Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    Asking for a friend...
    what do you suggest as a remedy?

2. Collapse Details
    There a lot of photo-video sites now and even more YouTube channels on the topic. When I joined DVXUser in October, 2014, I only recall Kai from the DigitalRev doing frequent photo-video reviews. There were, obviously, others, such as the former TSC Jordan. Nowadays, it's a cottage industry and they all dilute the individual site/channel popularity.

Oh and ----

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    There are two threads going right now that have derailed to
    -4K tripod heads ha ha and
    -business practice
    The latter worth discussing but not the topic

Users should maybe think a little harde about keeping banter in the cafe.
    I enjoy the free-wheeling nature of some of the topics. It can feel artificially restrained to keep the subject to the narrow topic of the thread title when multiple issues are so often interrelated.

One of the most interesting conversations I had on dvxuser was an off-topic tangent with Brawley before he got banned about handheld operating technique and style in general and Kubrick's in particular. But he ended every reply with an admonition about how we were getting off-topic, so eventually I created a new thread, but nobody migrated there and the conversation died, leaving me forever dissatisfied.

And there are still threads like Ben Scott's FX6 owners club that are devoted to the best Pelican configuration for your FX6 package, etc.

I suppose it depends on if you see dvxuser as more of a chat room or more of a technical journal. Sometimes when I search the archives for technical answers, it can be tiresome to wade through unrelated posts. I apologize for making dumb, irrelevant jokes and promise to tone it down, but I for one appreciate open-ended discussions.

4. Collapse Details
    I think it is a question of evaluating the thread.

Some threads are best remaining about specific technical things.

Some times it is good to talk, operating practice setiquette and business practice.

Its not great when 'how to attach a mic to my gopro' turns into 'only losers work on projects so small not to have a soundie'

I note Bens thread and have stayed off it. They need to know details to make best use of the chosen tool and dont need an essay from me how Sony would improve by employing designers from Fisher Price or the local pre-school.

Im almost interested in the other thread.. "FX6 questions to be ONLY answered by FX6 owners" becuase the typical YT review doesnt cover things like if the camera has an 'on' light (fs7 im looking at you) or pal/ntsc rates can be used on the same card*.

So to me its about personally moderating ones performance on a thread by thread basis

*they can but you cant play them back or see them when in the other mode? Leading to that 'ive lost everything nausea'
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 03-01-2021 at 12:51 AM.

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details
    My personal reality is that I have no shortage of friends and family for shooting the S#%!. However, I'll never amass a local community (especially during Covid, but other times as well) for technical questions that brings anything close to the amount of experience that is accessible here on this forum. So, for that reason, I do get annoyed by the amount of social media style banter on the forum. I totally get why it happens since I engage in the exact same type of banter elsewhere, but that's not why I am here.

As Abe pointed out, once you try to actually search for something, there is a TON of irrelevant stuff to wade through in just about every thread.

I contribute in threads, but the truth is that I read much more than I write. I wish others would do the same unless they really have something to add.

This isn't about creating new rules, nor any kind of thought police. People should be able to decide for themselves, but my personal take is that there is a lot of stuff that I could do without because what I am really reading and sifting through is someone else's socializing for personal entertainment and/or social engagement. Again, no crime in that, I just choose to do it elsewhere and would prefer a more focused repository of useful info around our field/work.

I'm a big fan of having a "Cafe" for socializing or musings. Then, people know what they are getting when they go there and can hopefully show a bit more restraint when discussing something with specific technical, artistic/creative, or business/industry content in mind.

7. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Let me just throw this out there for everyone…

What do you WANT this site to be? HOW would you like it to change? What can we (collectively as the mods and admins) do to move in that direction?

Fair warning… I can’t guarantee that anything you mention will happen, but I promise that your voices WILL be heard by someone.
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

8. Collapse Details
    Well Covid boosted youtube and almost stopped regular trade and business. I guess this reflects on this forum too.

I think most people over here stopped investing in new gear for a while, ergo: less / other forum posts.

The big question is, will it get to 'normal' after covid? Or is this an ongoing process that started long before covid.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
    Let me just throw this out there for everyone…

What do you WANT this site to be? HOW would you like it to change? What can we (collectively as the mods and admins) do to move in that direction?

Fair warning… I can’t guarantee that anything you mention will happen, but I promise that your voices WILL be heard by someone.
    If this community wants to grow, then it needs to operate in a way that reflects the community at large.

What's being championed in the industry right now? Diversity, transparency, activism, etc.

What's okay to talk about on this forum? None of those things.

The reality is, people aren't satisfied just talking about cameras and technology anymore. To try to operate a community while pretending none of this is happening outside it is non-viable, and partly explains the dwindling quality of the membership and the posts here, imo. If you're still listening, I would like to see

1. A forum where members are actually allowed to discuss, freely, the issues and topics that impact their lives, political aspects included.

2. Abandonment of the current "I know it when I see it" approach to moderating and transparent moderation policies. If there is a high profile banning of a member, the circumstances that led to the ban must be clearly explained to the membership. Otherwise, how is anyone to know what's acceptable behavior for themselves? Point to a list of rules, and clearly state how they were violated.

In the absence of transparency, you're actually harming someone like John Brawley's reputation because now people like me are legitimately questioning whether he said something incredibly awful if he got banned and his banning is being discussed by moderations in the same context as a person who used slurs. No one with a reputation at stake is going to sign up for a forum where there's a risk of that kind of association happening. It's a chilling effect.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoughla View Post
    If this community wants to grow, then it needs to operate in a way that reflects the community at large.

What's being championed in the industry right now? Diversity, transparency, activism, etc.

What's okay to talk about on this forum? None of those things.

The reality is, people aren't satisfied just talking about cameras and technology anymore. To try to operate a community while pretending none of this is happening outside it is non-viable, and partly explains the dwindling quality of the membership and the posts here, imo. If you're still listening, I would like to see

1. A forum where members are actually allowed to discuss, freely, the issues and topics that impact their lives, political aspects included.

2. Abandonment of the current "I know it when I see it" approach to moderating and transparent moderation policies. If there is a high profile banning of a member, the circumstances that led to the ban must be clearly explained to the membership. Otherwise, how is anyone to know what's acceptable behavior for themselves? Point to a list of rules, and clearly state how they were violated.

In the absence of transparency, you're actually harming someone like John Brawley's reputation because now people like me are legitimately questioning whether he said something incredibly awful if he got banned and his banning is being discussed by moderations in the same context as a person who used slurs. No one with a reputation at stake is going to sign up for a forum where there's a risk of that kind of association happening. It's a chilling effect.
    He did not. I have seen the exchange. John was nothing but polite and professional.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast