1. Collapse Details
    Advice please for mic to stick on cold shoe DSLR for family life
    Hi folks,

I have lav mics and stuff for work but I want to shoot more of just everyday family life and I donít think my 3-year old is gonna like a lav 🤣

I just donít want the really crappy sound that comes out of the camera.

Any ideas please? I was wondering about a Zoom HN4 or similar mounted just cos itíd be really flexible but I really donít know what Iím doing and as subjects wonít necessarily be very close, I need something thatíll work outside and pick subjects up from all directions and distances.

Grateful for any help, thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    Rode on-camera microphones usually lead the way in terms of worldwide popularity. There are different models...a pro version would be the best if it’s in your budget.

Check out some samples on YouTube. And even comparisons to cheaper alternatives.

Here’s one of my favorites: https://www.adorama.com/rdvmntg.html

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks NorBro!

4. Collapse Details
    Just keep in mind the microphone above (and in general) is a super-cardioid that works best with sounds in front of it. It will definitely capture sounds from the sides, but just saying.

For everyday family life the camera is usually swinging around in all directions anyway so wouldn't be much of an issue.

5. Collapse Details
    Maybe also check out the camera mics from Deity. Haven't used them myself, though:

https://deitymic.com/video-microphones/
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

6. Collapse Details
    I have a Deity D3pro that I use on my GH5. The gain knob is great, as is the ability to connect via 3.5mm and XLR using the adapter. The adjustable mic mount is also tremendously helpful for positioning the mic so that my forehead doesn’t bump into it when using the VF. It may be overkill for your use, in that case check out the regular D3. I believe its about 100 bucks cheaper but loses some of the features. It’s also a bit shorter, which is a good thing IMO.