Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Yep my experience with BM is to have an external power for main shooting and if you need a shot from inside a fridge or on a car dashboard be very happy that internal power will get you that shot without having to rig a battery.

2. Collapse Details
    Overall im battling in my head the value of an AF free camera. AF does some wonderful things like a bobbing interview or dancer. The sort of things you see in a YT demo of AF. But often these shots are done after a menu dive that takes so long you would have missed the shot. Im still finding that with MF I know that Im interested in the onions not the chopping board or the hands or the knife.

It can take a lot of time to tell AF that onions not hands or knife is your thing. By which time they are chopped and in the pan leaving you dreaming of the simplicity of MF and your director wondering why you missed another shot.

My main desire for AF is some specific shots..
    -on a gimbal
    -telephoto walk towards
    -in the sun where you cant MF cos you cant see your screen
    -macro product slider towards

As a handheld walkabout camera Id probably be happy with MF especially where one can see because one has some NITs and also an EVF.

Overall Im a fan of the BM image and meues doubtless this camera matches or bests the ones before. Although cost is not nothing.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I agree about AF but with these style of cameras, in many ways AF acts like the "third hand". Hand holding a DLSRM is complicated if the scene changes. You need support, guidance and well as free fingers and hands to adjust. It is often too much to do everything. With good peaking one can do pretty well but your hand position is pretty much glued to one approach (for me that is left hand under the lens for focus and right hand on the camera body). This position favors low camera level shooting for the most stable shots. IBIS really helps.

In contrast, with reliable AF and IBIS one can hold the camera in many different ways and get solid results. Most importantly, following the needs of the filming, not the ergonomics.

But in reality, a lot of the paid work ends up being manual focus. It is heavily dependent on the type of work that comes your way. From a value point of view, one can't go wrong with this new BM camera for $3,000 with the viewfinder.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post

But in reality, a lot of the paid work ends up being manual focus.
    There's a lot of paid work I do (interviews with unmanned angles, gimbal and slider stuff) that benefits hugely from autofocus. And even in handheld and tripod situations where you're happy to manually focus, there are times when it's nice to turn AF on for a particular shot.

You KNOW that if the Alexa had an autofocus update and arri came out with fancy autofocus lenses, you'd be reading interviews in american cinematographer from some DP who used it about all the options it opened up.

Certainly, for shallow DOF walk-and-talks where keeping a face in focus is the only challenge, it could probably do a better job than almost any human.

The biggest problem with AF that I see is how it limits your lens selection.

But generally speaking, as with all features, I'd rather have a camera that had it than a camera that didn't even if I use it infrequently.

But for the mostly OMB stuff I do and wide use of gimbal, autofocus is a treat

5. Collapse Details
    I just did this mod to the 6K PRO in 10 mins.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUrdzux

https://woodencamera.com/products/pl...nema-camera-6k

Also my BMD branded 3500 MH batteries are lasting over an hour recording regular frame rates to CFAST, using 100 percent brightness screen and some EVF....

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Do you see this unit finding its way onto your serious work, John? I feel like the UMP 12K is already small enough for you to do handheld (and smaller might be too small) and you don't really need the sensitivity boost on your lit sets, no?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Do you see this unit finding its way onto your serious work, John? I feel like the UMP 12K is already small enough for you to do handheld (and smaller might be too small) and you don't really need the sensitivity boost on your lit sets, no?
    I've not used the 6K at all previously on my sets. Occasionally the 4K because with an MFT lens it's small.

And yes, you're right, the 12K isn't much bigger for the style of shooting I do and I much prefer it's look from the RGBW sensor.

So in all probability this is a more useful camera to me as an EF mount camera for scouts or as a directors viewfinder on set. It doesn't tick a lot of boxes FOR ME in the type of work I do.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Also my BMD branded 3500 MH batteries are lasting over an hour recording regular frame rates to CFAST, using 100 percent brightness screen and some EVF....

JB[/QUOTE]

Single battery or via grip?

9. Collapse Details
    Single internal battery

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    A lot of the potential buyers complaining that the BMD PCC 6K Pro lacks usable AF don't get it, it is a mini cinema camera. Not really the right tool for events, weddings and documentary UNLESS you are cool with MF only and
    many are. But in my mind, after shooting with the PCC 6K and the UMP G2, if AF is important to you, buy a Sony or Canon. If it's not, the PCC 6K Pro opens up a huge new value equation as far as bang for the buck and they really can
    make amazing images that compete far, far above their price level. I like the AF on my C200/300 MKII and even on the X-T3s but I would still like a PCC 6K Pro because it's just a different tool for different situations and I like the look and
    features. BMD is killing it. If they ever do get great AF, they could be a real threat to Sony and Canon. Their reliability seems better these days too than a few years ago.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast