Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Also, when casting yourself try to put yourself in a part you fit. You weren't dark enough for the pathological role you cast yourself in - in fact, you looked kinda sweet. Writer-actor-directors have it tough in this regard - get a person you trust who knows you well, and bounce it off them for a sanity check.
    Thanks for making a film, I liked watching it, and keep shooting (I know you will)!
    Red 143 - Viva Jannard!
    ----------------
    http://www.atavisionfilms.com/

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by penfever
    Also, when casting yourself try to put yourself in a part you fit. You weren't dark enough for the pathological role you cast yourself in - in fact, you looked kinda sweet. Writer-actor-directors have it tough in this regard - get a person you trust who knows you well, and bounce it off them for a sanity check.
    Thanks for making a film, I liked watching it, and keep shooting (I know you will)!
    I cast myself because I knew I would show up ;)
    "What IS your fascination with my forbidden closet of mysteries?"

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MojoTrancer
    I cast myself because I knew I would show up ;)
    Quote of the day, right there folks.
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by penfever
    Also, when casting yourself try to put yourself in a part you fit. You weren't dark enough for the pathological role you cast yourself in - in fact, you looked kinda sweet.
    I actually liked that. It helped it seem kinda sweet at first, and then became more shocking when it turned very dark.

And, y'know, that kind of character, to be effective, has to be able to build trust, both in terms of the victim in the film and the audience. I thought he worked well.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks, Z B. I'm always hesitant to be in stuff. It makes directing a bit harder. This time it was matter of convenience. And considering we had to do our VOs all over three different times in 4 days, each time on short notice, I'm not sure we would have finished in time if someone else had been playing Zane. I was lucky enough that Bobette was so flexible with her time.

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah, in general I wince at the idea of a director starring. That's an awful lot for one person to carry on their shoulders, and it seems like it can't help but affect both roles. However, in this case I think the way the film was structured (i.e. the montage shots and the voice over) made it much more workable.

Tangential note: On "A New Tomorrow", we bandied about the idea of having our director, Jim, play the lead as well. I'm confident in saying that getting Mike was the single best decision Jim made on the film.

7. Collapse Details
    Cool...at first I thought that this was going to be another 'repair a broken android robot-mate storyline' that we are seeing over and over on here, but then there were some original elements too...she was a real person prior and he was a murderer, etc.. Wow...I bet focusing the story on that part of it, would've put it over the top for me as far as creativity and originality. I think some of those scenes would've been much better with additional lighting here and there....maybe that was the effect you were going for. I'm not a huge fan of the narrative...I like more dialogue and acting, etc... my theater background comes out...heh.

Cool job...liked the concept once it got going.

8. Collapse Details
    I enjoyed this film. I loved the shot of the woman on the bed starring blankly. That was creepy and almost hitchcock-esque. Great job! I felt what you were trying to communicate with that story.
    Music & Film : noct.us | Last.fm | Vimeo | isara.com

9. Collapse Details
    Wow. Tip of the hat to you Mojo. I really liked this film. I think that your voice over was excellent and didn't realize it was you playing the role until I read it here on the board. I have to say the voice over/montage concept gave the film a very intimate feel. Like were sneaking into this private conversation between lovers.

Was not expecting the line "Then why did you kill me?" It caught me off guard. I also loved the transition between her slapping her hand at the camera into your hand pulling away from the camera, revealing all the blood. Wow. Great work!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by angrynerdrock07
    Wow. Tip of the hat to you Mojo. I really liked this film. I think that your voice over was excellent and didn't realize it was you playing the role until I read it here on the board. I have to say the voice over/montage concept gave the film a very intimate feel. Like were sneaking into this private conversation between lovers.

Was not expecting the line "Then why did you kill me?" It caught me off guard. I also loved the transition between her slapping her hand at the camera into your hand pulling away from the camera, revealing all the blood. Wow. Great work!

Thanks much!

It was pure dumb luck that Bobette and I ended up doing similar things while shooting our respective "bug out" scenes. I was able to use this to good effect in editing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast