Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Spookey.

that was very good, in a slightly distrubing way. but that was the idea. A lot of very dark themes this year, this was definatly one of them.

also, agreed on the keyframign note.

Soundtrack was good, and I liked the jump to A-roll with her talking at the end.

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Z B Brox
    Yeah, I'm in total agreement with the quality of the voicework. I like the idea, too, and I didn't have issues with the pacing as some others did. I like slow-burn kinda stuff myself. Obviously the CG was a little off, but when it was on target it looked really good. It's a small, personal piece, it doesn't jump out with how awesome it is, but I felt engaged by it. Nice work.
    That was the third round of voiceovers we did. The first two tries were had better performances, but they were unusable do to technical issues (recording good sound isn't as easy as I thought it would be.) By that time, Bobette and I had about an hour to do the whole film. We ended up posting the script on the wall and doing a read through from start to finish. We did that twice, and then cut and edited it as best I could.
    "What IS your fascination with my forbidden closet of mysteries?"

3. Collapse Details
    I really like this one. I think the cinematography and acting were excellent, and the slow ramp up was just right. I really felt like we got to know these two characters in a really short period of time, and when the twist hits, I felt totally heartwrenched. I loved the subtlety of this piece, and how it didn't rely on special effects. Sure there were a few in there, but they were by no means the crutch many other sci-fi films need them to be. Very nice, I will be watching this one many more times.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain KickAss
    I really like this one. I think the cinematography and acting were excellent, and the slow ramp up was just right. I really felt like we got to know these two characters in a really short period of time, and when the twist hits, I felt totally heartwrenched. I loved the subtlety of this piece, and how it didn't rely on special effects. Sure there were a few in there, but they were by no means the crutch many other sci-fi films need them to be. Very nice, I will be watching this one many more times.
    Thank you so much, Captain. I'm glad the film spoke to you. I'm more and more glad that we didn't go the action route. I think it was the right choice the more I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikkowilson
    Spookey.

that was very good, in a slightly distrubing way. but that was the idea. A lot of very dark themes this year, this was definatly one of them.

also, agreed on the keyframign note.

Soundtrack was good, and I liked the jump to A-roll with her talking at the end.

- Mikko
    The soundtrack is two royalty-free tracks I bought on Q-music. Their prices are pretty decent and if you dig around the site hard enough, you can find some good stuff.

5. Collapse Details
    I would have liked this one more if you didn't tell the whole story via VO. It looked pretty good, and I liked the dark twist. The CG was pretty bad (especially the computer chip thingy on her arm--Looked VERY fake). I liked some of the compositions/lighting. I really hated the pan of the computer monitor for some reason. I think it cheapened it somehow. I think both actors (I assume you were one of them) "looked" good, there just wasn't really much acting as it was all V.o.

6. Collapse Details
    Just to be clear: When I said I agreed ont he quality of the V/O, I meant with the people praising it, not your self-criticism.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimothy
    I would have liked this one more if you didn't tell the whole story via VO. It looked pretty good, and I liked the dark twist. The CG was pretty bad (especially the computer chip thingy on her arm--Looked VERY fake). I liked some of the compositions/lighting. I really hated the pan of the computer monitor for some reason. I think it cheapened it somehow. I think both actors (I assume you were one of them) "looked" good, there just wasn't really much acting as it was all V.o.

Fair enough, Slimothy. Thanks for giving it to me straight. For the record I think Bobette did her part very well. As for my performance, well I offer no excuses. It is what it is. But be warned I'm going to be in the next one too

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MojoTrancer
    Fair enough, Slimothy. Thanks for giving it to me straight. For the record I think Bobette did her part very well. As for my performance, well I offer no excuses. It is what it is. But be warned I'm going to be in the next one too
    I don't think the performances were bad by any means. Just wished I could have seen them act out an actual scene w/ some dialogue.

And you BETTER be in the next one.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimothy
    I don't think the performances were bad by any means. Just wished I could have seen them act out an actual scene w/ some dialogue.

And you BETTER be in the next one.
    Groovy. I've been reading some of your other reviews and I feel like I got off lightly So I will take what I can get. ;)

I've already started work on the sci-fi piece we shelved to do Ava. Both Bobette and I will be back and this time will be a more straightforward story.

10. Collapse Details
    I think this film had a lot of really strong stuff - at the end. The blood, the sound design at the end was very strong indeed. I also liked that you seemed to have a fairly concrete idea of the story you wanted to tell.
    I'm afraid that's where the big ups end. I DIDN'T like the voice-over. I almost never like voice-over. And any film which tells its entire story in voice-over is afraid to give its audience a chance to identify. We can never get close to characters without knowing what they sound like. Without sync sound, it's just a montage.

The tech-end wasn't perfect, but I really don't care about those things. Once you've got your story together, the right tech-people will assemble and good things will happen.
    Red 143 - Viva Jannard!
    ----------------
    http://www.atavisionfilms.com/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast