Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    that's the thing - some "political" discussions are pretty central to the film business. maybe the rule should be don't advocate for a specific politician. or maybe the rule should just be no ad hominem attacks on other posters. personally, I find it much more objectionable when someone on twitter says, "you're stupid for saying x" instead of saying "x is a stupid thing to say" or better yet just saying "that is an incorrect thing to say". just the manners i was taught growing up i guess that you don't call someone else stupid

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    ... A permanent ban is sometimes necessary. For example, I once saw a member say he wanted to kill another one.
    On that sports site, there was one Oklahoma based member, posting under his real name. He also wrote for a different site under the same name. And he often went into a Don Rickles mode with other posters. He was often funny but quite often stepped over the edge. Once he insulted someone from Texas, who threatened to drive to Oklahoma - neighboring states after all - and show him what's what. That was the last time the guy used his real name. He changed it to a moniker most often associated with the legendary comedian.

3. Collapse Details
    Brawley and Papert bring value to the board as they are 'working DP' - loss of either would be bad news

4. Collapse Details
    I know the forum's not a democracy, but I vote (in the invisible ballot box) to please reinstate JB (just now learned he was banned).
    To reiterate, a wealth of knowledge at a high level, a valuable asset to the community.
    A few warning shots across the bow would be preferable...

5. Collapse Details
    I agree with the general sentiments that JB should not be banned. I was discussing in the deleted diversity thread and disagreed with a lot of what JB was saying, I also found some of his posts offensive (what is the difference between disagreeing and finding something offensive?) However JB was not trying to offend. As a friend of mine often says "This is a free democracy. You have the right to be offended. Now poo poo Off!" (even that comment has been censored)
    As others have said a ban for a period (days/weeks) is fine (with an explication) but outright ban is not.
    The greater offense was deleting the thread. 99% of it was a fascinating discussion on diversity.
    This brings me to another point.

There is a problem with the no politics rule. This forum is very much international yet the rules on politics are from a very narrow US view point that many will not understand. This was clear in the diversity thread on the very different culture on race, gender, sexual orientation on the opposite sides of the pond. The best way to illustrate this is to see any clips of the Graham Norton Show when they have new US celebrities on it. Note the GNS is a free to view over the air broad cast on the BBC. All be it late evening.

Please reinstate the diversity thread (less the final posts that killed it) and reinstate JB even if I think he is wrong I will fight to the death to protect his right to say it. Lets face it if starting an insurrection is not a banable offense a few posts on here certainly should not be.
    Last edited by JAMedia; 02-27-2021 at 02:54 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Add me to the list of people who think permanent bans should be earned over time with multiple offenses.
    If you are spoiling the experience for people regularly, forever begone! But if you cross the line twice or thrice a year, a slap of the hand should do the trick.

Also, add me to the people who do not necessarily agree with a lot of what JB says, but who appreciate his contributions.

7. Collapse Details
    The trouble is we only see the outcome, not what went into making it. Personally, my view with all things forums is that the moderators and admin folk are the ONLY ones who know what happened, so while we can react, our viewpoint is flawed.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    The trouble is we only see the outcome, not what went into making it. Personally, my view with all things forums is that the moderators and admin folk are the ONLY ones who know what happened, so while we can react, our viewpoint is flawed.
    Nevertheless, I valued JB's contributions. Maybe he committed a great offense I'm not aware of, but based on what I know of his political postings which violated forum policies, on the balance I think he was a positive influence on the conversation here

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    This is essentially a correct observation. For the most part, permanent bans are automatically applied to any commercial spamming. This usually is evidenced by foreign language spam attempts that many users report immediately.

Other permanent bans are for cumulative activity that occur both on line and through interaction with a moderator or administrator through repeated personal messages.

Our Forum Guidelines are direct and, for the most part, unambiguous. They apply equally to all members irrespective of length of membership, contributions, etc.

Here is a representative email I received by a member who was posting in the Marketplace. I sent four polite messages to the member requesting that he follow our Guidelines for posting:

You know you really are one sad little man. You actually have the time to sit around on your old, fat ass poo pooing with people's ads?? I just tried to sell a simple camera and you acted like a little kid who got picked on in school and never let it go, then were given some power" and now you poO poO with people just for fun or because they dont follow some childish rules??

I s*%t bigger than you you useless faggot.

By the way, I'll simply rejoin here under a different name and IP address and sell whatever the DOO poo I want to. Too bad you get to hide behind your little screen and aren't out in the real world working on REAL THINGS and dealing with real people instead of a bunch of computer related bulls*%t, forgotten, useless blogs, articles, forums and whatever else it is that poo poos like you get your little faggot rocks off to.

BYE BYE cocksucker.
    Followed up with this parting move by the same member:

He just changed his email on the control panel to:

DavidSaracenoIsAFaggot @ fags.com
    Despite expressing a willingness to work with him about getting sales thread done correctly, and it didn't matter.

This message is just a sample of some of the interaction that occurs with the mods by personal message. Other messages received by other mods are far worse.

Our moderators are unpaid volunteers. What they are subjected to both in the threads and more profoundly by personal message is not shared with other members.

Many factors go into a decision to ban permanently. And this information is not shared beyond the moderators.

Thank you to all members who have posted here and for your contributions. We appreciate the feedback.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

10. Collapse Details
    yikes David, that's so horrible. thank you for absorbing abuse on our behalf.

but isn't it possible that political rants are a lower category of offense than verbal abuse?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast