Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Absolutely agree with you Ben (Post #37). I spent many years "on the other side" at DVInfo - which is a real names only forum. Joined that back in 2007 and after nearly 3,000 posts on there I no longer spend much time on it these days. Shame as it was a really good forum a few years back. There are still some highly experienced people who post occasionally on there (and some of those post on here too - and I find the discussions on things I'm interested in now seem to happen on here). I always try and be courteous and help people with info I think might be useful - whenever I can. It's the least one can do in return for the great knowledge that many share freely on here.

If there are to be changes then I think DVXUser should become a real names only forum - just so so you know who's commenting. That's just me being an old fashioned git! Feel free to ignore the idea!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by andykwilkinson View Post
    I spent many years "on the other side" at DVInfo - which is a real names only forum.
    I stopped posting there about 10 years ago after some heavy-handed moderation drove me away. I'm still waiting for the apology...
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    My very limited interactions so far back on here it all feels a bit more like an anonymous youtube comments bin instead of that helpful community of likeminded souls but we'll see.
    I agree and one thing I hear again and again is how we don't want toxicity in the forum. Just that kind of negative one-upmanship and taking out our stress on one another.

By the way, in case it wasn't clear - I wasn't referring to your FX6 owners club thread earlier in a pejorative sense but as an example of a nuts and bolts narrowly focused thread instead of the type of meandering thread that inevitably leads back to Kubrick.

Re:real names, I'd give anything to change my username to Abe Halpert from ahalpert. It must have been a holdover from my usernames at college

4. Collapse Details
    Oh I missed that completely so no offence

I started that thread so I could concentrate on the only thing of interest to me without it still being the 'people who aren't using the camera but are wading in their youtube opinions' thread.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

My reel

Website
    Instagram
    The Dots profile

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by andykwilkinson View Post
    If there are to be changes then I think DVXUser should become a real names only forum - just so so you know who's commenting.
    I don't understand the allure of this rule. How would "Jake Smith" make it easier to "know who's commenting" any more than "jdawg101"?

There are lots of reasons I can think of that someone would wish to remain pseudononymous while interacting with strangers from around the world.

And there is one big benefit to others: uniqueness, which isn't guaranteed by real names. What if there are two Bob Smiths?
    Last edited by combatentropy; 03-02-2021 at 12:29 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    I'm torn on 'real names only', even though I am on some boards that are 'real name' forums. Being behind a screen name on the faceless internet opens up the door to all kinds of vitriol, hate, trolling, lies and general verbal diarrhea that can be spewed with little to no accountability and responsibility by those doing it. But on the flip side of that, it can allow people to speak freely or at least more freely than they would or could otherwise, especially on certain subjects. History is full of instances of people that used nom de plume's and other forms of anonymity that allowed information to be presented to the press and public that helped bring forth enlightenment, change and otherwise shine a light on the "unknown and bad things" happening in the dark places out of general view, that otherwise may not have happened because of the fear and consequences of reprisal.

There was also another, once popular, board that I'm on(and a few others here, as well) that added a sub-forum that was 'real names only'. Some members already used their real names and others didn't. If memory serves, if you chose to register your real name to be able to post on this specific sub-forum, you actually kept your existing screen name and it placed your real name below it(so that both were visible). Anyone could still view this sub-forum, but only the users that chose to register their real names could post in it. In the beginning, it was active, but quickly fell off by the way side and most activity continued on the rest of the forum that did not require real names.

My .02 on the subject.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    I don't understand the allure of this rule. How would "Jake Smith" make it easier to "know who's commenting" any more than "jdawg101"?

There are lots of reasons I can think of that someone would wish to remain pseudononymous while interacting with strangers from around the world.

And there is one big benefit to others: unique names, which isn't guaranteed by real names. What if there are two Bob Smiths? In fact, for me at least it is harder to keep a distinct impression of those of you who use your real names. When I see roxics, I immediately remember his past posts and what he's like. But I can easily mix up two users if their names are everyday, even if two users' names are completely different (made-up example, "Bob Smith" vs "Steve Williams", harder for me to cement a distinct yet cohesive impression of them, because I mix up their posts with others). If someone has an unusual first or last name, then it works. I remember who Charles Papert is. Or if they have been around forever. I remember Barry Green.
    I have a very popular first name(at least for the time period when I was born) and sorta common last name. I know of at least five or six other people in this business, in other parts of the country and we all have the same first and last names and actually share some of the same clients and said clients have mixed us up on numerous occasions with travel snafu's, bookings and even payment. And on one of the 'real name' boards I'm on, there are at least two or three of "us".

8. Collapse Details
    This isn't the type of forum where one should need to hide about anything. We are neither planning a riot nor is it a forum for victims of crime.

It's a video production/camera forum.

Real Names promotes a sense of real humans on the other end of a conversation and subsequently, of community. Frankly, if I don't know anything about the person I am speaking to I am very unlikely to take anything they have to say with much more than a pinch of salt.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

My reel

Website
    Instagram
    The Dots profile

9. Collapse Details
    I would like to change my account to my real name. I can't. Don't require it but give us the option. This is part of the issue- a lot of the forum features don't work well.

For years I found cinematography.com to have the best information but that also was because I wanted to learn 16mm. I was part of the group that was drawn to dvxuser when the F35 was "rediscovered". The early F35 post had an unspoken rule that you shouldn't post unless you had something new to contribute. And for a while the discovery was fascinating and fun, it was the only place you could find out information on the F35.

Now the F35 forum is dominated by repeat conversations. How many times will new users ask what the proper 7Q firmware is for the F35. I blame a lot of this on the poor search function of the forum. I use google to search dvx because the built in one is extremely frustrating, and it shouldn't have to be that way.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    This isn't the type of forum where one should need to hide about anything. We are neither planning a riot nor is it a forum for victims of crime.

It's a video production/camera forum.

Real Names promotes a sense of real humans on the other end of a conversation and subsequently, of community. Frankly, if I don't know anything about the person I am speaking to I am very unlikely to take anything they have to say with much more than a pinch of salt.
    No, we're not talking about national security, but with the way that clients and employers scour the internet today for information on their hires and employees, I'm sure some would not like to lose out on a job or employment, because of something they may have said on an internet forum that someone else may not like(for whatever reason) or may be taken the wrong way by someone who's sole job it is to "dig for dirt"?

Even though I behave professionally and I would never purposefully spread lies, troll or "dish dirt" or "talk trash" about a client or person by name on a public forum, because I just don't think it's in good form, I'm glad I have the option on here to go by a screen name(and anyone who even half-way knows me, can figure out who I am by my screen name).

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast