Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    All good points and I largely agree but being better than ResUser is a very low bar. I can’t remember the last time I posted in there.

Maybe it’s the format that needs to change, it seems dated. Camera tech changes fast. Social media changes fast. DVX not so much.
    Like the "look" of the forum or other aspects? I actually like the overall look, despite its age. The color palette is very easy to read and easy on the eyes. But I support exploring possible ways to improve the forum, for sure.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
    If we could, let’s keep the discussion focused on where we want this site to go in the future. Thanks!
    I must have been too subtle responding to a previous poster. So, I'll elaborate. There's a world outside of Hollywood and what plays well in Hollywood doesn't always play well in Peoria. Come to think of it, Hollywood itself doesn't play well in Peoria.

And I am saying that as a former resident of Hollywood.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Like the "look" of the forum or other aspects? I actually like the overall look, despite its age. The color palette is very easy to read and easy on the eyes. But I support exploring possible ways to improve the forum, for sure.
    The chat forum model has barely changed since the 1990s. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc didn’t even exist then but all provide more dynamic ways for people to interact.
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

4. Collapse Details
    God, you have a break for a couple of years and everyone goes mental on here.

My very limited interactions so far back on here it all feels a bit more like an anonymous youtube comments bin instead of that helpful community of likeminded souls but we'll see.
    Last edited by Ben Scott; 03-02-2021 at 06:07 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

My reel

Website
    Instagram
    The Dots profile

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    This board started out years ago, because of the low-end/prosumer digital gear that started opening up the industry and indie movement. It's safe to say that most people that were here then, were striving to climb the ladder with their work and equipment. And now they play with the big boy toys. Now, the industry is kind of regressing with "cheap gear" and the biggest, most active threads on gear on here involve the super-low priced gear. When was the last time there was a multi-page discussion on a real cine or broadcast zoom lens? And every few months you get, "What $200 tripod should I buy?" I'm not trying to be elitist or anything like that, because the industry has changed at all levels, but I can see why some of the old faces are gone or at least less active. They've outgrown so much of what goes on here, now.
    This is where I'm at.
    I don't find myself looking to DVX user for questions related to where I am at in the industry anymore. I still will read anything by Charles or JB though. Combined with camera and lighting tech that is nothing ground breaking but a building on from existing tech I have less questions about how it will be used in my tool box or how to get the best out of the equipment. Also since I joined DVX user there are so many other social media platforms that I can get answers from a carefully curated group of experts and collaborators. Maybe I'm getting old but I also don't remember the same number of pure trolling posts as when I first joined. Maybe its because I was coming for specific information instead of a general browse.

6. Collapse Details
    If we're losing people who've "out grown" the site, then perhaps we should try to attract people who are new to video.

Since the video DSLR revolution, photographers have started experimenting with the video features in their photography camera and branching out to shoot video for their clients, so that is the demographic that I suggest we begin with. DPReview added a video forum a few years ago, but there aren't very many serious video people on there, although John Brawley pops up from time to time. I've pointed people from DPReview to DVXUser, as they're more likely to get a useful video related answer here than on DPReview.

I think we should have a new-to-video section with stickies that guide people through the basics. Perhaps we could get some volunteers to collaborate on writing the stickies.

This site has become a general video forum, but given the name, most people would assume it's for a specific camera range. I don't really want to change the name, I suppose out of nostalgia, but a more general video name might prevent people from writing this site off.

P.S. There are a lot of good archived threads, but I've never had much success with the search engine, even when using the advanced search options. I've found that it works better to type "site:dvxuer.com" into Google, followed by my question.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Imamacuser View Post
    If we're losing people who've "out grown" the site, then perhaps we should try to attract people who are new to video.

Since the video DSLR revolution, photographers have started experimenting with the video features in their photography camera and branching out to shoot video for their clients, so that is the demographic that I suggest we begin with. DPReview added a video forum a few years ago, but there aren't very many serious video people on there, although John Brawley pops up from time to time. I've pointed people from DPReview to DVXUser, as they're more likely to get a useful video related answer here than on DPReview.

I think we should have a new-to-video section with stickies that guide people through the basics. Perhaps we could get some volunteers to collaborate on writing the stickies.

This site has become a general video forum, but given the name, most people would assume it's for a specific camera range. I don't really want to change the name, I suppose out of nostalgia, but a more general video name might prevent people from writing this site off.

P.S. There are a lot of good archived threads, but I've never had much success with the search engine, even when using the advanced search options. I've found that it works better to type "site:dvxuer.com" into Google, followed by my question.

They couldn't even get a dedicated FS7 sub-forum here, just a temp one when it was the most used camera in the world. Good luck initiating a website namechange

On a personal level, while I am absolutely happy to discuss gear/technique/best practice etc with newcomers what I don't enjoy quite so much is having very inexperienced people shouting off very loudly as if their opinions are cold hard fact because they once watched a Vishi Visuals or Gerald Undone video.

This place has always had a lot of people with very strong opinions about stuff they have never used and on jobs they have never done. It's great to find people you believe absolutely know their s*%t so even if you differ in opinion you absolutely respect where they are coming from and what leads them to certain decisions.

The single best thing about this place is the presence of those I would consider experts and their willingness to share.

Would 100% make it a real names forum.

My reel

Website
    Instagram
    The Dots profile

8. Collapse Details
    You nailed it Ben!

I think a lot of the internet would be better with less anonymity. Yes I get the irony of myself using my old production company name which hasn't operated in years but its a pain to campaign for a name change. Oh that FS7 sub section was humming when that camera launched.

I wonder if format wise the facebook group has killed the web forum. I personally deleted facebook last April so these web forums are still possibly a great resource.

9. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Still following and listening. Thanks again for the feedback!
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by FrameFarmMedia View Post
    You nailed it Ben!

I think a lot of the internet would be better with less anonymity. Yes I get the irony of myself using my old production company name which hasn't operated in years but its a pain to campaign for a name change. Oh that FS7 sub section was humming when that camera launched.

I wonder if format wise the facebook group has killed the web forum. I personally deleted facebook last April so these web forums are still possibly a great resource.
    Yep I deleted FB about 3 months ago so those avenues are closed to me. I think company names are allowed!

My reel

Website
    Instagram
    The Dots profile

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast