Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    I really enjoyed this. It was very cute, I'm a big fan of the score you used, and the 2001 references really got me. As has been mentioned, eye-patch scene was great.

I do share a couple of EditPhish's concerns, though. It did seem like some shots went on a long time without a lot happening, and it *is* hard to judge a film that's 90% CGI given the categories we have and the idea that we're supposed to be shooting with the DVX. Not that that is a problem with the film itself, it just makes it tougher for me to compare it to the other flicks.

However, this CGI work was pretty flippin' amazing, and I never stopped enjoying the film. I think you've definitely got a really impressive accomplishment here.

2. Collapse Details
    This was one of the last films I watched and I think I've had a long day as I'm sure this was supposed to be humouros, I didn't find it amusing, maybe I will watch it again, graphics are good although i didn't like the choice of music.

3. Collapse Details
    Hey guys, thanks again for all your comments. I really do listen and take notes here. Goodluck to all in the festival.
    "We live in a world of accidents finally, where only aesthetic principals have a consistency of which we can be sure."

4. Collapse Details
    This film really dragged on for me. While the CGI was all pretty good, I felt like I could have gotten just as much from playing "StarFox" on my N64.

I did like the eye patch gag you had regarding the general and his father, that was pretty creative.

Otherwise though, I was none too fond of this film. Sorry.

5. Collapse Details
    good graphics no content
    Bite My Shiny Metal Ass.

6. Collapse Details
    I just watched this for the first time because for some reason I had missed it when I originally went through the films. Personally, this is one of my favorites so far because it was original in your approach. I did enjoy the score, but when I'm filling out the ballot I have a hard time judging the acting. My dog actually watched this with me and maybe it is because I'm a dog person but I really loved this little film. It had the perfect combination of SFX, VFX, and humor to keep me interested. This is one of the few films I've seen where I didn't want to speed everything up. This was great and exactly what I think this festival needed. Brilliant original story and nice approach. I really enjoyed this.

Thank you very much for this submission.

Jeremy
    Before you ask use the DVXUser Search function

7. Collapse Details
    Ok, i enjoyed this one and it made me smile the whole way through. The acting by the dogs were top notch and made me laugh everything they looked around when something was happening in the scene. The bone radar was sweet. It would have been cool to have them in a milk bone ship too.
    UrbanMouse.com

2013 Narrative Reel

8. Collapse Details
    Unfortunately all I can offer is a little bit of old-fashioned praise. You were going for cute and funny, and you hit the mark. I loved the slow zoom of the dog. This and dvxtrek were welcomed pallette-cleansers for the competition.

kudos.
    -william

9. Collapse Details
    Somebody in the general scifi fest started a thread wondering why Tipper didn't even make it to the top ten.

I thought about this. Gosh, I remember liking this film, but I don't even think it made my top ten. I started thinking why? I remember it being a huge effort.

I posted the following review in the above mentioned thread and I'm posting it here also.

OK, so I just did a search and reviewed this film.

http://www.youare.tv/watch.php?id=268

Where did this fantastic effort go wrong?

The short starts out great with lots of laughs.

But the second the 'dog-fight' begins between tipper and his nemesis, despite the great effects, the film falls flat. The pace becomes dead dull. Hey, maybe this would have been great on a big screen with the music blasting and 'sub-woofer' shaking the floor. But on my computer monitor these moments are far from the 'cat's meow.'

This was the moment for dramatic dialogue. John Hager missed a real opportunity to get our tails wagging and perhaps he was discouraged by the challenge of animating the character's mouths. This was the moment to explore the comedic, dramatic tension between Tipper and his goof off co-pilot. He could have taken a cue from any number of comedic duos whose comedy is built upon the tension between two characters. Pinky and the Brain; Danger Mouse and Penfold; Abbot and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, Hans Solo and Chewbacca, R2-D2 and C3-PO.

Sure he throws us a bone every now and then. The Red Hornet, peering over his ridiculous glasses which don't do a thing or the Little Rascals inspired moment when Tipper's co-pilot is munching on the wires of the control console. Other Scooby snacks include the moving bone on the radar screen and those moments when we're treated to Tipper's self satisfied smile . But its not enough. This was the time that the characters should have been shouting; fighting the enemy, fighting the inadequacies of the their own vessel and fighting with each other. There could have been some fabulously entertaining mayhem here, all brought out in the dialogue. If it where funny enough, the audience wouldn't even care if the dogs mouths moved.

There's nothing about this film that can't be fixed with a few wee wee pads and a rolled up news paper.

Unfortunately the director's leash may have been a little too long on the effects and a little too short on character development. But even the greats have fallen in this respect. Though not a comedy, Ridley Scott's 'Legend' comes to mind. An amazing film filled with amazing effects, cinematography, scenery, costumes and makeup and characters nobody could give a damn about. Some reviewers have even criticized his masterpiece, 'Bladerunner' for this short coming.

This was an amazing effort and I would encourage the director to revisit this short and rework it to its fullest potential.
    Last edited by Texture; 06-05-2006 at 06:53 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234