Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    +1 Roland. Magical for the price and I'm sure Rode will continue to improve them.

Chris Young

2. Collapse Details
    Thing is, I can always rebuy later when the kinks are worked out.

I honestly don’t use a lot of wireless anymore anyway, so I can wait it out.
    JERBCO, Ltd.
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwback View Post
    I don't have any particular insights into how to communicate with Rode, Nathan: I've just used their 'contact support' section on their website, but can't say I've been bowled over by their responsiveness! Certainly worth hustling them about Rode Central's inadequacies: your point about a lack of ability to export all files in one go, as part of a regular download process, seems particularly valid. Do keep us posted if you get any response.

Cheers,

Roland
    By way of an update, Rode (Australia) got back to me overnight in a very positive and friendly email, apologizing for responsiveness falling below their normal standards, and thanking me for my detailed feedback on bugs etc. A couple of specific things arising:

1. The length of the uncompressed files. The Services and Support contact said that the 'uncompressed files being divided at 30mins 44secs is indeed intentional, as this is partly what was required for the app to export the uncompressed files smoothly. I'll also let the marketing team know to make that correction on the website, thank you for bringing that to my attention.' Nothing very technical in this, but it is useful to know that the length is intentional and likely to stay as such.

2. Rode Central. The Services and Support contact said 'Please also always feel free to let me know if there's anything further which can be improved with the Wireless GO II/RØDE Central app, the more feedback the better, and your correspondence in particular has been valuable.' In addition to the three bug fixes, the syncing of the two TX units, the clunky/flaky USB connection, and that it would be useful if when exporting a file the software could recall where a file was last exported to (having to go all the way to the same folder each time is a chore), all of which I had covered previously, in my response today I flagged up the following potential improvements: exporting of all or selected TX recordings rather than individual ones only (Nathan's good point); some numerical values being added to the levels displays; and the ability to set the TX unit input gain to prevent clipping with very loud sources/more sensitive external lavs (of course, only desirable if via the RX unit and not Rode Central). I'm not certain how feasible any of these are (especially the last), but one can only ask, esp. if invited to do so!

Cheers,

Roland

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Likewise I've had a positive response from Rode (via the info@rode.com email) and they've said they're open to suggestions.

This I what I sent them as my wishlist -

1. Automatic Naming of Exported Files
    One of the issues with the system is finding a way to match up TX recordings with camera rushes. Obviously having time of day timecode in the exported file would be ideal.But a simpler way of doing it would be to automatically name each exported file with the time of recording.
    Currently the default name is the not particularly helpful REC0001.Instead it could use the timecode to generate a unique name that would make syncing much easier eg TX1_20210403_110402
    Even better each unit could have a customisable name:
    eg JohnSmithAudio_20210403_110402

2. Batch export
    I can imagine most times when I'm using these mics I'll want to download all the days audio just for safety. Currently this is a very time consuming process.I understand the speed of transfer may be limited by hardware - but at least if there were batch export I could set it up and leave it running.Currently I have to sit and do perhaps a dozen files one at a time.So either a way to select multiple files and export those or to choose a range (eg all recordings in a date range). Each file should be automatically named as above.

3. In and Out marking
    It's great the app has the option to export a selection - but currently this is cumbersome.
    If I've got a long clip and I've found the short section I want to export, I need to scroll to the end and drag the end marker all the way back to the area of interest (and the same for the start).
    Could we have buttons to simply set the In / Out at the current playhead?

There are of course many other features that would be lovely to have (like input level adjustment and ability to stop/start recording) but I believe these 3 suggestions should all be relatively simple to do but would make the system much more useful.
    The only other general feedback is I find the connection between PC (Windows 10) and RX unit quite unreliable. I often get errors and warnings the storage hasn't mounted properly.These are fixed by unplugging and replugging the unit but that's not ideal.

Thanks for making such a great product and listening to feedback,

5. Collapse Details
    All good suggestions. I would also add that in the absence of 32bit float and given the inability to record a safety track in outside of merged mode, a limiter would be great.

6. Collapse Details
    Yes, good suggestions Nathan.

Scorsesfan: yes a limiter added via firmware could be of some use (digital limiters in handheld recorders are often of...er...limited use), as long as it can be turned off - I wouldn't want to be stuck with it all the time.

Cheers,

Roland

7. Collapse Details
    I'm currently using a pair of G3s running into a sound devices mix pre in a bag on my shoulder with a 1/8" cable running up to my GH5 on a gimbal. This Rode Go II setup looks like it could be a great replacement for that - any opinions on why or why not switch to this setup?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlSutton View Post
    I'm currently using a pair of G3s running into a sound devices mix pre in a bag on my shoulder with a 1/8" cable running up to my GH5 on a gimbal. This Rode Go II setup looks like it could be a great replacement for that - any opinions on why or why not switch to this setup?
    This is exactly what I'm wondering, although I currently just record dual system sound when on gimbal and sync later.

I'm a little concerned about the reliability of the system - both the wireless connection and the fact that the mic input is not a locking connector. Not sure how much of a problem that last part is in practice. but I wouldn't want to end up with just a recording from the TX mic in someone's pocket.

I suppose you could use the rode go as a bridge between your mixpre and your camera so that at least you're not running cable to the gimbal. It would have the advantage of maintaining the audio quality you're getting from your G3s/mixpre and keeping that recording as a backup, whilst the Go's wireless connection seems bulletproof at such a short distance of shoulder to camera. But one could do that set-up with the original Go and you're increasing the complexity of your audio rig instead of simplifying it...

9. Collapse Details
    I'm in a similar situation mostly shooting on a GH5 with gimbal.
    Currently if I'm filming one person I'll attach the RX (G3 or Rode Filmmaker) to the top of the GH5 and feed the audio straight in.

If it's 2 people I'll send the two mics into a zoom H4N and record there. Usually sync in post (though sometimes I might feed the audio from the Zoom Heaphone Out into the GH5 to save time)

But now planning to replace all of that with the Wireless Go 2.

I'm hoping this will actually be more reliable. Yes there's the wireless connection but in tests I've done it's been flawless at the kind of distance I'm filming at 99% of the time.
    And with the addition of TX unit recording this setup should be significantly more reliable.

I wouldn't worry at all about the mic input not locking. You'd have to pull pretty hard to pull it out and frankly if anyone is pulling that hard on the cable I'd rather it came out than put that much stress on the cable.
    And if it were to happen you'd notice so that's not a problem.

By far the weakest link in my current setup is user error - forgetting to hit record on the zoom.
    Just by removing that element the new setup should be safer (as well as smaller and simpler).

I should add this is all just a plan. I've not yet used the Wireless Go 2 for real - just lots of tests.
    Will report back once I have actually used it.
    Nathan Williams - Documentary Film Maker
    Loves the Lumix GH5 / Blender / DJI Mini 2
    www.nwilliams.co.uk

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    I used to do this too with a zoom F4 in the bag but in fast run & gun I would sometimes miss a take or just leave the F4 rolling & then have a lot more work on the post side syncing. Interesting thought of tethering my current setup with an original Rode go. My main goal is to remove the tether to the camera to be more free with the gimbal but still have good audio on the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by nathankw View Post
    I'm in a similar situation mostly shooting on a GH5 with gimbal.
    Currently if I'm filming one person I'll attach the RX (G3 or Rode Filmmaker) to the top of the GH5 and feed the audio straight in.

If it's 2 people I'll send the two mics into a zoom H4N and record there. Usually sync in post (though sometimes I might feed the audio from the Zoom Heaphone Out into the GH5 to save time)

But now planning to replace all of that with the Wireless Go 2.

I'm hoping this will actually be more reliable. Yes there's the wireless connection but in tests I've done it's been flawless at the kind of distance I'm filming at 99% of the time.
    And with the addition of TX unit recording this setup should be significantly more reliable.

I wouldn't worry at all about the mic input not locking. You'd have to pull pretty hard to pull it out and frankly if anyone is pulling that hard on the cable I'd rather it came out than put that much stress on the cable.
    And if it were to happen you'd notice so that's not a problem.

By far the weakest link in my current setup is user error - forgetting to hit record on the zoom.
    Just by removing that element the new setup should be safer (as well as smaller and simpler).

I should add this is all just a plan. I've not yet used the Wireless Go 2 for real - just lots of tests.
    Will report back once I have actually used it.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast