Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    @Roland. So I read your comments on Newsshooter, especially your conversation with Maddin. I tried his "microwave test", putting the TX unit in my microwave so it loses signal, and guess what -- the TX stops recording. This completely defeats the purpose of a backup recording function on a wireless unit. Is this a fixable bug or the real reason that Rode was able to "get around" Zaxcom's patent? Thoughts?

https://www.newsshooter.com/2021/03/...-new-firmware/
    Glad you have tried similar tests. I have no interest in the speculation about US patents, but cannot see why this would explain the different behaviour in compressed and uncompressed modes: obviously, what is currently possible with the compressed audio (i.e. much more resilience to major loss of signal, with the TX continuing recording in my tests) seems to be what should apply to the uncompressed audio too.

Cheers,

Roland

2. Collapse Details
    Given that the way round the three currently identified bugs in the Rode Wireless GO ii seems to apply to the uncompressed audio recordings on the TX units only, this means that using the compressed audio option is the best workaround until Rode provide a fix. So with that in mind, I have added a test of the compressed audio quality to my tests (with downloads) so you can hear the difference with a high-quality sound source: https://drbadphil.com/testing-the-ne...wireless-go-ii

The compressed sound quality isn't that bad at all, although it goes against the grain to record any audio with lossy compression.

Cheers,

Roland

3. Collapse Details
    OK,so I tested it again with compressed audio setting on the TX backup recording and it continued to record despite losing signal completely (in the microwave). But for some reason the backup recording icon on the RX turns off despite the fact that it's actually recording. Buggy...
    Not sure that is actually a bug: when the signal is lost the RX has no idea what the TX is doing - it might be switched off, run out of battery, fallen in the water etc. - so can hardly say that the TX unit is still recording. But glad that you too found the compressed audio continued fine.

Cheers,

R

4. Collapse Details
    Yes, but it would appear that the TX would stop recording (in uncompressed mode currently) in the event of a disconnect or extended dropout -- which is exactly what the backup recording function is designed to address, no?
    The difference is a dropout would mean they’re connected but you’re losing bits of the signal and momentarily gap in the audio or it’s garbled, like when talking on a mobile phone with bad reception. So if you’re in a middle of a take and you lose a word or two you can recover without re recording.

5. Collapse Details
    ^ Got it. But still not sure why it would continue recording in one mode and not the other if it wasn't designed to do so at all...

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    The difference is a dropout would mean they’re connected but you’re losing bits of the signal or getting bursts of noise. Like when talking on a mobile phone with bad reception. So if you’re in a middle of a take and you lose a word or two you can recover without re recording.
    Hmm Peter, I'm with scorsesefan on this: you can't be wondering how bad/long a dropout is and whether the TX recorder will stop or not. Anyway, it works perfectly with the compressed audio mode at the moment, and it just needs fixing so the uncompressed audio mode does the same.

Cheers,

Roland

7. Collapse Details
    ^ Got it. But still not sure why it would continue recording in one mode and not the other if it wasn't designed to do so at all...
    Exactly. R

8. Collapse Details
    That is weird but maybe it’s because in compressed mode it keeps recording because the record time is so huge. So are you saying in compress mode it keeps recording even when the connection is broken?

9. Collapse Details
    So are you saying in compress mode it keeps recording even when the connection is broken?
    YES!!! And this is what we want. R

10. Collapse Details
    That makes sense because the literature says it only records when the transmitter and receiver are connected. Itís designed for dropouts not as a stand alone digital recorder. Besides I canít imagine youíd want it recording when the camera is no longer receiving audio.
    Thatís exactly when you want it recording. Hits, dropouts, interference, complete signal loss. If I have a localized back-up recording I want it to record until I tell it to stop. Otherwise, whatís the point?

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast