Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    If you ever need a patent lawyer, call Zaxcom for referrals.
    No $h!t... Lol.

2. Collapse Details
    Filmguy's thread on this topic has been merged with this one started earlier by scorsesefan.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

3. Collapse Details
    Bless you David. May you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. (stolen from John Wayne in some western). All is now well in my world.
    Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Bless you David. May you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. (stolen from John Wayne in some western). All is now well in my world.
    Plus we saved Paul an early arrival in heaven... heart attack avoided! May you now live in peace.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
    Most of the negative reviews I've read relate to lose of signal when not facing the receiver.
    I believe you, but --

Isn't 2.4Ghz just wifi? Wifi sure doesn't need line of sight

I really like that this could give me a tiny wireless receiver for 2 mics with trs output for a mirrorless camera. That is very nifty, even before we talk about the backup recordings

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I interpret as it records 24bit but allows export as 32bit as an option but I canít conceive of a benefit to doing that.

Iím curious how they got around Zaxcom patent of recording while transmitting.
    Because Zaxcom's patent doesn't cover 2.4Ghz Wireless so I've been informed. Locally I was told there is no restriction on recording and transmitting simultaneously over WiFi as it comes under "Streaming". Interesting to see if that argument holds water. I highly doubt Rode would have gone down that path if there were any adverse legal ramifications. Just ordered a set 'cos at that price if it all works what's to lose?

Chris Young.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Because Zaxcom's patent doesn't cover 2.4Ghz Wireless so I've been informed. Locally I was told there is no restriction on recording and transmitting simultaneously over WiFi as it comes under "Streaming". Interesting to see if that argument holds water. I highly doubt Rode would have gone down that path if there were any adverse legal ramifications. Just ordered a set 'cos at that price if it all works what's to lose?
    Chris Young.
    The Zaxcom patent is only valid in the USA. I doubt it would hold water anywhere outside the USA especially as there are multiple manufacturers already doing it and AFAIK Zaxcom has not tried to patent outside the USA. It wiil be interesting to see if Rode sells them in the USA.
    Last edited by JAMedia; 02-24-2021 at 03:18 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Wifi is affected by walls etc. and, from personal experience (and plenty of viewable tests online) the original Rode Wireless Go was affected significantly if the transmitter was worn on the rear of a person: obviously this new model has a greater range, but I would be extremely surprised if there isn't a similar impact when blocked from line of sight by the body of the talent (how much will depend on distance). Which is where the on-board recording comes into its own.

I really like that this could give me a tiny wireless receiver for 2 mics with trs output for a mirrorless camera. That is very nifty, even before we talk about the backup recordings
    Well, it's very easy to do this with a pair of the mk 1 Wireless Gos and a simple Y-cable: though, obviously, the new version is much more attractive, and still smaller (in terms of a single receiver for two channels).

I'll be ordering.

Cheers,

Roland

9. Collapse Details
    I believe you, but --

Power, my man. Power. Most home WiFi systems are running at at least 10x the power of the Rode’s(at least the first gen’s)(100mW vs. 10mW). And in commercial settings there are multiple units all over a building. Heck, even in my one story house, I have a main wireless router in my office, kind of in the middle of the house, and two repeaters to make sure I have a strong signal everywhere.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMedia View Post
    The Zaxcom patent is only valid in the USA. I doubt it would hold water anywhere outside the USA especially as there are multiple manufacturers already doing it and AFAIK Zaxcom has not tried to patent outside the USA. It wiil be interesting to see if Rode sells them in the USA.
    B&H started selling them yesterday. But interestingly enough, I don’t believe they are shipping with the ability to simultaneously transmit and record. Supposedly that will come with a later firmware update. Now this opens up theories and speculations, at least on my part. Maybe that is what is allowing them to legally be sold in the US right now while they figure the patent thing out, if it hasn’t already been taken care of by other means(the design itself gets around it or they came to an agreement with Zax). And if they can’t get around it, they just never activate the feature in the US(but nothing is stopping someone from using firmware from another (non-US) region).

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast