Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by icarusfilm View Post
    Are other people noticing a significant lag when using a monitor not that problematic for satatinary shots really disorientating in motion
    Most of the HDMI output cameras I've worked with exhibit some processing delay - usually between 2 and 7 frames.

Set up a 'behind the scenes' shot with a second camera that shows your camera's lcd, external monitor and subject being photographed - and have then do some hand claps. Play back in an NLE to see how many frames apart the hand clap is. I was surprised how large some of the delays were. (Don't forget to try at different output resolutions!) And I was also surprised that two cameras of the same model would sometimes yield slightly different results.

2. Collapse Details
    Yes I owned a smallhd focus 5 for a minute and I found the lag unmanageable and returned it. Iíll try the port keys see what that does

QUOTE=OnSet;1986858636]Most of the HDMI output cameras I've worked with exhibit some processing delay - usually between 2 and 7 frames.

Set up a 'behind the scenes' shot with a second camera that shows your camera's lcd, external monitor and subject being photographed - and have then do some hand claps. Play back in an NLE to see how many frames apart the hand clap is. I was surprised how large some of the delays were. (Don't forget to try at different output resolutions!) And I was also surprised that two cameras of the same model would sometimes yield slightly different results.[/QUOTE]

3. Collapse Details
    Yes I owned a smallhd focus 5 for a minute and I found the lag unmanageable and returned it. I’ll try the port keys see what that does

QUOTE=OnSet;1986858636]Most of the HDMI output cameras I've worked with exhibit some processing delay - usually between 2 and 7 frames.

Set up a 'behind the scenes' shot with a second camera that shows your camera's lcd, external monitor and subject being photographed - and have then do some hand claps. Play back in an NLE to see how many frames apart the hand clap is. I was surprised how large some of the delays were. (Don't forget to try at different output resolutions!) And I was also surprised that two cameras of the same model would sometimes yield slightly different results.
    [/QUOTE]

Not sure how bad it is with the S1h, but all of my panny cams have had really bad hdmi port lag (on the camera side), so it didn't matter which monitor I used since nearly all of the delay was coming from the GH5, GH5s, etc.

I didn't find the smallhd focus 5 to be meaningfully worse than my other monitors. It was the camera. The Focus 5 is perfectly fine on my blackmagic cams, for example.

4. Collapse Details
    Set up a 'behind the scenes' shot with a second camera that shows your camera's lcd, external monitor and subject being photographed - and have then do some hand claps. Play back in an NLE to see how many frames apart the hand clap is.
    I prefer to shoot an iPad or phone showing full-screen free-run timecode. It is easy to pause play back and measure the exact delay just by subtracting one TC value from the other.

5. Collapse Details
    Matt, thanks for the recommendation the Portkeys BM5 is very nice and love the case so it can just drop in my bag.

Hey Doug, hope all is well?

6. Collapse Details
    Resident Preditor Matt Gottshalk's Avatar
    Excellent, glad it worked or you, Paul.

Best,

MG
    Matt Gottshalk
    Director of Production
    BPI.tv

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
    Hey Doug, hope all is well?
    Hey Paul, things are going well but I'm bogged down in the production of an FX6 master class. I'm really, really, looking forward to getting this project done so I can take some time off. It's like childbirth. If I really remembered how awful it was to do the last one, I'd never do another. We're hoping to get up your way this summer so we defiinitely need to get together if things are starting to get back to normal.

8. Collapse Details
    Ah yes, you say that every time you do a Master Class. Glad both of you are well. Be great to catch up this summer an get you out sailing, dinner on the porch and some stock shooting. Fingers crossed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12