Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks for starting this thread Ben!

I'm US-based (Wisconsin for the past 7ish years). My day-to-day work is for a tiny sports media company that focuses on Olympic weightlifting. Otherwise I occasionally do freelance work (corporate, concert recordings, etc) and (pre-pandemic) some narrative stuff for fun. To keep myself in practice shooting things (and just because I enjoy shooting) I've been doing some nature filming recently—mostly birds, but I'm hoping to catch a fox or coyote on camera at some point. I do about 90% of my editing in FCPX; the rest is Resolve. For color I really, really prefer Resolve, but I can't deny that editing with FCPX is so much faster than anything else.

Before the FX6 the Fs5 was my main camera for a little over three years. I still have the Fs5, along with my very first video camera (the original BMPCC) and a Sony EX1 that I bought for cheap a couple years ago out of curiosity and interest in some of the early HD cameras.

Other cameras I've owned include the Panasonic GH5, GH5s, Sony a7S, Sony NX80, and BMPCC4K. They all had their pros and cons but none was as easy to use (for me and my work) as the Fs5, although they were all fine as B or C cameras.

Moving forward I'll probably hold on to the Fs5 as a B camera to the FX6. Once regular competitions pick up again it may make sense to add something small and light like an a7s3 or a6000-series camera, but for the moment I'm enjoying just learning the FX6.

So far the camera is exactly what I'd hoped for: a better, more fully-featured Fs5 that draws from the best of the FS7

That said, there are always quirks and kinks to work out: e.g., I recently thought my gyro stabilization was broken because a whole series of clips I'd shot kept returning the error "this clip does not contain sufficient metadata for stabilization" in Catalyst Browse, until I remembered that SteadyShot and gyro stabilization can't be used together...

But otherwise I'm thrilled with the camera; I find the ergonomics to be great and the images it's producing to be fantastic.

IMG_6933.jpg

2. Collapse Details
    Very interesting. Would be great if the gyro data could be read by something other than Catalyst.

I keep meaning to go shoot (with a camera!) some deer in a local park but with a 3 year old kid I treasure my sleep!

What's the baseplate you are using there?
    ----------------------------------------------------------

My reel

Website
    Instagram
    The Dots profile

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    What's the baseplate you are using there?
    It's just a cheap SmallRig baseplate that I originally bought for the Fs5. I'm not crazy about it but it works and has held up very well. If I want to use rods and lens support the only other option I have is a shoulder rig / VCT combo that adds so much unnecessary weight if I'm not actually doing shoulder-mounted shooting. What I'd like to find is a nice, (relatively) lightweight baseplate that allows me to use rods and a tripod plate (i.e., so I can quickly remove the camera from the baseplate and set it straight on a tripod, as I can with my shoulder rig plate).

And yeah, I'm hoping for gyro data implementation in FCPX or Resolve soon...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by drboffa View Post
    It's just a cheap SmallRig baseplate that I originally bought for the Fs5. I'm not crazy about it but it works and has held up very well. If I want to use rods and lens support the only other option I have is a shoulder rig / VCT combo that adds so much unnecessary weight if I'm not actually doing shoulder-mounted shooting. What I'd like to find is a nice, (relatively) lightweight baseplate that allows me to use rods and a tripod plate (i.e., so I can quickly remove the camera from the baseplate and set it straight on a tripod, as I can with my shoulder rig plate).

And yeah, I'm hoping for gyro data implementation in FCPX or Resolve soon...
    The Wooden Camera does this (I think) and the upcoming Smallrig one.

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-pr...-fx6-3225.html

My reel

Website
    Instagram
    The Dots profile

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Good to know! The SmallRig stuff looks pretty interesting and might be exactly what I'm looking for. The Wooden Camera stuff looks great but for my work it's probably overkill (at least at those prices). Their baseplate is appealing, though.

6. Collapse Details
    I suspect this camera will hit a sweet spot and be the new FS7, ie really popular, and so we can look forward to quite a range of gear to choose from.

7. Collapse Details
    This is madness. How in a world do I keep center marker, aspect marker on the camera's LCD monitor while getting rid of all the other display info? As soon as I press "Display" everything disappears together with the crosshairs and aspect ratio masks. Is it really not possible to keep just these??

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by broughtonfilm View Post
    This is madness. How in a world do I keep center marker, aspect marker on the camera's LCD monitor while getting rid of all the other display info? As soon as I press "Display" everything disappears together with the crosshairs and aspect ratio masks. Is it really not possible to keep just these??
    I don't have my FX6 in front of me right now, but in the menus there is a setting that allows you to choose what you want displayed and what you don't. It's a long list of options too so you can have complete control over what is on your display.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Milligan View Post
    I don't have my FX6 in front of me right now, but in the menus there is a setting that allows you to choose what you want displayed and what you don't. It's a long list of options too so you can have complete control over what is on your display.
    Oh, I know that. But that's not practical. I want to be able to toggle between seeing just the markers (center marker, aspect masks, safety zone, etc, etc) and full display of info. This was possible on FS7, the markers would not go away when you hit the "Display". The implementation of it now makes zero sense. When the marker is ON the camera should keep it displayed on LCD regardless of the whether "Display" is ON/OFF.

10. Collapse Details
    I sidestep all that silliness with an Atomos Ninja V. Never for recording but it's an excellent monitor.

My reel

Website
    Instagram
    The Dots profile

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast