Thread: Panasonic DSLR?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Panasonic DSLR?
    It's supposed to debut at PMA 2006. I own a Canon 20d, but I'm really amped to see what Panasonic does in this market. Hopefully they'll include O.I.S. (that they have in the Lumix) and do a better job about noise than Olympus (e-500 doesn't really look good over ISO 400.)

The four thirds ratio would be cool. Like 645. Isn't it ironic that I've wanted 16:9 ratio for digital video, and 4:3 for digital pictures? And it's been opposite. 4:3 ccds in the DVX, and 3:2 APS-C CMOS sensor in the Canon 20d.

Anyway, any pics of this upcoming Panasonic DSLR?

Best-

Mike

2. Collapse Details
    Wink
    No love for the panasonic dslr. Guess it's going to do real good.

3. Collapse Details
    I can't imagine how it would survive in this market.

4. Collapse Details
    The lumix is pretty good isn't it, so they may come up trumps.

Wonder how lenses will be sourced..?

5. Collapse Details
    Lumix chips size won't cut it for noise or DOF. Panasonic will be using the 4/3 standard for their DLSR. The four thirds Kodak CCD chip (used in the Olympus E-1, Evolt 300, 500 and the new Panasonic respectively) is still a bit smaller than the APS-C CMOS chip in the Canon 20D.

Bad things about four thirds standard are 2x crop factor for wide angles (meaning for example a 20mm lens would have a 40mm field of view in any Olympus DSLR, and the upcoming Panasonic DSLR), lack of 4/3 mount lenses, and subpar low light performance (can't really use ISO over 400.)

Good things would be if Pansonic includes O.I.S., brings LEICA aboard to make some 4/3 mount lenses (they obviously have a good partnership ) and of course, personally, I like 4:3 ratio for still photography. Some do, some don't.

Right now I'm a Canon guy. I've owned Nikon. I'm still a Canon guy. Will I ever be a Panasonic guy? We'll see. I was so impressed with the DVX when it first came out, and I'm still impressed. They listen to us. Hopefully the DLSR department will too. And include a Flash Exposure Lock like Canon.

6. Collapse Details
    I can't stand 4:3, personally, and I haven't seen a decent 4/3 camera since all of them produce tons of grain. Still camera and video have nothing to do with each other, unfortunately, so I doubt Panasonic will bring much to the table. The digital rebel xt, for the price, is just too good, although the D50 isn't bad either. But outside of those two, it's hard to seriously compete although I applaud the efforts (and surprisingly good products) others have put out.

7. Collapse Details
    Here it is...
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06...sonicdmcl1.asp

Rangefinderesque. Lets see how this sensor holds up against APS-C. Hopefully they can find a way to keep down the noise. The fact that it runs cooler than the Kodak CCD in a couple of the Olympus models should contribute to less noise. Guess we'll see. Oly 330 has the same sensor (made from Pani), so reviews of that one should give some indication as to how the Pani will be.

8. Collapse Details
    The main obstacle to the Panasonic, IMO, is being taken seriously as a professional camera. Panasonic has mainly concentrated on consumer models with its still cameras, so this is a new step. Pro photographers are going to have to be very impressed if they're going to ditch their entire collection of lenses and bodies and move to a whole new system, and frankly a 7.5 megapixel camera isn't going to raise any eyebrows today. I haven't yet seen the array of lenses available for it, but they're going to have to do quite a bit to compete with Nikon and Canon. Best thing would be if they could talk Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina into developing lenses for it. And what about a flash system? If Panasonic is serious about getting into this market, they'll have to invest a lot on it, and shouldn't expect very much return on their investment until they're well established.
    Asa

9. Collapse Details
    To be honest, don't think they're aiming to topple Canon or Nikon, but secure a third place in the dslr market. Definitely a prosumer, rather than pro, camera. But Sigma is supporting 4/3 and more importantly, LEICA. What kills it for me is the chip size. A lot is going to depend on how well Pani's Live MOS chip performs. And I really don't see how they could pack anymore megapixels into a chip that size without really having obscene noise levels. 'Course, megapixels aren't everything and it is supposed to run cooler. Will be interesting.

10. Collapse Details
    If it were actually a rangefinder, I might be interested. However, I likewise don't see it gaining much market share in this arena. Panasonic's still cameras have never performed particularly well, as far as I know, either in specifications or in the marketplace.

4/3 is still just a baby and may yet gain ground, but I'll be sticking with what I have for quite some time.

Commercial and Creative Director at Psychic Bunny, a hybrid media studio in sunny Los Angeles, California.

Producer, Cement Suitcase ( feature film )
    Writer/Director/Producer, Dead Drop ( BetrayalFest finalist ) "A very cool, slick and well done short."
    Producer, The Echo Game ( feature film ) - "There is never a dull moment..."
    Ex. Producer, Coma, Period. ( web series ) - "...few things in web video are done as well as they are in Coma, Period."

@TheSpiceEffect on Twitter IMDb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast