Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkowilson
    good stuff fabio.

I agree that the first hovign thing looked poor.
    but the CGs from there one wherne't bad. They resembled a NASA animation in a way, and that made it seem real to me, as that's what we ever see of the reality up there.

I liked your story. The subtitles didn't bother me (I'm used to them here in Finland, I think knowing how to read them helps.). It reased some interestign questions about our fate.

Despite the lack of real footage, I liked it the way it is.

- Mikko
    It's good that you liked the movie, it's my first fest so it helps me a lot. I had little time to make that movie, all the CG scenes where done in less then a day, pretty crazy.

2. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure if you were really trying to convey a message or not, but it came off as Art House to me. Art House films, in my opinion, typically try to push a message to one degree or another; this one being that we're damaging the earth, and really don't even belong here. I won't even go into what I'd say to someone if they really said that to me in person.

The opening shots were cool ... great location, as it had this red Mars feel to it. But then the CG entered frame & I began to lose interest from there. However, it did manage to end on a solid note, production wise, as we were back into a story again, seeing this from the alien's POV vs. just hearing a narrative during the whole process of what happened.

Subtitles didn't bother me ... it was just the whole narration, and lack of cinematography in much of it.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your comments envision. I guess you are right when you say that the movie could be considered an Art House style. Next time I hope I will have more time and then I will create better CG scenes.

4. Collapse Details
    Fabio, I congratulate you.

I like it when someone pushes the boundaries and tries to go deeper and tackle bigger ideas. Your film was among only a handful that tackled a deeper philosophical arena. It was somewhat surpising considering the breadth of sci-fi, and you're to be commended for the distinction.

Now as to the particulars - the CGI was both hit and miss. I'm sure you will get much better. However, it did carry your ideas, so it's efficacy was there. I liked your voice over. Also, The pace of your graphics and compositions complimented the graceful vibe you were going for.

All that being said, I honestly feel that structurally and visually you could have been more powerful. I would have liked to see you juxtapose your narration with visuals. For example when you were talking about humanity, as the Volyager floats through space, you could have stock footage of war or natural disasters. Similarly, you could film a scene that adds a human element, intercut with the CGI that personalizes the philosophical questions to the audience. However, maybe you made a conscious decision to go all CGI, so take that for what you will.

Personally, I knew all about Voyager, so some of the information was repetitive, but that's a judgement call on your part.

All in all, I'm glad you submitted and I enjoyed your film.

Keep up your philosophical enquiries, and I hope to see more thought provoking pieces.

Cheers.

5. Collapse Details
    I like the message of the movie. It certianly took a while to get to it, but the actress did a good job of her part.

6. Collapse Details
    Terra,

I hope you can take my constructive criticisms well, and only mean them in the spirit of learning.

My first criticism is that there really wasn't enough actual video footage in your piece, and what was there was basically one static shot of the woman scientist/newscaster. It went well with the piece, but also didn't show off much in the way of your own skills for cinematography, lighting, editing, ect. Any old camera on a tripod would have worked to accomplish it. That's not a bad thing, but I couldn't help think about it in light of this fest.

Your simple FX didn't bother me at all. Like someone else said, they reminded me of the NASA simulations you see on TV when they are explaning a mission in a press conference. My problem with it was that it was SO much of the film... too much... and took your short over the edge into being more animation than live-action movie.

I also would have liked to see you execute some of the narration by showing us the story instead of explaining it through animation. I did understand the point you were trying to get across, but that point was easy to lose because the journey was a bit boring. I really don't mean this to sound so harsh, but there's no other way to say it... I kinda felt like I was watching a high-school film-strip.

I do applaud your efforts and think your message was important... and I think your mother did a good job in her role. I just think there were more interesting ways to get the ultimate point across.

Thanks for sharing your film with us!

7. Collapse Details
    OK, haven't read anyone elses comments here is my review:

Terra – Well I will say I really liked your story the way it was told, progressed and move along. I wasn’t crazy about the effects, but with that exception the story worked well for me. It is hard to comment on the acting since it was sort of interview style, but I thought it came across just fine. I thought it was a good concept and good job on your entry.
    Before you ask use the DVXUser Search function

8. Collapse Details
    Thank you all! I agree I should have used more images in the movie, maybe some stock footage as D and G said before, at least I could have tried it and then see if would keep what I had in mind. I was also thinking that I should have shot a longer scene just before the aliens open the box, showing more their intentions. I guess when I have the chance I will make some modifications in this movie in order to improve it. Again, thanks for your comments for they help me a lot.

9. Collapse Details
    Cool film guy. I think the concept is neat- definite resonance. I think handling it differently would have been interesting. I was expecting it to break into a narrative story after 30 seconds or so of voiceover, but it never happened. So I guess it felt as if it kept dragging on with out any payoff.

But really interesting message about the human race and the probe. I still really enjoyed it.

10. Collapse Details
    Hi - I think you were overall successful at what you were trying to accomplish here, even though in the end that meant that it's kind of hard to take it all in (and pay attention to it!). I don't mind the simplistic CGI - it kind of reminded me of the science films I saw at Epcot Center (in DisneyWorld) when I was a kid, and having your mother (former children's show host) as narrator strengthened that. Good work.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast