're welcome... and thanks for being open to it. JTyner and I have a lot to learn too, so you're not alone!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast