Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Great taking advantage of your location, that's for sure.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Patrick
    a question...

why did you make the decision to have the camera go out of focus when it pans up to the alien spacecraft? While the CG work/visual style is very good/professional throughout, this kind of self-reflexivity isn't present anywhere else in the film. I guess it just took me out of the film for a second.

It's unfortunate it had that effect on you. The shot was always conceived to pan up, then zoom in so that the character's face is filling the frame when I come back down. I decided later to let it go out of focus to match what would most likely happen for real.

Basically, I was trying for two things: realism and a way to not show so much of a CGI effect in daylight as I am still learning the subtleties of effects compositing and didn't want it to come across TOO fake.

Thanks for the comments, guys!
    Last edited by Kaz; 02-16-2006 at 02:07 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz
    It's unfortunate it had that effect on you. The shot was always conceived to pan up, then zoom in so that the character's face is filling the frame when I come back down. I decided later to let it go out of focus to match what would most likely happen for real.

Basically, I was trying for two things: realism and a way to not show so much of a CGI effect in daylight as I am still learning the subteties of effects compositing and didn't want it to come across TOO fake.

Thanks for the comments, guys!
    It's not like it had an overly negative effect on me but the camera going out of focus just implies a camera operator/distinctive POV instead it just being an omniscient camera like in the rest of film. It breaks down the fourth wall briefly and since it's only done once, that's why I was slightly confused.

Again, it's not a negative criticism, I just was curious to hear why you did what you did.

"Lot 6a" -- Official 2009 DVXuser Monsterfest Entry

(click on picture for official thread)

Monster Fest 2009 :: Lot 6a on Facebook :: Lot 6a on Twitter

--

Hell Froze Over - Original Web Series shot with DVX100A and HV20

4. Collapse Details
    Did you guys used a tracking software for the CGI scenes? What softwares were used?

5. Collapse Details
    Kaz,
    I'm going to echo Shaun about the out of focus thing. It set me back a moment. I loved the production value you pulled from N.O. I didn't realize that's where it was at first and kept wondering where you were finding the locations. At the end it became clear. Really nice job. I liked it a lot.

6. Collapse Details
    Personally... I liked the out of focus thing.

*shrug* but that's just me
    Brian Voelkerding
    Slugline Pictures
    Editor, Director
    http://AtArms.8m.com
    brianvoelkerding@gmail.com

7. Collapse Details
    Great film Kaz. I will need to watch again to give a fuller review, but the CGI was gorgeous, and the pace was good. I felt the story was a bit weak. Seemed very unoriginal. I did feel like I was watching WOTW, but with some better cinematography ;) props dude, it was a good film!
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

8. Collapse Details
    I used 3DS MAX for CGI & Vegas for compositing.
    That's it. No tracking software.

I've heard both sides of the fence on the 'out of focus thing' but it just comes down to my gut feeling: When I see that shot without it, I want it back in. Just one of those things, I guess!

9. Collapse Details
    Briceman, thanks alot for the comments. The story is what it is: An allegory. I wanted a dedication. Take away any reference to aliens and he could be talking about the hurricane that devastated my flawed but great city. I simply did the best I could following a route I knew had been done before.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz
    Briceman, thanks alot for the comments. The story is what it is: An allegory. I wanted a dedication. Take away any reference to aliens and he could be talking about the hurricane that devastated my flawed but great city. I simply did the best I could following a route I knew had been done before.
    Hey man, way to go, and I honestly thought for the story you had, you did a darn good job with it!
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast