Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Kaz--Jarred and I have decided to leave your DVD version up because the no credits version accidentally got trashed in the rush. I can't see that it significantly alters anything, so I hope no one has a major issue with our decision.

2. Collapse Details
    Kaz,

Fantastic, it felt very professional and felt like a "real" film.
    Props on the production value and the CGI.
    I loved the shot of the girl's body laying on the ground. Very creepy.

The whole tone is kept consistent throughout. The end of the world and the survivors banding together to overthrow them type scenario, almost like a Romero zombie film.

Kudos and keep it up. High marks from me!

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_S
    Kaz--Jarred and I have decided to leave your DVD version up because the no credits version accidentally got trashed in the rush. I can't see that it significantly alters anything, so I hope no one has a major issue with our decision.

Okay..... I hope not.
    Last edited by Kaz; 02-16-2006 at 02:58 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    so how long is the short verison?
    Director / Writer / Editor
    "We're like comparing paint by numbers to Picaso or Van Gogh..." - Jeremy Hyler
    http://www.youtube.com/user/spyderjch
    http://www.funnyordie.com/jeremyhyler
    www.filmlifefilms.com
    twitter: @jeremyhyler

5. Collapse Details
    Cool! Much appreciated, Filmjunkie!
    My mom still wishes I would have made the girl die before the aliens gets her. Heh.

EDIT: Sorry, you meant the dead girl on the stairs!
    Last edited by Kaz; 02-16-2006 at 03:03 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by spidey
    so how long is the short verison?

The short version is exactly 6 minutes. No credits, just black at the end. I have three insignificant shots taken out, the rest is just a faster transition time from present to flashback.

7. Collapse Details
    Kaz, I was amazed at some of the production value you pulled off with this. Some great shots. Was this with the HVX or DVX? The charred cop car in the beginning was great as well, which I'm assuming you composted in.

Also, nice to hear you used Vegas for compositing/editing. It's what I use, and I'm always inspired to see what people can pull off with it.

The opening, to me, is by far the best in the whole film. While the story is solid, and is in some respects a compressed first act of a feature film (what ours is as well, I believe), there were a few spots that pulled me out of the experience.

First, was what others have mentioned already; the rack focus on the spaceship overhead. It had a documentary/war camera feel to it, which none of the rest of it had ... so I found myself saying, who's the camera man that's in this scene, as it was that POV feel that threw me.

Second, their love is so strong between the man & woman, not to mention she's carrying their baby ... I didn't find it believable that he would listen to her & actually leave her there. I'd fight to the death, even knowing it would be hopeless, rather than leave my wife & baby behind. It would have fit better, for me at least, if she'd been hit again as he's trying to drag/carry her, she's actually killed, and then when he sees there's nothing further he can do, he finally leaves her ... but not leaving her to experience the doom/pain she's going to when he leaves her alive.

Otherwise, I like the tie-ins with the dime, the transitions, the FX, overall story, etc. I've only watched about 8 films so far (still downloading), but of those, this is the highest ranking one yet. VERY nice job.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

8. Collapse Details
    tight.. really tight. great stuff KAZ.
    .“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose” -C. Bukowski
    keep it moving.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Envision
    Second, their love is so strong between the man & woman, not to mention she's carrying their baby ... I didn't find it believable that he would listen to her & actually leave her there. I'd fight to the death, even knowing it would be hopeless, rather than leave my wife & baby behind. It would have fit better, for me at least, if she'd been hit again as he's trying to drag/carry her, she's actually killed, and then when he sees there's nothing further he can do, he finally leaves her ... but not leaving her to experience the doom/pain she's going to when he leaves her alive.

Ah! Now THIS is a comment!
    I went through great pains with this part. Originally, the flashbacks were to be quick. Later, I realized they would add even more emotional impact for the character and extra empathy from the audience. So I decided to focus more on them.

Your issues were definitely discussed, but knowing full well ahead of time that I only had 1 1/2 minutes to make that whole sequence as believable as possible, the kind of struggle you speak of would have taken up a lot of extra time so it was compressed into the simple words as he is running away, "Oh God..." As in, "I can't believe what I'm doing..." which I thought my actor read brilliantly.

Great insight!

10. Collapse Details
    kaz, so far the best movie iīve seen...i just told my girl friend "itīs like WOTW, but better" (well, i surprisingly liked WOTW until the last third) and yours keeps the tone till the end...the effects were really good (the green laser beam i liked the least, but it worked)...i gotta go with envision with the "he shouldīnt leave her"-theory...i actually liked the out of focus shot, cause the texture looked more like a dragon than a spaceship...the only thing iīd complain about is the "little-shop-of-horrors" shadow (is that audrey 2?) and the people at the end (except for the guy with the scars)-i just didnīt buy that the others went through the same crisis as the main character...iīve only seen it once (and i wonīt rate until iīve seen them all) - actually i canīt rate at all (##posts) but iīll definately show it to all the people around here to demonstrate what can be achieved and why itīs worth spending more than a week on a short (otherwise it looks like mine...)

great job

jan

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast