Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I watched it again, with the right version. I really liked the actors you got. The story was a bit confusing, and I still don't know quite to make of it. I really liked the third guy, he had a sort of David Caruso feel to him. Cool stuff. Definitley one of the better pieces in this competition.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

2. Collapse Details
    Yeah, the very condensed story was a concern of ours, and our own private preferred version has more "breathing room" for the story, but we think ultimately if people can get the basic gists of what's going on and have a good time by the end, then I suppose that's all we can ask for.

And we hope that's the case. What does everyone else think?
    Brian Voelkerding
    Slugline Pictures
    Editor, Director
    http://AtArms.8m.com
    brianvoelkerding@gmail.com

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by briceman
    I really liked the third guy, he had a sort of David Caruso feel to him. Cool stuff.
    By the by, we like to call him a mix of David Caruso and Kevin Spacey. I hope he likes David Caruso.

*shrug*
    Brian Voelkerding
    Slugline Pictures
    Editor, Director

4. Collapse Details
    Sexy! We're up! F**k yeah!!!

When I downloaded there was some jitter... kind of odd... but from what I heard the old version was far less intact. When we are allowed to, we're going to have the less condensed version for viewing. We'll post our site up after voting is completed. Dig that hacked out DVX look.

I love taking a camera that produces such clean images, and just digging my hands in there and creating harsh messy, Cross Process reversal looking s*%t. Who says you can't get by without Magic Bullet?

Dig.
    Justin Talley
    Director of Photography
    FS100 - 7D - 5DMkII - 16 BolexPro - Bell & Howell Filmo - HVX200
    Nikon AIS Primes, Tokina 11-16 Zoom, Redrock, Zacuto, Genus and the rest
    profnoxin@gmail.com
    www.jtalleydp.com

5. Collapse Details
    I liked what you did here and how you were able to work it into a Sci-Fi theme. My only complaint would be that this was supposed to be a heart throb from the 50s. In the flashback scene, give him an appropriate hairstyle. It seems like such a small thing but it was a deal breaker when it came to suspension of disbelief. Other than that you had a nice short.

6. Collapse Details
    Hmm, for some reason I had some real problems making out the dialogue at times. The sound mxiing seemed a bit off. The story itself was interesting, and I thought the performances were a storng point. I would've liked to know more, though. You mentioned the compressed story, but I think it's really important to at least give the audience a reason to care about what's going on from the start. I thought the editing and the way the story mvoed back and forth in time were all interesting, I just had a problem getting involved in the story. I know it's short, but I think you could've done more in the time with some different choices.

7. Collapse Details
    Just watched it & was smiling by the end. It's cool with the powers that he had ... very cool. I also liked the back & forth of how one scene would run into the next via dialogue, etc.

However, the sound mix on this was pretty poor, as I had a difficult time making out what they were saying, more than one time ... when those were issues, it was usually when the background sound/hiss was too loud ... like you had poor gain in the mic during production and had to boost the heck out of it in post to get any audible at all.

Aside from the audio issue, there was pretty severe interlacing in this, but perhaps it's also due to this compression. BTW, I did TRY watching the original version that was all jacked up by the compression, then quit to wait until I could watch this one. It was a mixed bag, that other version, as there were some parts that it jumped back and forth SO fast, or stuttered, that I really wondered if it was on purpose ... and if so, then it was somewhat amazing editing ... very edgy, etc. But, since I'd read that there were issues, I realized it probably shouldn't be that way & waited for this one.

But I'm off topic ...

The acting, in parts, really bothered me, while in other spots it felt dead on and was great. Just wasn't super consistant, though it was UP more than it was down, if that makes sense.

The style and your marketing (i.e. font choices, layout of graphics, etc.) is great.

Oh, but like the others, I was lost with the story in the middle, as it wasn't making sense. Even at the end, there are still parts in there that don't make sense to me, though I got the gist of the overall story.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

8. Collapse Details
    Cool man. I didn't quite understand the guys powers, but it was really neat to watch. What did the villian do to become the guys advesary? I really liked it.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks all. Luckily alot of these comments we were expecting. We were walking a knife-edge between "explain everything" or "twilight zone atmosphere," whereas the audience only needs one thread of a gist of story to satisfy one part of the brain while the rest enjoys the neatness the short has.

As for sound issues.... yeah, the production sound turned out quite raw, and we did what we could. Hopefully it didn't kill it too much, but it's certainly something that is what it is.

In the end, I'm just happy that despite poor points given, people still ultimately enjoy the short, and give us good marks for being entertained in general.....which I suppose ultimately is the goal.

Thanks for the comments, all! Keep em coming! Keep watching!

Envision, I'm just curious which parts of the acting you felt were lax compared to other (for future directorial reference, depending on what precisely it pertains to).

Again, thank you all. Keep it coming
    Brian Voelkerding
    Slugline Pictures
    Editor, Director

10. Collapse Details
    man i can't wait to download these shorts on something faster than my dialup.... but anyways .....I LIKE THE TITLE !!!
    when you sit yourself to think on the throne you are the king but never the less you are like us and soon the bathroom will stink

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast