Page 1 of 140 123451151101 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Yes I'm afraid I have another adaptor.
    After researching hundreds of posts in an attempt to build my own adapter, I feel I have finally come up with the solution within my technical means. Using the same concept as the G35 and My35, my static adapter is most inspired by the Home Depot 35 from the dvinfo.net alternative imaging forum. It is also found here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=28055

Starting at the base, it connects to the DVX via a Cokin P series 72mm filter adapter. Mounted to that via set screws (refined from an earlier JB weld attempt) is a 2” male to female PVC adapter. Inside the wide end of the PVC (right before the Cokin) snugly sits a 58mm Macro +10.

Inside the threaded end of the PVC sits the heart of the unit, a Nikon F3 D screen, housed via silicone joints within two 49 mm Tiffen UV filters. This was done to prevent dust from getting to the screen (a big problem with DIY projects). Together the mount and the GG fit into a 2” PVC cleanout cap, which has had a hole cut out of the close end and an Canon FD mount screwed on (again JB weld was too cumbersome).

A Canon SCC 50mm f1.4 sits at the end with a 58mm Fotodiox lens hood to prevent flaring. The whole unit was then sandblasted, primered then coated with a semi gloss epoxy-enamel hammer finish. That was then lightly coated with matte clear coat. The surface is now very tough and resembles the metal finish found on many older Sony Betacams. The interior of the adapter was dusted with a flat black matte finish to reduce any light bounce.

I then created a helpfull workaround to the whole upside down issue by creating a removable mirror that shows the image rightside up. This does not solve the fact it is still backwards, but does help some when framing without a seperate LCD. (see LCD of first picture). Everthing can be found at ebay and home depot. Below is the link to the original design mine is based on, thanks whatever your name is: http://home.comcast.net/~wauhkies/adapter/index.html

I am very pleased with the results, as the Nikon screen works much better than my own ground glass (which had a funky 8mm look to it). I find for static adapters, if you cant handle the wax thing (which I could'nt) this screen has the least grain. With the lens I am using, no hotspots, however I did see a slight hot spot when using a 28mm f2.8. I have found acceptable sharpness considereing how much the image must pass through before it gets to the DVX. Below is some test footage I have shot with it.

http://www.imperialrabbit.com/35MM%20TEST%202.wmv

Thanks for checking it out!
    Last edited by Ed Kishel; 03-29-2006 at 08:31 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Wow, great results. Looks similar to a project I am working on. Love the Buddy Christ mine sits at my Avid for good luck.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Wayne Gretzky

www.photographtulsa.com

3. Collapse Details
    Damn! I'm impressed! That's some great test footage.

4. Collapse Details
    Damn nice!

5. Collapse Details
    how hard is this to build for someone like my myself who hasnt built much lol

6. Collapse Details
    Dammit!!! I want one!

7. Collapse Details
    Very slick! That's the nicest static stuff I've seen yet. The Nikon screen is tight. I can see that the two UV filters are causing some flare/internal reflections....but I recognize your dust concerns.
    Last edited by Dennis Wood; 02-12-2006 at 09:59 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Looked really nice. I kind of like the strange flare that the UV filters caused...gave it a very unique look and one that could be exploited to make the final product even better if taken advantage of and used as a tool, rather than thought of as a hindrance. The sharpness was really impressive, far superior to what comes out of the wax adapters. Well done. Can you give an approximate price tag on this (keeping in mind that a bunch of this stuff comes of eBay, so it is variable)? Finally, with the DiY adapters I have seen and used(which is only one), there was a problem where the weight of the various lenses and filters and screens and what-not caused the PVC to sag a little bit and caused some vignetting issues. Anything along those lines? If not, how did you get it to not do that?

9. Collapse Details
    Edwierdo:

cool adapter....beats mine made up filter rings. I also use the Nikon F3 D screen. It is waaaaay better than the Beattie Intelliscreen (which scratched like hell!)

I know that you've gone way out of your way showing the parts...any chance you got some part numbers for the PVC stuff.....everytime I go to Home Depot I waste a lotoftime trying tofind the correct fittings. I am having trouble visualizing the PVC Pipe Cap and the PVC cleanout.

thanks...great stuff
    formerly known as Super8
    ------------------------------
    MOVIE GROOVY
    Coco Bermudez | Creative Director
    6822 22nd Avenue North #101
    St. Petersburg, Florida 33710
    727.492.3338 | moviegroovy.com

10. Collapse Details
    Ed nice job! I am tinkering with one myself. I ordered the wrong macro's I ordered two 52mm instead of 58mm( brainfart). I am using some spacer rings instead of pvc and I'm waiting for the 35mm I bought off ebay to arrive. Ditto for the Rode here too. Thanks for inspiring us.

"Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting"

Page 1 of 140 123451151101 ... LastLast