Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    FX9 is it still viable - I知 looking to buy 🤔
    Hi

I have been shooting on a Red Gemini for the last couple of years and also ownthe Fs7 for the fast turnaround gigs.

I recently sold the Fs7 and opted for the FX6 which I’ve been enjoying - this ultimately led to me selling the Red Gemini to go for an FX9 as the replacement for the Red.

haven’t purchased the FX9 just yet but will probably buy one in a few weeks - I have been noticing a lot of people ditching their FX9’s though in favor of buying the FX6.

Is the Fx9 not what’s it’s cracked up to be or should I just stick with the FX6 - I really have warmed to the Sony FX9 image though this last year - where I’ve rented for a few projects - so much so - I decided sell off the Red Gemini in favor of the Sony’s

What’s you’re thoughts on owning both or is it slightly too late now to be thinking of Fx9 as my main workhorse?樂
    Last edited by cane141; 03-02-2021 at 01:42 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Any camera is viable if you can enjoy it or make money off of it.

If the FX9 has everything you need and you don't have a camera neurotic personality that will make you regret your purchase when its replacement is released within 6-18 months then it's all good!

The cycle of buying and selling repeats itself for thousands of people every year. People ditch their expensive cameras for less expensive models because many want the newer features (size is definitely a feature) or simply realize they don't need such an expensive camera.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    For your needs, what does the fx9 have that the fx6 doesn't?

4. Collapse Details
    I love my FX9 but be aware that you may have clients who think everything has to be shot on a RED . Business decision.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    I love my FX9 but be aware that you may have clients who think everything has to be shot on a RED . Business decision.
    I’ve found that less to be the case this last year but I could always hire a Red if need be

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    For your needs, what does the fx9 have that the fx6 doesn't?

Coming from Red I feel like the FX9 has a sharper more thicker image (if that makes sense..) over the FX6.
    I also quite like the weight and the form factor same as the Fs7 that I’ve gotten use to over the last 5 years
    Saying that, the FX6 has been unexpectedly good so I guess I’m now confused ��*♂️ Especially after seeing a lot of people selling the Fx9 or looking to trade for FX6’s etc

7. Collapse Details
    Interesting , when I was shooting FS7 I had a client whop felt the RED had a thicker image .
    I have no interest in FX6. I just got an A7siii as a 2nd camera.
    Hope work comes back before its out of date though.

8. Collapse Details
    Unless I specifically needed some of the broadcast-focussed features that the FX9 has over the FX6, I’m not sure I’d see the value in it - especially for replacing a Gemini.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    Interesting , when I was shooting FS7 I had a client whop felt the RED had a thicker image .
    I have no interest in FX6. I just got an A7siii as a 2nd camera.
    Hope work comes back before its out of date though.
    I am the opposite, I really feel like the FX6 can be small enough to match everything the A7s3 has to offer but with the NDs for gimbal work and b-cam duties etc

10. Collapse Details
    The problem with FX-9 is its fairly expensive attachment for Raw recording, whereas a lower tier FX-6 (and FX-3 and A7SIII) can record Raw into Ninja 5 without it. Many FX-9 owners are not happy about that.

I speculate that Sony would release an FX-9II, that can record Raw either internally or to Ninja V via HDMI.

But I have no inside info. It just seems reasonable.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast