Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Maybe the recording feature will not be available in the US like the Lectro recording Tx. Though I see it will soon be available from B&H in NYC (part of the USA.. or at least it used to be).
    The 600 Ft range is intriguing as well.
    Yeah, I can confirm BH is in the US. Last time I went there they didn't check my passport on the subway ;)

2. Collapse Details
    SF, let us know how the system works for you. I'm especially interested in range when running a lav to a transmitter attached behind the talent so the signal has to pass through the body.

Thanks for being the first to dive into the pool!
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    ^ Will do.

4. Collapse Details
    Regarding the patent looks like the device has the built in ability to record but must be activated by their app and a future firmware release. Which means they're going to test how much push back they'll get from Zaxcom or wasn't that patent due to expire.

From a review about recording..."these features have to be turned on proactively in the Rode Central app, which Rode will also use to deliver future firmware updates"

I've seen reviews of the first version and it seems more susceptible to dropouts when line of sight is broken. I'm guessing in order to operate that long with a builtin battery and being that small the transition strength is lower. Probably fine for normal interview/talking head situations.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 02-23-2021 at 10:01 AM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    The software Rode Central app is out now, and looking at Rode's product page and press release, they don't mention TX recording being an upcoming feature. OTOH, Rode says the TX can "store over 24 hours of compressed audio and seven hours of compressed audio." So perhaps they still need to do a bit of editing to get everything up to date. ;-) Will be interesting to see how the whole Zaxcom-patent issue works out.
    https://www.rode.com/microphones/wireless/wirelessgoii

If I remember correctly, the TX one of the earlier Rode wireless systems put out something like 10mW. That information was hard to find...same as finding the output of the GO II TX (which I don't see). A few years ago, the general rule was that for a given transmission power, wireless mic systems operating at 2.4GHz had less than half the range of wireless mic systems operating in UHF (~470MHz - 600MHz and shrinking fast). But 2.4GHz tech has advanced pretty quickly, so maybe these will work as long as the TX is within 50-feet of the RX, which would be just fine most of the time.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

6. Collapse Details
    Confused because Rode tech support says no 32 bit recording, but BH is saying it's 32 bit recording to the receiver via Rode app:

"Does this record 32-bit float files directly to the transmitters like a Zoom F2 or Tentacle Sync?1 ANSWERAsked by Nathan on Feb 23, 2021

Yes it does. Using the Free Rode app you can record the files recorded on the transmitters in 32 bit float. It records on a continues loop. As the internal memory is full it will continue recording by overwriting the oldest file."

I'm assuming Rode would know better. In any case should receive and test in a day or two.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Regarding the patent, Rode is likely a much bigger company with more cash to burn in court. It could be fun. Maybe they are paying a licensing fee to Zaxcom. Maybe the fact that it is recorded internally and not on an SD card gets around the Zaxcom claims.

What magic does Rode have that they can get such distances out of a well-known technology with no external antenna (assuming you are operating with the internal mic) while no one else does it?
    Last edited by Paul F; 02-23-2021 at 11:21 AM.
    Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

8. Collapse Details
    Based on the inexpensive tiny 32-bit recorders from Zoom and Tentacle, I'll guess there's an inexpensive chip (or collection of chips) that'll do 32-bit recording with a low power draw. And the people at Rode aren't dumb; so ya, I could see 32-bit recording being in there. But you'll probably have the units before there's solid info on the net.

Thanks for diving in! (Did I already say that?)
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Regarding the patent, Rode is likely a much bigger company with more cash to burn in court. It could be fun. Maybe they are paying a licensing fee to Zaxcom. Maybe the fact that it is recorded internally and not on an SD card gets around the Zaxcom claims.
    I suspect it is either lack of SD card or the fact that recording is not initiated by the receiver, but an app. This is even more thoughtfully designed than Zaxcom products. The fact that you can set it up to automatically record whenever transmitting and as soon as it is filled up, it starts recording over old files. That's genius and exactly what a backup recording should do. THat means I never need to download files unless I have dropout. It's basically a 7hr buffer of audio. It just goes to show you how much innovation Zaxcom has single-handedly killed in audio. No sympathy. Live by a technicality, die by a technicality.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post

What magic does Rode have that they can get such distances out of a well-known technology with no external antenna (assuming you are operating with the internal mic) while no one else does it?
    I asked the Rode tech rep if they were worried about the Zax patent and he hadn't even heard of Zaxcom ;)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast