Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    When all the brick and mortar are gone, we may realize just how much we missed wandering these museums of products with a bunch of geeks to point us in the right direction. I'll be telling my kids about it someday and they'll look at me like I used to look at my dad talking about an 8 track tape.
    Yep. I remember doing that with Best Buy, probably 15 years ago. And one of the large computer warehouse stores in the mid-late 90's/early 00's. It's kind of like having an actual magazine instead of reading something on-line. Sometimes it's just a better way to do it. And sometimes you find something you weren't even looking for, but is that thing that's a game changer, and you would have never seen it otherwise.

2. Collapse Details
    Loved going to Frys back in the day, but not surprised. In my last couple visits to LA I went and the Burbank store was deserted, with half empty shelves, and this was before the pandemic. Shocked they didn't successfully transition to online sales. They had the warehouse space, wouldn't have taken much to compete with other online retailers that put them out of business.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

3. Collapse Details
    My local, pretty big camera shop went out of business before the pandemic.

Competition seems so brutal...just a grind to get by now I imagine versus easily selling a few trucks of $75K betacams back-in-the-day.

4. Collapse Details
    I spent so much time at Frys, especially the Alien Crash land Burbank store. Even our local up here in Oxnard was a cool store although
    it was missing a good theme. I have bought hundreds of thousands of dollars from them over the years, a lot of our appliances, stacks of
    hard drives, RAM, presents, Apple Accessories, even an Estes Model Rocket for my son when he was kid.

Going to miss that place, but it is inevitable, brick & mortar is on it's last leg and there is nothing any of us can do about it because more people
    value "the cheapest" than value an in-person, hands-on shopping experience. I wonder how much longer the Costcos and Best Buys will be around?
    Amazon pretty much is swallowing all retail.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    Thankfully down in OC we have MicroCenter. The “mini” Frys.

6. Collapse Details
    It's happening everywhere. I remember, when I was in the UK going to a store called Jessops. Huge place, packed with great gear at all levels. Went bust maybe ten years ago. And then there's Yodobashi Camera in Japan. They had a massive place in Sendai and many other cities. They're still there but now selling mostly consumer gear alongside vacuum cleaners, etc. Sad but inevitable.
    Last edited by stewhem; 02-25-2021 at 01:10 AM. Reason: typo

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by soarprod View Post
    Thankfully down in OC we have MicroCenter. The “mini” Frys.
    For the time being...how much longer?

8. Collapse Details
    Every time I go there they are very busy. Between the custom gaming rigs and simple live streaming, equipment is flying off the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    For the time being...how much longer?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by soarprod View Post
    Every time I go there they are very busy. Between the custom gaming rigs and simple live streaming, equipment is flying off the shelves.
    Hopefully their management structure and business finances are good. Selling a lot of merchandise (I used to manage Circuit City stores in thge 80s) is meaningless if your margins suck and the corporate infrastructure are morons.
    That's my take on retail. Moving merch is just the very first building block to surviving and just a small part of longevity or success, especially in low margin electronics. Being diversified, agile and proactive are just as important. Retail
    is dying rapidly, and competing with Amazon is pointless at this time so how can they survive for the next five years? I hope they do, really hope they do but the prognosis is grim.

10. Collapse Details
    I also wonder if Amazon will buy out any surviving retail giants that fit its model - IE Costco acquired by Amazon? Costco membership becomes a prime membership. Best Buy’s become Amazon stores for key products that people tend to want to demo with online shopping kiosks. All being used as return hubs?

I don’t think one player monopolizing retail is a good trajectory.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast