Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 179
  1. Collapse Details
    #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,935
    Default
    For me having real names or company names gives people skin in the game. Some level of accountability that doesn't exist with anonymous posters. Facebook has more genuine interactions that twitter. Linkedin has the most courteous and professional interactions of them all because it has the most transparency on who is on the other end of the keyboard. I like to know who I am talking to but its not just names its having a resume attached or some examples of work and experiences . I do look up peoples work or experience to assess the validity of their information. As much as CML can be an ego clash I have an idea of who I should pay attention to and who likes to make noise or be contrarian based on who they are and their company/resume. Is the poster a hobbiest dealing with little risk but on the cheap or a working professional that is making a career based on the advice given. These things are important to me and something i value more in other platforms for information. The number of people who comment on cameras and lighting without ever having used them or run tests but watched a few youtube videos to regurgitate is an industry wide problem. I'd like to come up with a way to solve that. It used to feel that the more experienced users posted the most but maybe thats just my impression from 10yrs ago. Maybe I've outgrown DVXUSER as one of the people who used to be a DVX user and has grown leaps and bounds in my career since that time.
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #82
    Rockin the Boat
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles CA
    Posts
    2,971
    Default
    The “real names” idea strikes me as plainly stupid. I would vote against it. And if it were implemented, I would quit this site immediately - and I have been on this site since 2006 and have almost 3000 posts. In all that time I have never been PM’d by a mod with any kind of caution, or warning, or temporary ban, or censure. Oh, if you need to know whether to take a person’s opinion seriously, it’s more important that they have a long track record and tons of posts, so you know exactly what you are getting - just having a name doesn’t do much in comparison.

    There are tons of reasons why anonymity might be preferrable. Yes, you are more free to speak honestly - and no, it’s not the case that if the opinion is controversial, therefore it’s “wrong and trollish” and “consider why”. For example, my background is the world of agenting, producing, writing. I also do a lot of film/TV reviews on this site. I express strong opinions about content. There is no way I’d do that honestly with my real name, because many of the people involved in the content I’m reviewing might have been former clients of mine, or my friend’s or the agency, or people I worked or collaborated with. Would I say honestly about an actor with whom I’ve had a professional relationship, that they did a really, really bad job in a given film? NO.

    A real name policy is a policy that will stifle any dissent or contrary opinion or unpopular opinion (at any given moment and fashion of the times). You will not get an honest opinion from that engineer from company X about their product. Maybe you have no interesting opinion or nothing exclusive to reveal, and feel therefore that since you say nothing of such consequence, it’s fine to use your real name. But there are others who do have something of consequence to say, so please don’t make policies that restrict that just because you do you. IF YOU WANT TO USE YOUR REAL NAME DO SO, BUT LEAVE THE OPTION FOR THOSE WHO DON’T. See? That way both can be accomodated.

    Lack of anonymity will lead to bland, “safe” and uncontroversial posts. But mostly, it will lead to silence.

    In today’s climate you simply don’t know who will take offence at what and for what inconceivable reason - which is why employers regularly google prospective - or even current - employees and can get rid of them not for any real offence but “just to be safe”. JUST TO BE SAFE. Any controversy = bad, therefore the safest is to not hire. Regardless of actual offence or validity of opinion - just the PERCEPTION of controversy - without any specific complaint leads to “why take a chance”. Who in their right mind would say anything under their own name? Many, many won’t. Which is why this leads to silence and low traffic. If you know you are being monitored, and there’s a record, you won’t participate, period. Or at least many won’t.

    Employers often ask for FB and Twitter accounts - as happens I am on neither, and never have been, not because of any other reason than it’s a time sink and I do not wish to waste time on those platforms. People are astounded that I don’t have such accounts. It’s “suspicious” - so what, should I start an Instagram or other platform accounts just to “perform socially” and post nothing but bunnies and cats and flowers, so a future employer won’t look at me suspiciously because I don’t have an FB account? Sorry, it’s dumb. It doesn’t lead to any “truth and safety”, it leads to “deception and self-preservation”, and mostly to silence and lies. Good going “real names” policy outcomes! Remember - unintended consequences.

    I cannot imagine the idiocy of someone who thinks anonymity is undesirable - it’s the same kind of bonehead who thinks privacy is unimportant, because “if you do nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide”. History tells us - abundantly - that anonymity and freedom of expression go hand in hand. Civilization would be impossible without it. We all know regimes that have tried the “no anonymity” route and totalitarianism is not a success. There’s a reason, that such regimes - f.ex. China - make great efforts to strip people of anonymity. And this applies not just to political speech, but to ALL speech. If there is no option to express an opinion anonymously - IN ANY AREA - it represents a fundamental failure.

    Yes, anonymity can lead to more trolling. But that’s the price you pay. It’s exactly the same as the dilemma and tradoffs of free speech. Free speech can lead to a lot of nonsense and bad speech. But the alternative is much worse. It’s exactly as the dilemma with freedom itself. It means some will use their freedom for negative things - but the alternative is much worse. There is no “safe” space - because the safest is the grave. Life, and freedom means positive and negative. Embrace it. Deal with it - minimize the trolls, establish policies, but keep it free. And anonymity is the bedrock of that freedom, without it, freedom cannot exist.

    You want to use your real name - knock yourself out. YOU HAVE THAT OPTION RIGHT NOW. But if you make a policy of “real names only”, that leaves me, and people like me, without options - and at that point I’m gone.
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #83
    Senior Member Ben Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,467
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post

    I cannot imagine the idiocy of someone who thinks anonymity is undesirable -
    I hope the rest of your posts are as solid gold as this.

    All just reads like it was typed from a bunker while the poster finishes a tin foil hat. A perfect example of someone being rude while being anonymous.
    Last edited by Ben Scott; 03-03-2021 at 11:57 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------


    My reel

    Website
    Instagram
    The Dots profile
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #84
    Senior Member Peter C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    519
    Default
    Good points. I find the most off putting (which I'm sometimes guilty of) is these forums become a room filled of egos shouting "my opinion is more valid than yours".
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #85
    Default
    And your sarcasm and mockery are not rude?
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,935
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    You will not get an honest opinion from that engineer from company X about their product. Maybe you have no interesting opinion or nothing exclusive to reveal, and feel therefore that since you say nothing of such consequence, it’s fine to use your real name. But there are others who do have something of consequence to say,

    Lack of anonymity will lead to bland, “safe” and uncontroversial posts.

    Who in their right mind would say anything under their own name?

    I cannot imagine the idiocy of someone who thinks anonymity is undesirable -
    Thats the point. I want truth and honesty not something of consequence or controversial. Factual information and experience is what I am after not an argument. I want to know if the person pushing a product works for that product or for a competing product. Or has even used the product. Without anything to back up your listed experience you could just as easily be a basement blogger who has never once worked no set or with talent etc. If you want to live your life in fear of others then be my guest. I tend to say things online I would say to peoples faces. If I have an opinion I stand by it publicly and if I am unwilling to I have to examine why that is. I guess thats how I was raised so I don't need an alter ego online to hide behind. If you are asking others to value your opinion it needs to be given weight. Experience in the real world should be valued more than a post count.
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #87
    Senior Member Liam Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Worldwide
    Posts
    3,406
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    If you're accusing someone of theft, you ought to name your sources.

    Or your real name would be subject to a defamation suit. In the UK.
    Ask the boys at Newsshooter how they feel about sites like NoFilmSchool.
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

    www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #88
    Senior Member Ben Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,467
    Default
    EDIT: Oh ffs quoted wrong person.

    EDIT EDIT: No I didn't and now I deleted it by accident agh!

    In summary the post went something something something your post calling those who have a different opinion idiots and boneheads etc is a walking argument against anonymity and completely at odds with your past last year re:

    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post

    I suppose the biggest factor in my reaction is the fact that I tend to see arguments and opinions more purely on an intellectual plane. But if someone thinks that when you express a different view, it is an *attack* on them it can spiral into a quarrel instead of an argument and it all goes into tangents. That's why I so often urge people to focus on the argument - and as vigorously as possible - and not on the person who makes the argument.
    Last edited by Ben Scott; 03-03-2021 at 12:52 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------


    My reel

    Website
    Instagram
    The Dots profile
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #89
    Senior Member Ben Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,467
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by FrameFarmMedia View Post
    Thats the point. I want truth and honesty not something of consequence or controversial. Factual information and experience is what I am after not an argument. I want to know if the person pushing a product works for that product or for a competing product. Or has even used the product. Without anything to back up your listed experience you could just as easily be a basement blogger who has never once worked no set or with talent etc. If you want to live your life in fear of others then be my guest. I tend to say things online I would say to peoples faces. If I have an opinion I stand by it publicly and if I am unwilling to I have to examine why that is. I guess thats how I was raised so I don't need an alter ego online to hide behind. If you are asking others to value your opinion it needs to be given weight. Experience in the real world should be valued more than a post count.
    EXACTLY. There's no cutoff where real life personality stops and online alias takes over. It's all the same thing and I comport myself identically and without fear of 'The Man' about to come crashing down on me. It has never stopped me speaking my mind whenever I have felt the need.
    ----------------------------------------------------------


    My reel

    Website
    Instagram
    The Dots profile
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #90
    Senior Member Liam Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Worldwide
    Posts
    3,406
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    The “real names” idea strikes me as plainly stupid. I would vote against it.

    Do we all get a vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    And if it were implemented, I would quit this site immediately
    That would be a shame. I like your rather crotchety, occasionally self-indulgent and often overly long posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    and I have been on this site since 2006 and have almost 3000 posts.
    JB had a tiny percentage of that amount, but each post was gold.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    A real name policy is a policy that will stifle any dissent or contrary opinion or unpopular opinion
    I use my real name and often pose contrary opinions.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    IF YOU WANT TO USE YOUR REAL NAME DO SO, BUT LEAVE THE OPTION FOR THOSE WHO DON’T. See? That way both can be accomodated.
    Fine, if you want to HIDE behind anonymity you should not have the same posting rights as people who are honest and transparent about who they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    Lack of anonymity will lead to bland, “safe” and uncontroversial posts. But mostly, it will lead to silence.
    Hmm... ...you're coming across a little passive-aggressive here. I'd like to think those of us who use our real names can write witty and insightful posts. Clearly, YMMV.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    In today’s climate you simply don’t know who will take offence
    I don't care who gets offended. As noted earlier, I care about honesty and transparency.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    Employers often ask for FB and Twitter accounts - as happens I am on neither, and never have been, not because of any other reason than it’s a time sink and I do not wish to waste time on those platforms. People are astounded that I don’t have such accounts. It’s “suspicious” - so what, should I start an Instagram or other platform accounts just to “perform socially” and post nothing but bunnies and cats and flowers, so a future employer won’t look at me suspiciously because I don’t have an FB account? Sorry, it’s dumb. It doesn’t lead to any “truth and safety”, it leads to “deception and self-preservation”, and mostly to silence and lies. Good going “real names” policy outcomes! Remember - unintended consequences.
    I often work for extremely sensitive clients, Governments, Royal Families etc. I have been warned numerous times to watch what I write on social media as MI5, the Secret Police or whoever will be tracking it. You know what, I don't care. I don't write racist, sexist, fascist, dickhead things. If I write some horrid s*%t that gets picked up in later years, well, tough.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    I cannot imagine the idiocy of someone who thinks anonymity is undesirable.
    This isn't Twitter. I get why whistleblowers need anonymity. This is a camera tech forum.
    Last edited by Liam Hall; 03-03-2021 at 01:28 PM.
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

    www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam
     

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •