Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Kinefinity yanks compressed RAW formats
    Because of Red's patent, Kinefinity will remove the RAW codecs from MAVO LF, MAVO 6K, TERRA 4K, and the upcoming MAVO Edge.

https://ymcinema.com/2021/03/01/kine...inema-cameras/

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Meh, as exciting as the Mavo Edge sounds. Prores Raw remains a massive workflow headache. Until Apple makes it more universally accessible, and easier to work with - it's barely a viable recording codec anyway.

3. Collapse Details
    There are other compression codecs (H265) and, in 8K, it is beneficial to get the file size down anyway.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Wow! Finally happened.

Owned a KineMINI 4K back in 2015, which had CDNG and something called KineRAW (required a proprietary workflow).

Along with Blackmagic, they were both ahead of their time in terms of providing very high-quality internal recording options in lower cost cameras. In my mind, I had thought RED may not bother with Kinefinity (since it appeared they hadn't for years), but I guess they finally did as the company continued to make cameras (and better cameras).

5. Collapse Details
    What patent is involved with this?

P

6. Collapse Details

7. Collapse Details
    While RED has several related patents, I believe patent 9,245,314 is the key one that covers RAW recording:
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US9245314B2/en

This is the patent that Apple challenged the validity of to the Patent Trial and Appeal Board in 2019 through the Inter Partes Review process:
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/11/...patent-office/

RED's patent was upheld in that review process, and I believe that Apple decided not to appeal that decision to the Federal Circuit. Once the case gets to the Federal Circuit courts, it becomes a considerably more expensive process to pursue. The Inter Partes Review process for patents is relatively quick and relatively inexpensive (by legal standards), often costing in the six-figure range and taking about a year or two. In contrast, an appeal to the Federal Circuit would likely end up taking several years and costs could run in the seven-figure+ range depending on how long things dragged on.

8. Collapse Details
    Prores is the way to go. just so mich easier in post. files are a bit big, but play like butter.

tested the Mavo against the Red, and Red handles better in extreme lighting. But could have been user error on my part. Mavo seemed at least a stop behind in DR. whereas A7s3, C500ii etc all give Red’s a run on DR, the Mavo seemed obviously behind. unfortunately.

Inlove how the Mavo packs into a small case, and is rather easy to build. Startup and battery are dopeness. overall the feel of the Mavo image is great, and could easily shoot a feature or commercial.

looking forward to the Carbon thing they announced last year.

peace

9. Collapse Details
    Well, well, well... Look what the cat dragged in... All it took was a little upheaval in this corner of the internet and some of the old timers decided to pop back in. ; ) Lol

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Well, well, well... Look what the cat dragged in... All it took was a little upheaval in this corner of the internet and some of the old timers decided to pop back in. ; ) Lol
    Kinfinity news is pretty exciting. they make a beasty little camera. having the opportunity to test it last year, figured i’d drop my two cents.

I really like shooting direct to ProRes too. Raw gives that nifty “iso” dropdown that people love, but i find i don’t use iso options in post ever. Prores just plays back nicer on any computer, which happens quite a lot that someone in the production chain has an old beater, and yeah, over prores just works. will be interesting to see how kinfinity fares without raw, Raw, RAW. haha.

hope it helps.

cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast