Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Knight of the Holy Order krestofre's Avatar
    I didn't notice a problem with the mix like some people did. It seemed to me that that music was featured in appropriate moments, then was downplayed when the audience should be focused on other things. I didn't really notice the score beyond a "oh, nice music" thought.

Your acting was pretty good. I thought the best part was the encounter between the main character and his wife when she finds out about the lost child. Almost all of that scene was really well constructed, shot, and acted. There was a single moment that looked like it may have been an editing issue, or something. It was a really quick cut away to an odd camera angle. Maybe just me.

The pan of the guy when he's been "infected" and has funky eyes was fantastic! I saw that and immediatly thought "That's a great shot!" Not only in composition, but the effect was great too.

Take this next comment with a grain of salt: I would have enjoyed a little bit more explanation about what was going on in the lab. Maybe like more of a clue into what was unlocked, or what they found.

The infected female also had a little Gozer vide going on. The voice changing was a cool effect, but reminded me too much of Ghostbusters. It might have helped if I hadn't just watched Ghostbusters the day before.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. Good job. And I think that's all of the comments I had.
    Chris Johnson

2. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I think the music was pretty good, although perhaps at times it overdramatized what wasn't a cinematically very dramatic film. But the music served its role quite well, and on the whole, the quality of the scores used in DVXFest has been quite high - one of the best parts of it, I think.
    I think your weak link was definitely locations (and in a way, acting). That opening scene ,with the guy lougning in the easy chair...and the people drinking lattes in the background, I mean it just doesn't sell itself as a 'crisis' location. I wasn't concerned, I was just sorta laughing at these crazy guys in the Starbucks.
    The final scene was pretty cohesive and tight - well shot, well edited, a bit flaky in the action sequences, but IMHO, that's totally understandable. I think that with a bit more attention to the beginning of the film, the ending would have carried more punch.
    Good work, and keep on shooting.
    Red 143 - Viva Jannard!
    ----------------
    http://www.atavisionfilms.com/

3. Collapse Details
    Hey Krestofre and penfever, thanks for the feedback!

Krestofre, I think I know which shot you're talking about as being odd ... the one where we cut to a direct left side shot of Mitchell's face, just as he's saying "She lost the baby". It always felt odd to mee as well, so I'm really not sure why I put it in there, other than wanting an ECU, and not having another angle. Doesn't cross the line, but still feels out of place, which could have been a difference in lighting (was worse before I cc'd to try & balance it out). Regardless, as editor, that was my fault.

Any appreciation about the camera work goes to Ryan (waltind) as he was DP and was in charge of both A & B cameras. The ONLY shot I can take credit for is the dolly past Dan's eyes at the end ... we were tight on time, and no one really wanted to stop for it as we were in danger of being behind schedule (our 1st AD was a clock nazi, and GREAT at her job), but I knew it would be an important (can I say "money"?) shot. Ryan was still behind the camera on it, though.

Everything else was Ryan's planning & execution.

Gozer. Funny ... yep, I can see the comparison!

Flaky action ... I tend to agree. Our first project having any kind of action, so a learning experience. It would have been even worse had we not had Jerry Buxbaum show up to help us out for a couple of days for free. He supplied the guns, the Fear Factor harnesses for yanking us into the air/backwards, the spark explosion FX, etc. He's a professional stunt/FX coordinator, and we were extremely blessed to have him answer our Craig's List ad, and decide to play with us on his time off.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

4. Collapse Details
    I liked the retro feel of it. It had a cool sci-fi channel feel to it.

Acting was a bit strained by the lead male. But it worked in the context of this film.

Voice slow down although cliche really gave a good feel to it.

I actually felt like i wanted to know more about what they released by the end.

I really liked the shot when she picks him up by the neck - very convincing.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks, smelni!

Lead male - strained acting. I agree. The guy sucked hard core. He'll never work in town again, if I have anything to say about it.

There was no slowed down voice, but I did mess with the range with multiple pitch shifts.

Glad you got involved enough to want to know more ... that means we succeeded & kept you involved.

It took four men on the other end of the pulleys, to pull Jeff (who played Mike) up into the air while she was "raising him" by his neck. Glad it worked for you!
    Last edited by Norm Sanders; 02-19-2006 at 10:19 AM.
    Norm Sanders

*click titles to view*
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

6. Collapse Details
    Norm, my friend. OK I haven't read anyone else's posts in your thread because I didn't want to be swayed or anything, so here is my review after the second viewing...

Pandora – Norm, Norm, Norm. Well I was stoked to see the Letus put to use, and honestly you didn’t disappoint. You have my vote for best title and title showing. The acting throughout was good and I enjoyed it. I could point out everything that I thought really worked in this project, but I think most people have already pointed that out. Here is what I didn’t like, and actually the only thing that I wasn’t a fan of with this project: the effect at the end. It didn’t work for me for some reason. Ultimately though I really enjoyed this film. My favorite shot of the entire festival is actually in your film (5:07). Something about that works perfectly for me. You should be really proud, good submission and shows how much you have progressed as a filmmaker since the zombiefest. I was royally impressed.
    Before you ask use the DVXUser Search function

7. Collapse Details
    Jiminy Christmas, Jeremy, thanks for the huge props! I was actually worried as heck when I saw you saying Norm, Norm, Norm ... I thought, oh-oh, here it comes.

On my player, 5:07 laps over two shots ... the OTS looking down on Dan with the crane, then the one from behind him & the orb in the BG ... which one was your favorite?

Eitherway, I little to nothing to do with those ... that's all waltind (Ryan Walters) to thank for those. He'll be pleased to read yours & other posts on here.

The effect at the end ... which one? As we pass by Dan's eyes or all the VFX in the warehouse in general? No hurt feelings either way, as I had to pull those off myself, learning how in three sleepless nights before deadline, and KNOW they aren't great and don't live up to the rest of the film.

Thanks again, Jeremy, and look forward to some clarification on a couple of those Q's.
    Norm Sanders

*click titles to view*

8. Collapse Details
    Sorry I took so long to get back! What I said about the music "trampling" on the scenes, it was a little loud in the mix at times. What I was mostly referring to was the way the music overpowered the scenes. It really drew too much attention to itself and away from your actors and the dialouge. I've heard it said that if someone leaves a film and the thing they remember most is the music, then the score composer has not done his job well. All I'm saying is that the music was TOO POWERFUL at some points. I compare it to an actor who is screaming as loud as he can "SOMETHING BAD IS HAPPENING!!!" right in the middle of the scene. Maybe I don' know what I'm talking about, noone else has really mentioned it.

Friggin AWESOME look throughout. Very polished, SUPERB shots. I really got into the movie and was taken by how well it was shot.

9. Collapse Details
    Cool, thanks ZombieSquid for the further explaination. For the shots, more props to waltind for that!
    Norm Sanders

*click titles to view*

10. Collapse Details
    I really liked this film overall... though on my first view I was a little confused about the story. It took a second viewing for me to get all the pieces together in my mind.

The sound started off really great... but after the coffee house scene, it wasn't as good... and by the warehouse scene it was at it's worst. Never really bad, just never as good as the opening scene.

Music was great... went along well with the story and played a nice role in pacing.

I thought the lighting and cinematography were also very good... very professional looking. Only gripe I'd have is the one outdoor scene seemed a little washed out compared to everything else.... but not terribly so. I really liked the framing in the first scene.

Acting was excellent... only part that bugged me was the 2nd scene with the woman in the yellow shirt... she seemed to overact a bit... forced it too much.

Only other gripe was that last gunshot. The editing on that seemed a bit weird as you weren't sure where the shot was coming from, or who was holding the gun once you saw it.

Liked the glowing eyes effect.

Nice job overall... Thanks for sharing it, and while I could sure learn a lot from you I hope my attempt at constructive criticism was helpful

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast