Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks Hybrid ... both you & Zombie mention the music, and I believe you have valid points. In this case, I'm guessing, since the final mix was handled by Chris Rojas, who was also the composer, he probably was leary about pushing back the music too much since it was his baby & wanted it to shine/be noticed. It was probably a tough position to be in, and one I can see could happen to anyone in the same scenario (cutting the volume on their own piece, etc.).

When I first heard the mix, he'd wondered if the dialogue needed to be brought down a couple notches, and I said absolutely not ... if anything the music may be a little hot throughout ... but I didn't want to push that too much as he was doing a lot with regards to the mixing and scoring, and wasn't a paid employee. Like everyone that's in this fest, I'm sure there's a balance they've fought with trying to push through their creative decisions, while still respecting & appreciating all the work others are putting into it as well with zero compensation.

Oh, and Hybrid, the coffeeshop scene wasn't cut in dialogue ... it's about how the script was. I just hate when dialogue is fake & too expository, but perhaps I went a little too far in keeping it lean?

On a different note, the one thing I've not heard anyone comment on was the ADR. The ENTIRE coffeeshop scene was ADR as the BG noise was horribly loud (had a loud refridgerator we were fighting) ... it apparently sync'd up & balanced fairly well, if no one has noticed.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

2. Collapse Details
    Norm,

Thanks for this film - I enjoyed it very much. My comments and thoughts , in no particular order are:

I liked the location of the coffee shop. Of course, the first thing I thought was "I wonder how much that cost? Or did they know somebody?" These contests have ruined me.

Springing off your last post, I did notice the ADR in the coffee shop (which, I suppose, one isn't supposed to notice). The reason was that I had been fighting with the ADR on my own entry, so I noticed that you'd done ADR and then noticed that yours was better than mine.

I did like the music and didn't think it was too intrusive at all. Nicely done and I wouldn't change the mix at all - except perhaps in the flashback scene when the dialogue got a little buried.

I thought the acting got a little "Wonder Woman-ish" when we got to the lab. Sorry. And yes, Dan pissed me off when he wouldn't shoot Kelly (he'd pistol whip her but wouldn't shoot her? Now THAT'S caring!). And as Dan is dropping to his knees and we see his right hand, he lost the gun that was there a nano-second before (but no worries - he get's it back a second later).

And where did the second (?) gun come from. One minute it looked like Dan was about to blow his own head off, then suddenly Mike is awake and hauls off a crack shot - with what gun?

And I thought the eye effects on Dan's eyes were great.

Thanks very much for your efforts and again I enjoyed this short very much.

Cheers.
    God: Every time I try to talk to someone it's "sorry this" and "forgive me that" and "I'm not worthy"... (Monty Python and the Holy Grail, 1975)

3. Collapse Details
    yeah, good job on the ADR then.

it seemed a little lean, perhaps specialize it a little for the story, esp. the first three lines, they sem really general, but clarificiation does come ... it's a tricky choice.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahopafilms
    And yes, Dan pissed me off when he wouldn't shoot Kelly (he'd pistol whip her but wouldn't shoot her? Now THAT'S caring!). And as Dan is dropping to his knees and we see his right hand, he lost the gun that was there a nano-second before (but no worries - he get's it back a second later).

And where did the second (?) gun come from. One minute it looked like Dan was about to blow his own head off, then suddenly Mike is awake and hauls off a crack shot - with what gun?
    "Now THAT'S caring!" LOL!!! Though it's not seen on screen (screw up in hindsight with my editing - I take the blame) Dan actually does try to pull the trigger ... when the shots finally back on him we see him fiddling with the gun ... the SAFETY was on. By the time it's off, she's too close & all he can do is pistol whip her. Bottom line, however, is I shouldn't have to explain this, which means we should have had it more clear in the film.

Oh my goodness! I litterally had to go back & freeze frame that spot to see that the gun IS missing! What were we thinking?! Gads, what a continuity issue we missed. At least it's a quick one ... so quick that no one on our team had seen it before. Good eye.

The second gun was from Mike originally, when she made it across the room in lightening speed & broke his wrist ... when Mike shoots the orb, he's doing it with his left hand.
    Norm Sanders

*click titles to view*
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

5. Collapse Details
    Glad I finally got to see it Norm.

Cinematography/Lighting-Some of the best I've seen yet. The coffee shop and house scene (when you're talking to the girl) look excellent.

Acting-Great job, there were a couple of rough spots, but a great accomplishment considering your other responsibilities. Compared to most, this also is a bit of a standout.

Story-The story was pretty decent. It's funny as I toyed with a similar idea. I had to watch it twice to get everything, but that's the case w/ alot of these movies. When it ended I wasn't thinking "Holy s*%t, that was a great story!", but I definately wasn't bored. Overall I think the story landed somewhere in the middle.

Sound-Very good, the music was a bit much at times, but the dialogue was crisp, etc.

I haven't read the other posts, so sorry to rehash if that is the case.

6. Collapse Details
    Sorry, forogt F/X:

The special fx were OK. Not great, not bad. There has only been 1 that I've seen so far that has better if that tells you anything.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks Tim! Feel free to point out the "rough spots" with the acting. I'd really look forward to as much details as anyone is willing to give out, no matter what facet it's regarding.

Thanks again & glad you enjoyed it! Can't wait for Ryan to log on from Germany & catch up on this thread.
    Norm Sanders

*click titles to view*

8. Collapse Details
    I agree with a few of the previous comments...I liked everything except the beginning scene. And some sound distortion...could be my speakers..not sure.

9. Collapse Details
    First of all, Chris Rojas of RMI is a GOD! I would KILL to have the chance to work with Chris on a project someday . . . now back to your requested critique . . .

Hey! You had some OLD actors! The big guy was GREAT! I totally bought him. In fact, all of your actors "looked" the part. And, the girl was hot, always a good thing. Now, the lab . . .

The good thing is that you had a large space. You're right . . . no wonder you thought I was bagging on your short in the other thread (I really wasn't--pure coincidence)! Again, a large space really helps. I did think it was lacking, however. If you didn't have the money to dress it properly, you needed to figure out a way to HIDE it better. Hanging cheap plastic frosted shower curtains all along the back walls, backlit sickly green, would've done the trick. Or creating a much more dramatic lighting design (to better"hide" what you couldn't afford to dress properly).
    Sony NEX-FS100 + FMU | Kinotehnik LCDVFe | Nikkor FX primes | Cavision IRNDs | Vinten Vision 5 | Steadicam Flyer

10. Collapse Details
    OOhhh, love the idea of the shower curtins with sickly green lighting. Shucks! Next time. Seriously, cool idea. More prep time would have helped, in the fact that we literally showed up to the location the day we were shooting ... no scout time.

Yeah, Chris did an incredible job with the score. Funny how objective people can be with all aspects of art (music, acting, lighting, etc.). Some will love something, while others didn't.

Thanks for the comments, NBC!
    Norm Sanders

*click titles to view*

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast