Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Newsshooter review of the wireless Go: https://www.newsshooter.com/2021/02/...-go-ii-review/

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Newsshooter review of the wireless Go: https://www.newsshooter.com/2021/02/...-go-ii-review/
    Interesting review.

"The internal recordings being done directly to the TX units sound a lot better to me than the wireless audio that is being recorded. No real surprises there."

Why is it no surprises? Compression of the file before transmission?

The product isn’t without its issues or problems. The fact that you need to hook your Wireless GO II up to a computer to make changes through the RØDE Central app is far from ideal. Not being able to access key settings on the unit itself or through a mobile app is a big problem. The internal recordings are fine, but there really should be a way of stopping and starting the recordings from the actual device. Having one long recording is far from ideal in a lot of shooting environments. Not being able to edit these files in RØDE Central app is also an issue. The units are all susceptible to audio breakups if you are not using them line of sight.
    It sounds like he got up to 82' distance in Tokyo without dropouts and the transmission passing through the subject. Not bad!

I found that if the TX units were not facing the RX unit then the range got diminished greatly. When I placed the TX units on the front of a subject and had then walk away from the RX then I started to get audio dropouts within around 25m (82ft)
    The only thing that worries me is having multiple people block the transmission. Like people are passing in and out of your shot or you can only see the subject's face and there are many bodies between the camera and the transmitter in their pocket. I imagine this would limit the range substantially more?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Interesting review.

Why is it no surprises? Compression of the file before transmission?
    That is a surprise. The recordings should be identical. I need to test this further...

4. Collapse Details
    Well, for what it is worth, I have been testing my newly arrived Rode Wireless GO II last night and today (when the rugby allowed). It is pretty much as expected, and I have posted a blog about my tests (not a review), with many of the WAV files included. I was particularly keen to see what the audio quality of the system was, outside the limitations of the on-board mics or a plugged-in lav (with high self-noise), so that was a particular focus.

Here's a link to my post with the test: https://drbadphil.com/testing-the-ne...wireless-go-ii

Cheers,

Roland

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    I've uploaded samples of the wireless files and internally recorded backup files from the Rode Wireless Go II. They were recorded with the onboard mic on the TX unit (At one point I went into my kitchen and you can hear the fridge running :/) but I'm hard pressed to hear a difference as noted by the Newsshooter reviewer. I did, however, have to add about 12db of gain to the internal recording to match the one recorded to my camera. I'm assuming this is because the preamp on the TX is working alone instead of being boosted by the camera preamp. A7SIII @ level 5 and Rode 0 db (highest gain setting)...

https://we.tl/t-FOBjOEOgC5

6. Collapse Details
    Cool
    They were recorded with the onboard mic on the TX unit (At one point I went into my kitchen and you can hear the fridge running :/) but I'm hard pressed to hear a difference as noted by the Newsshooter reviewer.
    Yeah, I'm not hearing any real difference. Maybe in a quieter room with a better mic you might hear something.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    Yeah, I'm not hearing any real difference. Maybe in a quieter room with a better mic you might hear something.
    Then try listening to the samples I posted! The guitar is recorded with 7dBA LDC mics in a quiet room...I also cut out any effect from camera preamps etc.. I don't hear a big difference either.

R

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwback View Post
    Well, for what it is worth, I have been testing my newly arrived Rode Wireless GO II last night and today
    Here's a link to my post with the test: https://drbadphil.com/testing-the-ne...wireless-go-iiRoland
    Thanks for the test results. I like reading from a range of people because whether it fits your workflow is more important than the specs.

One of things I didn't pickup on until I read Newshooter. Not being able to monitor what you're recording. I'm assume he means the RX doesn't have a headphone jack so if your camera doesn't have one you can't listen to what you're recording.

I'd agree having to use a computer to access settings isn't great although I'm not sure what settings you'd need to change. Once I setup my wireless the only time I've need to change it to a line input from a sound board. Btw, can this system take a line input?

Listening to the audio samples it's hard for me to hear any differences.

9. Collapse Details
    I don't believe there's a headphone in, Peter.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    Thanks for the test results. I like reading from a range of people because whether it fits your workflow is more important than the specs.

One of things I didn't pickup on until I read Newshooter. Not being able to monitor what you're recording. I'm assume he means the RX doesn't have a headphone jack so if your camera doesn't have one you can't listen to what you're recording.

I'd agree having to use a computer to access settings isn't great although I'm not sure what settings you'd need to change. Once I setup my wireless the only time I've need to change it to a line input from a sound board. Btw, can this system take a line input?

Listening to the audio samples it's hard for me to hear any differences.
    Well, to be fair, most fully professional, high-end, multi-thousand dollar receivers(like my Lectrosonics 411A's, SRb's and SRc's) do not have headphone jacks. You need to be monitoring the audio from the mixer or camera(in the case when the Rx is plugged directly into a cam). It doesn't mean anything if the audio sounds good at the headphone jack on the Rx and the levels are set incorrectly on the camera, but because you weren't monitoring the camera, you didn't catch that the camera recording is fried or too low.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast