Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    +1 And a better search option would be great.

2. Collapse Details
    OK while we're on potential improvements and perhaps have the ear of the hard working Mods, here's a few improvements I'd love to see:

1. As already mentioned, real names. But I accept from the discussion over the last day or so that there are two sides to that - so happy as it is if that's what people want.

2. Updating some of the forum sections, e.g. we still have one called PMW cameras (and Temp FS7 & FS5)!!!

3. Biggie this...but the forum is still HTTP. I went though the pain of updating my own website to HTTPS a couple of years back so I appreciate this is not easy (I managed it - but despite being highly technical it took me to the edge of my comfort zone). However, I think it will need doing sooner rather than later. Google etc. will increasingly penalise non-secure websites with lower and lower ranking (and who knows, at some point in the future might actually block them). In the meantime, if you're one of those silly people who uses the same password on everything from DVXUser to your bank account you might want to think about that...

4. Yes, if there is some way of improving the search function that would be really great.

Don't want this to come across as I'm dissatisfied with the forum - it's a great place. It's just that a few tweaks could make it even better.

3. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Thanks for the thoughts, Andy, although I could argue the “hard-working” bit.

Quote Originally Posted by andykwilkinson View Post
    OK while we're on potential improvements and perhaps have the ear of the hard working Mods, here's a few improvements I'd love to see:

1. As already mentioned, real names. But I accept from the discussion over the last day or so that there are two sides to that - so happy as it is if that's what people want.

2. Updating some of the forum sections, e.g. we still have one called PMW cameras (and Temp FS7 & FS5)!!!

3. Biggie this...but the forum is still HTTP. I went though the pain of updating my own website to HTTPS a couple of years back so I appreciate this is not easy (I managed it - but despite being highly technical it took me to the edge of my comfort zone). However, I think it will need doing sooner rather than later. Google etc. will increasingly penalise non-secure websites with lower and lower ranking (and who knows, at some point in the future might actually block them). In the meantime, if you're one of those silly people who uses the same password on everything from DVXUser to your bank account you might want to think about that...

4. Yes, if there is some way of improving the search function that would be really great.

Don't want this to come across as I'm dissatisfied with the forum - it's a great place. It's just that a few tweaks could make it even better.
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

4. Collapse Details
    One thing I've appreciated on other VBulletin forums is a better implementation of the "ignore" feature. Right now, when you come across an ignored user's post, it shows a large block of "This is hidden because [Screename] is on your ignore list", which is counterintuitive, and particularly annoying when multiple people that you have on ignore begin getting in exchanges with each other on threads.

I've seen two things on other forums that I like -- a global ignore, which I think is this: https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324296

and an option to keep ignored users from quoting the posts of people who have them on ignore: https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=325718 which can be a good way to curb irrelevant / trolling comments.

5. Collapse Details
    Stickies for popular subjects and newbie FAQs for each section would be great.

A forum I am on is mostly public and searchable but has a 'behind closed doors' section for things like politics and other off topic stuff which is private to members of the forum only and not Google searchable.

Global ignore would be incredible.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

My reel

Website
    Instagram
    The Dots profile

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    Real Names promotes a sense of real humans on the other end of a conversation and subsequently, of community. Frankly, if I don't know anything about the person I am speaking to I am very unlikely to take anything they have to say with much more than a pinch of salt.
    Exactly this. I think we have done a huge damage as society convincing people that their opinions are just as important as other who have more experience and knowledge. We see this across the internet and it sure hasn't made things better just adds uninformed noise. If you haven't used a piece of gear or have zero experience then please don't comment. To many friend of a friend said XYZ and people run with it as fact.

One of the best ways to not get found out saying trollish things when being vetted for work is to not say trollish things in the first place.
    This 100%. If you know your opinions are toxic and don't want your name associated to them then people need to reconsider why that is. A big part of me does get a kick out of when people expose themselves as being terrible people. That was the best part of facebook groups. I kept a list of companies or people I would never work with because of the way they conducted themselves in public. The answer isn't to hide their actions but to conduct themselves in a manor that people would want to work with.

7. Collapse Details
    if I don't know anything about the person I am speaking to
    1. Suppose you knew someone's name was Jacob Smith instead js1000. What does that tell you about the person you are speaking to?
    2. How do you handle the case when two users' real names are the same?
    3. How do you know that the person's "real name" is their real name?
    4. How do you know whether the person by that name is the same person you know elsewhere by that same name?

Some of these questions were asked yesterday and so far have been ignored. Instead the same lines just get repeated:

1. Real names curb insults
    2. Real names help you know who you're talking to
    3. Pseudonyms have no use but to tempt you into trolldom

But:

1. Although I have seen lots of harsh speech on the internet, I see less of it here. The most-common posters are people who have been here for years. For when things get out of hand, there are several moderators. In fact, this site may have the highest moderator-to-active-user ratio around (not that that is a bad thing, just unlike the examples you may be imagining, like the comments section of CNN).
    2. I see insulting or condescending language as much from people with real names as without.
    3. Others have said that it isn't about the freedom to say something naughty but that you can't trust others, like a current or prospective employer, to use it in the wrong way.
    4. The risk of meeting a dangerous person online is slim but real. Like I said before, it was on this forum that a member once said to another, "I want to kill you." This was for some mockery (that went a little too far but it wasn't any worse than what I have seen often in my years on this forum).

This is what was brewing when yesterday I gave up and said, you're making no sense. I tried a tactic to get it to stop. It didn't work. In fact I think it undermined my argument (that pseudonyms don't encourage bad behavior). I think it is weak evidence, though. You are welcome to click my username and click Find latest posts to search for anything like that I have said, going back years. Every once in a while I try the direct confrontation to try to shake someone up who I think is not even trying to engage with those who disagree. It doesn't work. I relearn my lesson and go back to my mild-mannered self. I'm sorry I distracted from the substance of the argument. I was trying to do the opposite. Again, obviously it failed, because the points are still unanswered.

They are slim scenarios. If using real names provided some real benefit, then it might be worth it. But I don't see how they provide any real benefit at all. And those bad things that have a slim chance of happening, still have a chance of happening. So it's easier to just not have to think about it, if there is no benefit in doing it the other way.

---

Also, although it has spurred some conversation, I'm curious original meaning of this thread really was, Liam. I am familiar with the phrase "jumped the shark" and still need to watch that episode of Happy Days. But it's ambiguous to me about what about DVXUser you had in mind as equivalent to it.
    Last edited by combatentropy; 03-03-2021 at 10:11 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    You can't legislate for people behaving nefariously or trying to bend or get around rules. All you can do is explain and promote how you'd like the place to work and hope people get it and get on board with it. It's not trying to change the world and bad people don't suddenly become good people overnight and we don't need a mid-90s hacking montage to show if you wanted to get around it you could.

I have my real name, my website, Insta and even bloody Linkedin links on here on my signature. Everything about me professionally is out there one click away. Every single person I interact with on here, if they have their info available I will check on it so I know who I am talking to and out of professional interest.

If there was already a Ben Scott on here, maybe I'd be Ben F Scott, or Ben Scott Small Rebellion Films etc etc. Or, and this is mental but if all the other options were exhausted, I know, call me crazy but hear me out.... Ben Scott2. Where there's a will there's a way.

My reel

Website
    Instagram
    The Dots profile

9. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    You should add your MySpace handle as well. ;)

You can't legislate for people behaving nefariously or trying to bend or get around rules. All you can do is explain and promote how you'd like the place to work and hope people get it and get on board with it. It's not trying to change the world and bad people don't suddenly become good people overnight and we don't need a mid-90s hacking montage to show if you wanted to get around it you could.

I have my real name, my website, Insta and even bloody Linkedin links on here on my signature. Everything about me professionally is out there one click away. Every single person I interact with on here, if they have their info available I will check on it so I know who I am talking to and out of professional interest.

If there was already a Ben Scott on here, maybe I'd be Ben F Scott, or Ben Scott Small Rebellion Films etc etc. Or, and this is mental but if all the other options were exhausted, I know, call me crazy but hear me out.... Ben Scott2. Where there's a will there's a way.
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
    You should add your MySpace handle as well. ;)
    Hahaha!

My reel

Website
    Instagram
    The Dots profile

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast