1. Collapse Details
    Aspect Ratio for DVX100B
    I just bought my DVX100B and I want to record 4:3 images, but shoot with 16:9 framing (just in case I need to crop in post). Would setting the aspect ration display to 16:9 and set the Aspect Conv (under Camera Setup in the menu) to Normal give me what I want??

2. Collapse Details
    dont know what your talking about (not that your wrong i just dont know), but i shoot everything 4:3 and matte to 2.35 in post, and I print out overlays from my printer and then make a photo copy to transparency paper which I cut out and tape to the lcd. I also often have a monitor on set which I tape off the top and bottom of the from referencing the overlay on the lcd screen
    "If it ain't helpin' your story, get rid of it" -Michael Bay lol I think he meant blow it up and shoot it from 8 different angles in slow motion.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesesailor77
    dont know what your talking about (not that your wrong i just dont know), but i shoot everything 4:3 and matte to 2.35 in post, and I print out overlays from my printer and then make a photo copy to transparency paper which I cut out and tape to the lcd. I also often have a monitor on set which I tape off the top and bottom of the from referencing the overlay on the lcd screen
    Can you just buy the overlay for the DVX100B lcd? If not, to get the specs to make the overlay, would one would set the display to 16:9 and mark the lcd screen? Sorry if this is a stupid question - it just doesn't seem precise...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarquebe
    one would set the display to 16:9 and mark the lcd screen? ...
    That's what I do with my field monitor [TV] I set to letterbox and use that to mark screen with tape and reset back to 4:3 - You could do the same with lcd - when you say mark, I hope you don't "mark" lcd!
    [/COLOR] ~ I can't change who I am - Don't ask ~

5. Collapse Details
    sugarquebe,
    Call EVs, B&S or AbelCine and get a pack of "Screen Skins" overlays to help you frame for 16x9, 1:85, or 2:35 images. Under 5 bucks for a pack of 2 and they're re-usable. You add the actual letterbox in post.
    Hope this helps.
    Ken
    the Screen Skins guy

6. Collapse Details
    Code is SSDVX, $4.95.

The Digital Cinema Course. 30+ hours of filmmaking instruction on 20 DVD Discs.
    DVXusers get a FREE Audio DVD. Our new Gear Guide teaches Arri, Bogen, Century,
    Cinetech, KinoFlo, MSE, EwaMarine, PAG, Cartoni, Chrosziel, Bebob,
    Nnoga, and Rosco, as well as Safe Renting Tips. To order click HERE .

MYSPACE - YOUTUBE - IMDb -

7. Collapse Details
    excuse my confution but does B veiwfinder display 16:9 in squeeze mode or not?

seems like i read that it was no longer squashed- as in the A version.

8. Collapse Details

9. Collapse Details
    4:3 to 16:9 mistake
    Okay, now a portion of 4:3 footage (30 fps/NTSC) is acquired from another camera (DVX100A) and not compositionally framed with 16:9 delivery specs in mind . What are my options if I decide to letterbox for theatrical, or up-rez to HD ouput?

10. Collapse Details
    You'll basically have to decide which part of the top/bottom of the frame you want to "crop out" with the letterboxing in post.
    Hope this helps.
    Ken
    the Screen Skins guy