Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nsoltz View Post
    Haven't been following the thread but butting in. FX9 is a very viable camera. Not so much for wildlife. If Doug Jensen gives you an answer, consider it to be of Biblical authority.
    Oh man, don't put that pressure on me. I have made my share of blunders and mistaken posts.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    It's a hardware limitation of the camera. On the FX9 you only get 0-4 seconds with 4K @ 60p, which is virtually useless for wildlife anyway. What good is 0-4 seconds of preroll gonna do for you?
    If you want to jump up to 4K 120 fps capture then the camera would have to be built with much bigger buffer memory. That is probably expensive and not very much in demand by the average camera buyer. Unless you can give me at least 5-6 seconds at 4K 120 fps -- I'd have no interested in using cache for wildlife.

The FX6 can record 4K XAVC-I on super cheap V30 SDXC cards. Take a handful with you into the woods and just let the camera roll and then you won't need cache.

The FX9 has Last Clip Delete so you can just let the camera roll . . . . if no action happens after awhile . . . stop . . . delete . . . record again. Takes about 5 seconds. I use Last Clip Delete all the time with my other cameras. But you can't do that on the FX6. The lack of Last Clip Delete on the FX6 is what people should be talking about.
    Last Clip Delete is one of the best features ever invented. It's been so long since I used it that I forgot about it.

Had it on a Panasonic HPX250 back in 2013 when filming sports highlights from all-day tournaments.

Coming home with 90% of your final product on your memory card and saving hours and hours of editing was so nice.

3. Collapse Details
    If I had to hike miles thru the mountains for wildlife scenes, I know which camera I'd prefer in my backpack.

J.Cummings-Lighting Cameraman
    http://www.ohfilmworks.com
    IMDb

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JCummings View Post
    If I had to hike miles thru the mountains for wildlife scenes, I know which camera I'd prefer in my backpack.
    How about if you are wanting to justify to a client the greater rental rate over what the person with the FX6 charges? FX9 or FX6?
    Big sources matter.

5. Collapse Details
    Who charges rates that are based on the camera? When someone hires me, I choose the right tools for the job and the rate is the same whether I'm shooting with a GoPro or a Z750.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    Who charges rates that are based on the camera? When someone hires me, I choose the right tools for the job and the rate is the same whether I'm shooting with a GoPro or a Z750.
    While some clients are happy with an overall rate, there are still plenty of clients out there who want itemized bids and invoices. Of course whether any of them will actually know the difference between an FX6 or FX9 is debatable, or whether they actually need any more detail than '4K Camera Package' as a line item. But between social distancing requiring multiple monitors to avoid a single video village area, and the little add-ons like needing a separate zoom feed for each camera and often multiple prompter setups as well, the 'basic day rate for what's needed' concept has become a lot more challenging.

7. Collapse Details
    All depends on the sort of job you do I guess.

There's a price for me with no kit and there's a price for me including kit and if we need to get stuff in that's added too.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

My reel

Website
    Instagram
    Linkedin

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy_Dem View Post
    I posted this in the FX3 thread. You might find it helpful as it has the FX9, FX6, and FX3 side by side. Curiously the FX3 doesn't seem to match the FX6 even though they are using the same sensor. The FX3 appears to be more saturated and "sharper". However I wouldn't fully rely on this single video sample, as everyone knows side by side tests can easily be screwed up as one could easily inadvertently have a single or multiple settings mismatched.

He also shot the cameras in Slog3 and used a LUT in post, which could also be the another reason for this mismatch if something was somehow setup wrong in the NLE. A side by side of the SOOC with S-Cinetone may be a "better" comparison. But always tests that you do yourself will yield better information based on your workflow, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajVKnRibAlU
    Correct me if I知 wrong but the fact it is an A7s3 and FX3 being compared - is there the issue of lack of native ND that will cause discrepancies on tests like these?
    I haven稚 watched that video in full but my main gripe when I see tests with the A7s3/ FX3 is that you have to use external ND which will color the image somewhat and make the test unbalanced.
    This is another reason I prefer the FX6 as a b-cam to the FX9 over the A7s3/ FX3 - for me the ND is everything with these Sony Cams

9. Collapse Details
    Most camera comparison tests don't use NDs to compare IQ.

NDs may produce discrepancies (cheap ones affect colors and sharpness), but only if the user allows them to.

Meaning, not all external NDs will affect a test. The more expensive ones are just as good, if not better than the internal ones in any camera (just more of a pain to use). You can usually tell if external NDs are affecting your picture by looking at the blacks, the corners, and overall detail.

10. Collapse Details
    Actually most ND's, even one's from well known "quality" names like B+W may be optically excellent but they aren't neutral . You have to look around for truly neutral NDs.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast