Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Dogfighting in space? Is that like Star tRex?
    This was almost 2001: a space doggity.

Ok enoguh puns, in all seriousness, I howled with laughter! FANTASTIC job.

The double eye patch joke was CLASSIC.

And the 2001 references were great. The 'trip-out' first, and then just as I got over that you cut to the bedroom.

How did you get the dogs to sit still for long? - And that reaction shot form the kill.. the smile.. WOW.

Nice CG too. - Not photorealistic by far, but perfect for the story. - and a LOT of it too! What was your render time for that lot?

did you script out first before shooting the dogs, or did you just shoot them and work with the expressions you got?

A great piece that really worked the 'traditional' sci-fi theme all the way to comedy gold. Good job!

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

2. Collapse Details
    Sorry, I can't be more objective, but I LOVED this short.

First, the dogs. Awesome. Loved the shot on the approach where Tipper looks left out the side window. Loved the chewing of the wires. Loved the fact they were wearing collars and at least Chris had licence tags on.

Really liked the CGI and would like more info on how you put the CGI together.

The eyepatch generals killed me. Great fun.

Loved the music. In my opinion, appropriately over the top. And "The Planets" was one of the first classical record albums I bought (yes - album - but I'm not that old - it was 33 1/3, not 78). So I'm a Holst fan, too.

The 2001 homage was hilarious.

And I, too, say "more dogs".

One thought - what if the Red Hornet was a (hold on) cat? After all, if dogs are man's best friend, these dogs did away with the Red Hornet in a rather heartless manner. But then again, we all know cats can't act, so maybe you're better off sticking with the human actor (who I liked, by the way).

I was laughing out loud at this one.

Thanks VERY much for your efforts. This is a keeper.

(p.s. - I have two dogs that really want to break into acting and want to send you their resumes and a third female dog that really wants to meet Chris. OK?)
    God: Every time I try to talk to someone it's "sorry this" and "forgive me that" and "I'm not worthy"... (Monty Python and the Holy Grail, 1975)

3. Collapse Details
    lol Thanks for all the comments. I think Tipper and Chris are getting big heads right about now. They're here reading it all with me. I have to run to work but will be back later tonight to give details on the whole CGI rendering and my working with two diva actors. lol
    "We live in a world of accidents finally, where only aesthetic principals have a consistency of which we can be sure."

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkowilson
    Dogfighting in space? Is that like Star tRex?
    This was almost 2001: a space doggity.
    Awesome! LMAO! I loved 2001: A Space Doggity! This was something totally different. Normally you can't pay me to go to see a movie about animals but this was worth the price of admission...oh, wait...I got in free. That's okay, it was still brilliant.

5. Collapse Details
    This was cute, and I love the fact that I can have my kids watch it. The CGI was actually quite impressive, especially considering the amount.

I recognized MARS, from THE PLANETS right away ... played that myself back in college band/orchestra ... added well to the piece, though at times was a little overly dramatic in contrast to what was happening at the moment.

It's hard to criticize anything about this film, as it was obviously meant more for fun, yet unlike some gag films it had some REALLY good production quality in many parts of it.

My absolute laugh out loud moment was when the Senior/Father general turns around with TWO eye patches. Brilliant!

Also really enjoyed the VO, and flavor it gave the film, though I agree that it could have used more dialogue during the long action sequence ... the only place that I felt it could have used better pacing/cuts.

Great job, and plan on watching it again ... with my kids. Thanks for that.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

6. Collapse Details
    Thank you again for the kind comments. The point of this was to be fun and entertaining, but I hope people still take it as a serious piece for the competition. lol I also like making things that kids can watch and enjoy especially when it involves animals.
    "We live in a world of accidents finally, where only aesthetic principals have a consistency of which we can be sure."

7. Collapse Details
    Yes, it will be taken seriously, no doubt about it. But, it IS fun, while others are just serious, this makes everyone laugh again, which is always needed.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

8. Collapse Details
    I liked it -I thought it was enjoyable to say the least. Your dogs really made me laugh.

9. Collapse Details
    Let me apologize ahead of time because my opinion is going to come across as harsh -- I am obviously in the minority -- but my intention isn't to hurt feelings....

First, let me say I really thought it was a cute idea, and it started off as fun, and a bit clever. I'm a lover of dogs and cats too, but I also know that the pictures/video I take of my cat are cutest to me, not as much to everyone else.

You get huge props for your CG efforts... you obviously put a lot of work into the visual effects -- Their cheese-factor I can let slide because of your topic was obviously meant as tongue-in-cheek, but I also felt like I was watching a video game, not a movie... and ultimately, this is a flim contest.

Your story could have been told in about 1/2 the time -- you held on your shots too long and the pacing was too slow to be a real action-adventure sci-fi. Sure, the dogs are cute, but you don't need to hold on the shot so long to get that across. I would have liked the doggies actually doing more than just sitting there most of the time (though I imagine you didn't have "professional actors" or trainers, which could explain that).

There were a few entries in this fest that were too video-game-like and animation heavy, and your was one of them. Like I said, I totally respect the work you put into it.... But after the first minute or two, the novelty wore off and it couldnt' hold my attention.

Thanks for sharing it... You obviously have the skills to become a good CG artist.

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys. I've been gone for a while. EditPhish Thanks for your comments and honesty. Granted pehaps it could've been cut shorter, or as indicated above added dialogue for the actors/dogs to have to fill in seemingly empty spaces. I'm not sure which shots of the dogs you refer to that I held on them for too long. I was cutting to the beat of the music. Until the beat happenes, I don't feel the cut if you know what I mean.

"but I also felt like I was watching a video game, not a movie... and ultimately, this is a flim contest." Are you saying I made a video game and not a short film with a begining, middle and end?

"Thanks for sharing it... You obviously have the skills to become a good CG artist." but not a filmmaker?

Anyways, thank you for your honesty, I really am going back and looking at the cutting. I never liked this version anyways. My longer one has a little more action during the chase.

Cheers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast