Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    I may have seen something that reported wrong. Looks like you can export in 32-bit float but not record in 32-bit float, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?
    The only real benefit of 32-bit float is during recording. I have no idea why you would record in a lower bit rate and then create a 32-bit float file.

2. Collapse Details
    Most of the negative reviews I've read relate to lose of signal when not facing the receiver.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

3. Collapse Details
    Ya, those DNB numbers could be way off, especially for Zaxcom, and perhaps also for Sound Devices, Lectro, and others. But coarsely, I think this is likely:

Teac/Tascam - didn't care enough to fight to the death over one feature in a niche product for them. Not worth a protracted legal battle.

Lectrosonics- While bigger than Zaxcom, is a direct competitor (unlike Tascam and Rode) and makes almost all their revenue from wireless systems (unlike Tascam and Rode), so a legal battle could be long and have really serious risks for whomever doesn't prevail. And Zaxcom probably wouldn't want to license their patent to Lectro (or would set the price so high that Lectro wouldn't want it).

Audio Ltd (owned by Sound Devices) - has recording transmitters, but not in the US. I'd guess they think a legal battle wouldn't necessarily go their way, or even if they did win, the cost would be higher than what they'd gain in extra sales in the US.

Rode- No matter what the actual numbers, they're way bigger than Zaxcom. And unlike Tascam, wireless features matter to them. And unlike Lectro and Audio Ltd, they don't directly compete with Zaxcom. So perhaps Rode can afford to fight...or as I said perhaps they can afford to make a licensing deal with Zaxcom that Zaxcom is more willing to accept than they would from Lectro et al since Rode isn't a direct competitor. Perhaps sort of like Rode did with Rycote for their Lyre suspensions...

Zaxcom- whatever their actual revenue, that patent (and their other patents) really really matters. So it makes sense for them to vigorously defend it.

Deity- No idea how they'll fit in and what they'll do. They're in an interesting position, I think...
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
    Most of the negative reviews I've read relate to lose of signal when not facing the receiver.
    Probably why you see most of their promotional pics with the transmitters clipped onto the front of people's shirts and jackets, fully visible.

Actually saw a local TV station interview, sometime last year, and they were using one. It was obviously a "VJ/MMJ" doing the story, but the interview subject had the transmitter clipped onto their top of the shirt using the in-built mic.

5. Collapse Details
    You guys are giving me a headache with two threads on the same topic. I like you filmguy, but Martin Scorsese beat you to the scoop. Can we keep the conversation to Martin's thread for us old people? Hey, if you don't like old people, ... you know, those horrible Boomers, and want to tell me to take a hike, I understand. I had my day in the sun.
    Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    You guys are giving me a headache with two threads on the same topic. I like you filmguy, but Martin Scorsese beat you to the scoop. Can we keep the conversation to Martin's thread for us old people? Hey, if you don't like old people, ... you know, those horrible Boomers, and want to tell me to take a hike, I understand. I had my day in the sun.
    Ha, I didn't even realize there was another thread - I just had to go search to find it. We generally keep all new product announcements here, not subdivided into the topical sub-forums. Apologies for the dupe. If only we had any mods left to merge the threads

For continued discussion, please redirect here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...Wireless-Go-II

7. Collapse Details
    Yeah, Rode, even though they make audio products, isn't a direct competitor in the market segment that Zaxcom(or Lectrosonics) serves. You could buy about five or six of those new Rode Go II's for what just one Zaxcom transmitter costs. Even a lone Sanken COS-11 costs more.

If Rode didn't license Zax's patent and the US model's will in-fact have dual transmit/record ability, I'd love to see them duke it out. Maybe this is the opening that all the other manufacturers need. Especially if Rode were to win.

And I STILL don't understand how Zaxcom is able to make manufacturers turn off audio outputs on the "mini" recorders, though...

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    ... And I STILL don't understand how Zaxcom is able to make manufacturers turn off audio outputs on the "mini" recorders, though...
    If you ever need a patent lawyer, call Zaxcom for referrals.

9. Collapse Details
    Well, in my ignorance, I didn't notice what forum the threads were in. I just scan through 'new posts'.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Well, in my ignorance, I didn't notice what forum the threads were in. I just scan through 'new posts'.
    Thatís cause youíre a pro! In my ignorance, I just came straight to industry news.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast