Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 179
  1. Collapse Details
    #21
    Senior Member Peter C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    524
    Default
    On other forums similar issues of people upset not knowing the reasons for a member's sudden banning. In my experience there is always a history where mods have privately warned someone but the person ignores it. Mods out of respect keep their communications between members private.

    It's not a mystery what's going on. The mods are trying to not let this forum descend into another place where people have petty fights with one another. That type of environment is more likely to turn off the type of people they want to attract, serious minded video professionals. Anyone who joins or currently is a member shouldn't have any fear of banning if they don't talk politics, are respectful of others, and stick to the purpose of this forum. Unfortunately, it often takes a suspension to let people know that the mods are serious.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 03-02-2021 at 12:47 PM.
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #22
    Senior Member Liam Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Worldwide
    Posts
    3,406
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Can I note the irony that this very topic / thread has nothing to do with video production?
    Yes, entirely deliberate on my part.

    You could make a case the way the forum has changed is in part due to the fact there are so many great quality cameras at an affordable price point there is less trickery pokery to learn or share. Though I don’t miss all those idiot wannabes who used to claim whatever camera was released wasn’t good enough to shoot their script. Given, they have no excuse anymore they just disappeared!


    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    what do you suggest as a remedy?
    For me the format needs a major overhaul. I’d like to see more interaction between professionals who post here. More discussion of technique, best practice etc. More networking. Maybe mentoring for newbies. Definitely more banter and more humour. And definitely more discussions of issues that really matter.
    Last edited by Liam Hall; 03-01-2021 at 12:43 PM.
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

    www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #23
    Senior Member Liam Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Worldwide
    Posts
    3,406
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoughla View Post
    If this community wants to grow, then it needs to operate in a way that reflects the community at large.

    What's being championed in the industry right now? Diversity, transparency, activism, etc.

    What's okay to talk about on this forum? None of those things.

    The reality is, people aren't satisfied just talking about cameras and technology anymore. To try to operate a community while pretending none of this is happening outside it is non-viable, and partly explains the dwindling quality of the membership and the posts here, imo. If you're still listening, I would like to see

    1. A forum where members are actually allowed to discuss, freely, the issues and topics that impact their lives, political aspects included.

    2. Abandonment of the current "I know it when I see it" approach to moderating and transparent moderation policies. If there is a high profile banning of a member, the circumstances that led to the ban must be clearly explained to the membership. Otherwise, how is anyone to know what's acceptable behavior for themselves? Point to a list of rules, and clearly state how they were violated.

    In the absence of transparency, you're actually harming someone like John Brawley's reputation because now people like me are legitimately questioning whether he said something incredibly awful if he got banned and his banning is being discussed by moderations in the same context as a person who used slurs. No one with a reputation at stake is going to sign up for a forum where there's a risk of that kind of association happening. It's a chilling effect.
    Yup. Couldn’t agree more.
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

    www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #24
    Senior Member Liam Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Worldwide
    Posts
    3,406
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    On other forums similar issues of people upset not knowing the reasons for a member's sudden banning. In my experience there is always a history where mods have privately warned someone who has a pattern of behavior violating the rules and behaving badly. Mods out of respect keep their communications between members private.

    It's not a mystery what's going on. The mods are trying to not let this forum descend into another place where people have petty fights with one another. That type of environment is more likely to turn off the type of people they want to attract, serious minded video professionals. Anyone who joins or currently is a member shouldn't have any fear of banning if they don't talk politics, are respectful of others, and stick to the purpose of this forum. Unfortunately, it often takes a suspension to let people know that the mods are serious.
    I’m going to politely ignore this post as I think it’s total bollocks. YMMV.
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

    www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #25
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,331
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    Yes, entirely deliberate on my part.

    You could make a case the way the forum has changed is in part due to the fact there are so many great quality cameras at an affordable price point there is less trickery pokery to learn or share. Though I don’t miss all those idiot wannabes who used to claim whatever camera was released wasn’t good enough to shoot their script. Given, they have no excuse anymore they just disappeared!




    For me the format needs a major overhaul. I’d like to see more interaction between professionals who post here. More discussion of technique, best practice etc. More networking. Maybe mentoring for newbies. Definitely more banter and more humour.
    Obviously, sometimes it can go too far, but I'm fine with the natural flow of some of the discussions on here, and as I've said numerous times, sometimes it leads to something even better.

    Abe and I were having a PM discussion about this very thing and I said that I believe the much lower priced gear has had a toll on this board, as well. But from a slightly different perspective. This board started out years ago, because of the low-end/prosumer digital gear that started opening up the industry and indie movement. It's safe to say that most people that were here then, were striving to climb the ladder with their work and equipment. And now they play with the big boy toys. Now, the industry is kind of regressing with "cheap gear" and the biggest, most active threads on gear on here involve the super-low priced gear. When was the last time there was a multi-page discussion on a real cine or broadcast zoom lens? And every few months you get, "What $200 tripod should I buy?" I'm not trying to be elitist or anything like that, because the industry has changed at all levels, but I can see why some of the old faces are gone or at least less active. They've outgrown so much of what goes on here, now.

    I will say, that for the most part, this board is much friendlier and more open than some of the others out there. RU is very toxic at times and full of RED sycophants or guys that just wanna bitch about the cameras not having "this" or "that". There are some good people on there and I like the slightly more "adult" interactions that can be had(no language censoring like we're in elementary school), but there are some very rude, self-righteous @$$ holes on there, too.
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Bergen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,343
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    Yup. Couldn’t agree more.
    +1
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #27
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,585
    Default
    Following and listening. Thanks for the comments so far.
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

    weareskylark.com
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #28
    Senior Member Liam Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Worldwide
    Posts
    3,406
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Obviously, sometimes it can go too far, but I'm fine with the natural flow of some of the discussions on here, and as I've said numerous times, sometimes it leads to something even better.

    Abe and I were having a PM discussion about this very thing and I said that I believe the much lower priced gear has had a toll on this board, as well. But from a slightly different perspective. This board started out years ago, because of the low-end/prosumer digital gear that started opening up the industry and indie movement. It's safe to say that most people that were here then, were striving to climb the ladder with their work and equipment. And now they play with the big boy toys. Now, the industry is kind of regressing with "cheap gear" and the biggest, most active threads on gear on here involve the super-low priced gear. When was the last time there was a multi-page discussion on a real cine or broadcast zoom lens? And every few months you get, "What $200 tripod should I buy?" I'm not trying to be elitist or anything like that, because the industry has changed at all levels, but I can see why some of the old faces are gone or at least less active. They've outgrown so much of what goes on here, now.

    I will say, that for the most part, this board is much friendlier and more open than some of the others out there. RU is very toxic at times and full of RED sycophants or guys that just wanna bitch about the cameras not having "this" or "that". There are some good people on there and I like the slightly more "adult" interactions that can be had(no language censoring like we're in elementary school), but there are some very rude, self-righteous @$$ holes on there, too.
    All good points and I largely agree but being better than ResUser is a very low bar. I can’t remember the last time I posted in there.

    Maybe it’s the format that needs to change, it seems dated. Camera tech changes fast. Social media changes fast. DVX not so much.
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

    www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #29
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoughla View Post
    What's being championed in the industry right now? Diversity, transparency, activism, etc.
    .
    Sticks Nix Hick Pix
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #30
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,585
    Default
    If we could, let’s keep the discussion focused on where we want this site to go in the future. Thanks!
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

    weareskylark.com
     

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •