----------------------------------------------------------

My reels

Website
    Instagram
    Linkedin

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    Also what happened to John Beasley?
    That is the problem, the posts are gone, no one but the moderator knows.

What I know: it was an interesting meandering thread. My contribution was a post about Google, Microsoft and Amazon being powerfull monopolistst and how I tried to avoid to use their platforms. (whith Brave, Ecosia and open office). But I guess that isn't offensive or anti American or whatever.

The thread was one of the more interesting treads, slightly derailing and getting back on track again, as it shoul be.
    Last edited by Publimix; 03-03-2021 at 12:50 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    Lots of words, Ben. Zero sense.
    I read this post and simply thought ‘keyboard warrior.’ Insults should definitely be real names only. Maybe there should be restricted posting rights for those who wish to remain anonymous.
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Publimix View Post
    That is the problem, the posts are gone, no one but the moderator knows.

What I know: it was an interesting meandering thread. My contribution was a post about Google, Microsoft and Amazon being powerfull monopolistst and how I tried to avoid to use their platforms. (whith Brave, Ecosia and open office). But I guess that isn't offensive or anti American or whatever.

The thread was one of the more interesting treads, slightly derailing and getting back on track again, as it shoul be.

Stupid autocorrect. Pleased you knew who I meant.

My reels

Website
    Instagram
    Linkedin

5. Collapse Details
    Also what happened to John Brawley?
    Do you want the long answer or the short one?
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

6. Collapse Details
    Unless he's stuck on a BM 120k camera OLPF like General Zod in the Phantom Zone for forumming transgressions I'm not fussed to be honest

My reels

Website
    Instagram
    Linkedin

7. Collapse Details
    I like dvxuser a lot. But it'd be nice if we had a more diverse balance of membership and moderators, in my opinion.

I don't know of any women who post to the forum. (I suppose there could be, but the only people whose gender I know are male.) I know we work in a male-heavy industry, but there are lots of women working in it as well, perhaps even moreso among the younger generation. Why aren't they coming here?

To put it another way - if this were a brand marketing meeting, we'd be asking ourselves why we're performing so poorly among key demographics.

And the same goes for ethnic diversity. I had a conversation with a non-white colleague recently who was pretty turned off by some of the attitudes expressed on the forum and basically stopped coming here as a result. I think it's useful and important for people to be able to speak their mind, but I think it's also important to foster an inclusive and welcoming community and industry. It's important to acknowledge that one doesn't know what it's like to work in the industry as somebody else.

So, I wonder if we're not turning away huge numbers of people by not being friendly enough because there's a huge group of people who would enjoy and benefit from what this forum has to offer.

The moderators do a good job but seem a bit like-minded to me. If you look at how facebook has some sort of oversight and appeals infrastructure, I think it would benefit the forum to have a more diverse group of people and opinions weighing in on administrative decisions behind the scenes.

And regarding political topics - I'm not sure we're well-served by a blanket "politics" ban. So many "political" topics intersect with working in the film industry - such as covid restrictions on set or public covid policy that may prohibit filming altogether. And obviously diversity and diversity policies are important to consider both practically and philosophically.

I think that political discussions are good but fighting and insulting/demeaning is bad. It would require more effort on the part of the moderators, but it would be nice to have a discussion where the referees interfere only to break up a fight or penalize an aggressor and perhaps generally try to keep the conversation civil. That could potentially be an enriching experience for everyone, especially since the internet has balkanized into bubbles where one might rarely hear the opinions of people who disagree. But perhaps there should still be a ban against advocating for a specific politician.

So, perhaps I'm advocating for some rules changes and an expansion of the moderator pool?

In addition, I liked all of Liam Hall's ideas about enhanced networking and more means of interacting/mentoring, etc. I don't know if that's possible in the current format, but it's a nice idea. I will say that I've been to some facebook cinematographer groups and the organization is very thin. I actually really like the simple organization of dvxuser into topics and threads and how readily searchable the archive is using google. But if it's possible to add the functions Liam described, I'm all for it.

Ultimately, I think it's good to make dvxuser the most valuable and informative resource of its kind for filmmakers and to grow as large a membership of interesting and civil people as possible.
    Last edited by ahalpert; 03-03-2021 at 03:44 AM.
    www.VideoAbe.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    LOL NoFilmScool steal content from other creators on a daily basis and Iím happy to say so using my real name.
    If you're accusing someone of theft, you ought to name your sources.

Or your real name would be subject to a defamation suit. In the UK.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    If you're accusing someone of theft, you ought to name your sources.

Or your real name would be subject to a defamation suit. In the UK.
    I look forward to seeing them bring it.

Editor / Colourist / Educator and author Steve Hullfish can point you in the direction you seek. https://twitter.com/anti_churnalism

On their current front page

https://nofilmschool.com/summer-movies-2021 - Basically lifted from the LA Times.

This article on Soul - Basically says watch someone else's videos to make all its points and then 'we'll talk after' https://nofilmschool.com/soul-academy-awards

This is an article ripping the video made by The Auteurist on Tarantino speaking about Joker - https://nofilmschool.com/tarantino-joker-comments

You get the point....
    Last edited by Ben Scott; 03-03-2021 at 06:43 AM.

My reels

Website
    Instagram
    Linkedin

10. Collapse Details
    On a personal level, while I am absolutely happy to discuss gear/technique/best practice etc with newcomers what I don't enjoy quite so much is having very inexperienced people shouting off very loudly as if their opinions are cold hard fact because they once watched a Vishi Visuals or Gerald Undone video.

This place has always had a lot of people with very strong opinions about stuff they have never used and on jobs they have never done. It's great to find people you believe absolutely know their s*%t so even if you differ in opinion you absolutely respect where they are coming from and what leads them to certain decisions.

The single best thing about this place is the presence of those I would consider experts and their willingness to share.
    I still think that we should put a concerted effort into stickies, as they would be informative to lurkers who aren't members, alleviate the same questions being asked over and over again, and alleviate the issue of the inevitable jerk belittling newcomers novice questions, because the jerk inexplicably conflates ignorance with stupidity.

I didn't know much when I joined the forum, and a sticky on configuring Premiere project settings for 1440x1080 60i would have saved me countless hours of trial and error.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast